Coffee and Sweeteners

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
Just read this stat (I have asked where it is from for verification and will add a link here shortly):
27% of coffee consumers in USA add a sweetener of some kind to their coffee, compared with 57% in UK.
I would also like to add there are regional differences in the USA % as well. As well as "professional" differences. I find more "Dunkin Donuts" crowd as I call them, ie NE, use cream and sugar or typically artificial sweeteners in their coffee and drink more of it. In other words, there is equal cream and sugar to coffee, I can almost count on one guest using the entire creamer (most of the time).
I also find those who work in the military and/or are now public sector or contracting for military drink it black.
I would say the UK % on this stat is low. I would bet it is higher than this. A dash of milk to tea then cream and lots of sugar for coffee.
Southerners typically drink only one cup, and will sugar it up if at the inn, but at home it is had simpler.
What have you found in your experience at your inn?

When we lived in Boston, I worked at a coffee house. "Regular coffee" was caffinated coffee with cream and sugar. Cream, not milk. Everytime. All the time. Standard.
Around here, you ask for "Coffee". Then you say, with cream, or sugar, or black, or whatever...yes regional differences amuse me.

When we lived in Boston, I worked at a coffee house. "Regular coffee" was caffinated coffee with cream and sugar. Cream, not milk. Everytime. All the time. Standard.
Around here, you ask for "Coffee". Then you say, with cream, or sugar, or black, or whatever...yes regional differences amuse me..
'Regular' coffee IS with cream & sugar! I have the hardest time with that when guests ask what's the difference between the 'brown' pot and the 'orange' pot. Instead of saying 'regular and decaf' I have to say 'high test & decaf'.
I can't say I've studied the guests enough to know what area of the country drinks their coffee or tea with what amounts of cream or sugar. The only 'for sure' is that the PacNW doesn't like our coffee at all, nor do the Italians. Both say it is too weak for their tastes. Whereas the Italians will drink it, a lot of it, the PacNWers will sit and frown and expect us to produce the type of coffee they want to drink. When we don't, they go to a coffee shop for it the next day and bring it back and place it prominently on their table. Que sera, sera.
There are guests who will use the entire creamer for themselves. I wish I knew in advance who they would be so I could prep another creamer for their table in advance.
Sugars- of all the fake sugars out there, the yellow one is used the most, followed by the blue one, the pink one brings up the rear. Raw sugar goes pretty quickly around here, but regular sugar leads the pack. I go through a fair amount of honey in a year as well.
Some guests put half a pack of hot cocoa mix in their coffee.

Here are some more stats (none of these verified at all fyi and are at odds with the first post, so there ya go):
[COLOR= rgb(153, 153, 153)]Over 50% of Americans over 18 years of age drink coffee every day. This represents over 150 million daily drinkers. 30 million American adults drink specialty coffee beverages daily; which include a mocha, latte, espresso, café mocha, cappuccino, frozen/iced coffee beverages, etc.[/COLOR]
Coffee statistics show that among coffee drinkers the average consumption in the United States is 3.1 cups of coffee per day.
[FONT= 'Times New Roman']
right_boxed_arrow.gif
[/FONT][FONT= 'Times New Roman'] [/FONT][FONT= 'Times New Roman']Women indicated that drinking coffee is a good way to relax. Men indicated that coffee helps them get the job done[/FONT]
[tr]
right_boxed_arrow.gif
The average price for an espresso based drink is $2.45[/td][/tr][tr] [/td][td] [/td][td] [/td][td] [/td][td] [/td][/tr][tr] [/td]
right_boxed_arrow.gif
The average price for brewed coffee is $1.38.[/td][/tr][/table]
[tr]
right_boxed_arrow.gif
35% of coffee drinkers prefer black coffee[/td][/tr][tr] [/td][td] [/td][td] [/td][/tr][tr]
right_boxed_arrow.gif
65% prefer to add sugar and/or cream[/td][/tr][/table]

In Miami, coffee comes in a little plastic "shot glass" - the size cup you'd squirt some ketchup into at Wendy's, and it's black and very, very sweet...unless you ask for "American coffee," then it's like anywhere else, but you do have to add your own sweetner and cream to the American coffee if you like.

Here are some more stats (none of these verified at all fyi and are at odds with the first post, so there ya go):
[COLOR= rgb(153, 153, 153)]Over 50% of Americans over 18 years of age drink coffee every day. This represents over 150 million daily drinkers. 30 million American adults drink specialty coffee beverages daily; which include a mocha, latte, espresso, café mocha, cappuccino, frozen/iced coffee beverages, etc.[/COLOR]
Coffee statistics show that among coffee drinkers the average consumption in the United States is 3.1 cups of coffee per day.
right_boxed_arrow.gif
[/FONT][FONT= 'Times New Roman'] [/FONT][FONT= 'Times New Roman']Women indicated that drinking coffee is a good way to relax. Men indicated that coffee helps them get the job done[/FONT]
[tr]
right_boxed_arrow.gif
The average price for an espresso based drink is $2.45[/td][/tr][tr] [/td][td] [/td][td] [/td][td] [/td][td] [/td][/tr][tr] [/td]
right_boxed_arrow.gif
[tr]
right_boxed_arrow.gif
35% of coffee drinkers prefer black coffee[/td][/tr][tr] [/td][td] [/td][td] [/td][/tr][tr]
right_boxed_arrow.gif
65% prefer to add sugar and/or cream[/td][/tr][/table].
Joey Bloggs said:
right_boxed_arrow.gif
[tr] [/td][/tr][tr] [/td][td] [/td][td] [/td][td] [/td][td] [/td][/tr][tr] [/td] [/td][/tr][/table]
[tr]
right_boxed_arrow.gif
[/td][/tr][tr] [/td][td] [/td][td] [/td][/tr][tr]
right_boxed_arrow.gif

[/td][/tr][/table]
Now that is interesting.

right_boxed_arrow.gif
[tr]
right_boxed_arrow.gif
right_boxed_arrow.gif
[tr]
right_boxed_arrow.gif
right_boxed_arrow.gif
65% prefer to add sugar and/or cream[/td][/tr][/table].
Joey Bloggs said:
right_boxed_arrow.gif
[tr] [/td][/tr][tr] [/td][td] [/td][td] [/td][td] [/td][td] [/td][/tr][tr] [/td] [/td][/tr][/table]
[tr]
right_boxed_arrow.gif
right_boxed_arrow.gif

[/td][/tr][/table]
Now that is interesting.
Alibi Ike said:
Joey Bloggs said:
right_boxed_arrow.gif
[tr]
right_boxed_arrow.gif
right_boxed_arrow.gif

[/td][/tr][/table]
Now that is interesting.
I can see why...Maxwell house or folgers ads. Maxwell House/folgers are almost like the B&B promotion ads of the coffee world, imo

In this neck of the woods, regular coffee is black and fairly strong. I always think that many of the sweetened coffee drinks were aimed at bringing the younger generation into the coffee "fold". Not unlike the "pop" wines and alcohol drinks out there. I think, like chocolate, if you really like it, you want it dark/black.

Around here, you ask for "Coffee". Then you say, with cream, or sugar, or black, or whatever...yes regional differences amuse me..
'Regular' coffee IS with cream & sugar! I have the hardest time with that when guests ask what's the difference between the 'brown' pot and the 'orange' pot. Instead of saying 'regular and decaf' I have to say 'high test & decaf'.
I can't say I've studied the guests enough to know what area of the country drinks their coffee or tea with what amounts of cream or sugar. The only 'for sure' is that the PacNW doesn't like our coffee at all, nor do the Italians. Both say it is too weak for their tastes. Whereas the Italians will drink it, a lot of it, the PacNWers will sit and frown and expect us to produce the type of coffee they want to drink. When we don't, they go to a coffee shop for it the next day and bring it back and place it prominently on their table. Que sera, sera.
There are guests who will use the entire creamer for themselves. I wish I knew in advance who they would be so I could prep another creamer for their table in advance.
Sugars- of all the fake sugars out there, the yellow one is used the most, followed by the blue one, the pink one brings up the rear. Raw sugar goes pretty quickly around here, but regular sugar leads the pack. I go through a fair amount of honey in a year as well.
Here it is yellow, pink, then blue. The green one just sits there (a stevia blend), mostly I think because people do not know what it is or the "nature" folks would probably be using it. DH does not like the green one either.

My green goes first, then yellow (prob due to the witty sayings on the packet!)
Funny white pine, I feel it is the opposite, the sugary sweetened drinks are always the older folks here. There is no coffee fold enticement needed for the younger crowd, they have been doing coffee for a long long time, even the middleschoolers do espresso these days, Fivebucks has a gazillion stores worldwide, then the rest of the coffee places follow in their wake... Sure they have all the "fancy" blends etc to sell more coffee, but who can afford those!
TRUE STORY TIME (I have shared this before here):
I had a good friend who I believe went bankrupt drinking espresso. I am totally serious.
She would have one in the morning, another midday waiting for a client and another on her way home from a job/work. She drank the fancier triple shot this or that, which was $7.00 a pop total (ten years ago).
We sat down and I calculated how much "this habit" was costing her, as she couldn't pay her bills and was making 6 figures, she had NO IDEA what was going on. The convenience factor was very costly! As you know if you live in the NW, you have espresso in every grocery store and yeah, it smells good, all the carts have drink holders for coffee. Its easy to want one and get one...very easy.
Let me do the math for y'all:
$7 a coffee (rounding it to $7 due to tax and sometimes tip) x 3 times per day x 7 days per week = $147 per week x 4 weeks per month = $588 per month (for one person). There were two in her family. He did the same sort of job (real estate appraiser) $1176 for one month of coffee for the TWO OF THEM. Two people in coffee for 12 mo's in a year = $14,112.00
That is $70,560.00 in coffee in JUST 5 years. So add to that other lifestyle poor decisions (nails, hair and wardrobe, for example) and bang, no money. ZILCH.

having grown up in the Hotel industry we drink it strong enough that the spoon stands up lol though white and with a ton of sugar.

Funny white pine, I feel it is the opposite, the sugary sweetened drinks are always the older folks here. There is no coffee fold enticement needed for the younger crowd, they have been doing coffee for a long long time, even the middleschoolers do espresso these days, Fivebucks has a gazillion stores worldwide, then the rest of the coffee places follow in their wake... Sure they have all the "fancy" blends etc to sell more coffee, but who can afford those!
I had a good friend who I believe went bankrupt drinking espresso. I am totally serious.
She would have one in the morning, another midday waiting for a client and another on her way home from a job/work. She drank the fancier triple shot this or that, which was $7.00 a pop total (ten years ago).
We sat down and I calculated how much "this habit" was costing her, as she couldn't pay her bills and was making 6 figures, she had NO IDEA what was going on. The convenience factor was very costly! As you know if you live in the NW, you have espresso in every grocery store and yeah, it smells good, all the carts have drink holders for coffee. Its easy to want one and get one...very easy.
$7 a coffee (rounding it to $7 due to tax and sometimes tip) x 3 times per day x 7 days per week = $147 per week x 4 weeks per month = $588 per month (for one person). There were two in her family. He did the same sort of job (real estate appraiser) $1176 for one month of coffee for the TWO OF THEM. Two people in coffee for 12 mo's in a year = $14,112.00
That is $70,560.00 in coffee in JUST 5 years. So add to that other lifestyle poor decisions (nails, hair and wardrobe, for example) and bang, no money. ZILCH..
I know! people are such nana heads about where the small money goes Ive been assessing all the little things while we are quiet like how much bottles of mini shampoo cost we have changed to brand 3p cheaper which will save us £22 over a year (I know this isn't much) but I am also changing gas, electric and phone suppliers and in total just by shopping I should save about $1000 maybe more over a year for doing nothing.
This is my mantra
MAKING MONEY IS NOT JUST ABOUT GETTING MONEY IN IT IS ALSO ABOUT NOT LETTING MONEY OUT!

That is $70,560.00 in coffee in JUST 5 years. So add to that other lifestyle poor decisions (nails, hair and wardrobe, for example) and bang, no money. ZILCH..
I know! people are such nana heads about where the small money goes Ive been assessing all the little things while we are quiet like how much bottles of mini shampoo cost we have changed to brand 3p cheaper which will save us £22 over a year (I know this isn't much) but I am also changing gas, electric and phone suppliers and in total just by shopping I should save about $1000 maybe more over a year for doing nothing.
This is my mantra
MAKING MONEY IS NOT JUST ABOUT GETTING MONEY IN IT IS ALSO ABOUT NOT LETTING MONEY OUT!
Another terrific t-shirt in the making!

I love strong coffee-we have a "seecret" that we've used at the B & B so we buy Fogers, Maxhouse or any reasonable priced "DARK" roasted coffee and then buy a small bag of good coffee and mix both of them and our guests LOVE it.

In Miami, coffee comes in a little plastic "shot glass" - the size cup you'd squirt some ketchup into at Wendy's, and it's black and very, very sweet...unless you ask for "American coffee," then it's like anywhere else, but you do have to add your own sweetner and cream to the American coffee if you like..
I LOVE Cuban coffee and Turkish coffee (similar as you described) - they are the only coffees that I drink that are sweetened with sugar. Yum!
tounge_smile.gif

I would say that our Southerners here do drink their coffee very sweet w/white sugar and no cream. I remember a few of the Dunkin' Donuts crowd of coffee drinkers that really added a lot of cream...tons!
Of the artificial sweeteners for coffee, first yellow and then green - very few takers on blue & pink (I still have a bunch as we don't use it). The sugar in the raw was more popular with folks from other regions and was probably used by them entirely rather than white sugar. A few folks tried the blue agave sweetener in their coffee but that seemed to be used mostly in teas.
I think black coffee was probably 65%-70%, and the rest took half and half. (Some folks really like the flavored Mini Moos and added several.) Only folks from outside of the U.S. requested plain milk in their coffee.
I do not brew weak coffee here....

Decaf coffee was usually popular with the more "health conscious" folks or people with health concerns that necessitated avoiding caffeine.

Since getting our half and half delivered from the local dairy and putting it out in their charming glass bottles we have about tripled the amount we use...people are just enamored of it. I'm a half and half lover myself so I'm glad they're happy with it.
We never go through any decaf unless there are seniors in the house. Seniors also tend to drink coffee black, the younger crowd loves their "sweet and light".

Since getting our half and half delivered from the local dairy and putting it out in their charming glass bottles we have about tripled the amount we use...people are just enamored of it. I'm a half and half lover myself so I'm glad they're happy with it.
We never go through any decaf unless there are seniors in the house. Seniors also tend to drink coffee black, the younger crowd loves their "sweet and light"..
That was something I was going to look for last year- those bottles. Back on the list of things to do!

Alibi Ike said:
'Regular' coffee IS with cream & sugar!
[/quote=Alibi Ike]
Where I grew up, it wasn't. That was SOOO hard for me to wrap my mind around. I wasn't from the East Coast. I grew up in MI. So for someone to ask me for a regular coffee, I'd give them a cuppa, black. :) My boss was annoyed the first few times, but once I explained it to him, he chuckled and said he'd never thought of it that way.
Alibi Ike said:
Now this, I love. Especially the flavored cocoa mixes from the Amish Bulk Food Stores. The raspberry cream hot cocoa in my coffee makes me sing! :)

Back