Coffee for the road

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
Do you make guests coffee for the road, ie when breakfast is complete, go and make another pot just for their to-go cups? Not feel free to take any with you (that is still there)?

If you have some coffee left from breakfast anyway, it sounds like another nice added amenity, something that keeps them thinking of you a while longer after they leave.
But making an extra pot, just in case some might want a cup to go, might lead to some waste if they don't take it.

NO never did that. If you really liked your guests and want to go out of your way..then do it..if it feels good. if not...Don't:)
If I had leftover I would ask if they wanted any to go, but normally not.

We offer the remaining coffee from breakfast as it stays hot in the air pots. If someone asked, I would fire up the Keurig to make a cup.
RIki

We have a Keurig they can use, however we have had to make more coffee for guests still having breakfast when someone has cleaned out the coffee pot by filling a Thermos to go. If that happens I do ask the seated guests if they'd like more coffee before starting the pot all over only to have them 'top off' and leave it sit.
To offer to make a pot of coffee 'to go' we haven't done. Mostly because everyone is going out during breakfast anyway, not too many still hanging around at 10 AM.

Never did that on purpose, but it seemed like we always had plenty of coffee left over in the carafes because we made multiple pots for the breakfast service - then there was tea, hot cocoa, cider, and these "latte" to go things that they could make with the hot water kettle. I'd probably have the Fivebucks to go coffee now.
We had individual coffee pots in 3 rooms, too and the Tassimo in the guest service area upstairs in the main house.
We had a lot of folks here for a recurring weekly event and it was held outside all year long, so hot "to go" beverages this time of year were always appreciated! Nothing at the event for them to buy.

i always made too much coffee ... i gave it away to all who'd take it ... the artist gallery next door, the egg man, the laundry man, the man who picked up the trash. 'course the general store didn't appreciate this. ha!

Our guests have coffee service in their rooms. Usually, by the time they get to breakfast they'll only want one cup. I don't know if we have ever had anyone ask for coffee to go. They often wrap up breakfast to eat later. DW breakfasts seldom go to waste. On second thought, they often go to waist.

I sometimes ask if they would like a coffee to go. Have not made another pot to do it that I can remember. What keeps the offer from being a regular item is the cost of the To-Go cups - those babies ain't cheap! I do get the larger cup size because if I am going to give them coffee, it is going to be a decent cuppa. It is usually my early departs that get asked if they want a cup to-go. I usually ask if they want a "care package of muffins" in my attempt to get those suckers OUT of here. The usuall answer is yes (they love getting something extra and I would just throw it out anyway - saddlebags are already over-sized).

I sometimes ask if they would like a coffee to go. Have not made another pot to do it that I can remember. What keeps the offer from being a regular item is the cost of the To-Go cups - those babies ain't cheap! I do get the larger cup size because if I am going to give them coffee, it is going to be a decent cuppa. It is usually my early departs that get asked if they want a cup to-go. I usually ask if they want a "care package of muffins" in my attempt to get those suckers OUT of here. The usuall answer is yes (they love getting something extra and I would just throw it out anyway - saddlebags are already over-sized)..
we are sometimes asked if we would make up a flask though I have never understood why as they have a kettle, coffee, tea and milk in their room and could easily make it up themselves. Whatever.

I sometimes ask if they would like a coffee to go. Have not made another pot to do it that I can remember. What keeps the offer from being a regular item is the cost of the To-Go cups - those babies ain't cheap! I do get the larger cup size because if I am going to give them coffee, it is going to be a decent cuppa. It is usually my early departs that get asked if they want a cup to-go. I usually ask if they want a "care package of muffins" in my attempt to get those suckers OUT of here. The usuall answer is yes (they love getting something extra and I would just throw it out anyway - saddlebags are already over-sized)..
gillumhouse said:
What keeps the offer from being a regular item is the cost of the To-Go cups - those babies ain't cheap!
Exactly. A cup of joe from the Keurig is no big deal (actually, I have a huge coffee jones, so the idea of any coffee going to waste here is a joke), but the cups...I'd need to purchase enough to bring the price per significantly down, then I'd need a place to store them where the guests might not "stumble upon" them and decide to use them for coffee in their rooms, on the porch....etc.

gillumhouse said:
What keeps the offer from being a regular item is the cost of the To-Go cups - those babies ain't cheap!
Exactly. A cup of joe from the Keurig is no big deal (actually, I have a huge coffee jones, so the idea of any coffee going to waste here is a joke), but the cups...I'd need to purchase enough to bring the price per significantly down, then I'd need a place to store them where the guests might not "stumble upon" them and decide to use them for coffee in their rooms, on the porch....etc.
I had the "to go" cups with lids right on the dining room buffet with the regular cups, teas, other hot beverages, etc. and people never took a bunch of them or used them throughout the rooms. I also had "to go" cups in the rooms that had coffee pots - same deal. So, it was very little expense and I'd pick them up when they were on sale. I think most people preferred to drink their coffee from something other than cardboard or styrofoam. We bought premium coffee and ground our beans.
It was really an amenity that people commented on, enjoyed, and didn't overuse and I was happy to provide it for them.

gillumhouse said:
Red Handed Jill said:
gillumhouse said:
YES! I get the 16 oz insulated cups (12% recycled fiber for those intereseted in "GREEN") with lids in a 24 pack at the office supply. I have very little storage space - it was not needed in 1912. With everything else we provide for free, it is not the cost of the coffee I will make coffee anytime (I drink coffee also and WILL drink whatever is there until it is gone ie when I make a 24-cup pot), but I remember being shocked at the price of the cups - don't remember what it was now, but it was HUH? when I saw it. Whatever I "give" to the guests I have to pay for, spend gas & time to get, and store. They expect bottles of water, some of you do cookies & treats and I do baskets with bananas & apples and sometimes pretzels, these are things a hotel would not consider. Yes, I know we are the better value - that is why we are struggling to make ends meet and fighting for guests with our marketing - WE GIVE!!!
To give stuff to-go is above and beyond and sounds like such a little thing. Remember this - back in the 70s when the "bean counters" took over the world, airlines saved millions by eliminating ONE olive in salads and the car companies saved a fortune by eliminating ONE NUT. Small things DO add up.

Back