Coffee Stains on Carpet

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Donald Draper

Reaction score
I'm having a Macbeth moment…spot clean, steam clean, scrub clean a light green carpet with a large coffee stain…we got to it right away as the guest came and got us when it happened. I clean it and it looks clean, next day it's back. I really thought I got it with the steam cleaner but no dice. I've tried Resolve, Spot Shot, and the Pet Cleaner that came with the Hoover steam cleaner. It does seem to be fading in darkness but not getting any smaller. I think vinegar will be my next try. Any other ideas?

The stain is probably in the pad. So, it dries out on top and then pulls the coffee from the still-damp pad.

Back a bit JON posted a site that was chalk full of ideas on how to remove spots from a whole lot of things. Maybe he could give you the site again . Good luck .In getting coffee out. Try good old vodka. It works 90% of the time for me.
found the site it is from University of Illinois extension. They say use white vinegar soap and 3% hydrogen peroxide.

Back a bit JON posted a site that was chalk full of ideas on how to remove spots from a whole lot of things. Maybe he could give you the site again . Good luck .In getting coffee out. Try good old vodka. It works 90% of the time for me.
found the site it is from University of Illinois extension. They say use white vinegar soap and 3% hydrogen peroxide..
Got it, vinegar for the carpet and vodka for me
wink_smile.gif

found the site it is from University of Illinois extension. They say use white vinegar soap and 3% hydrogen peroxide..
wink_smile.gif

Donald Draper said:
wink_smile.gif
I like mine with a twist!

We've had stains like what you're describing and the only way we were able to get them out permanently was to hire a professional. In fact we had it done just yesterday. About once a year we'll have a pro come in and the rest of the time we'll just do it ourselves.

wink_smile.gif

Donald Draper said:
wink_smile.gif
I like mine with a twist!
hahah You can tell us, that enjoy, a bit of libation for hard work rewards.

We've had stains like what you're describing and the only way we were able to get them out permanently was to hire a professional. In fact we had it done just yesterday. About once a year we'll have a pro come in and the rest of the time we'll just do it ourselves..
The best part is I had just steam cleaned the carpet in that room the day before the spill happened. Mother Murphy...
It's drying right now after cleaning with vinegar. It "looks" like it's gone, I was able to pull the carpet up away from the pad so hopefully if they dry separately it won't reappear.
When we replaced the dining room carpet last year we opted for the high end padding, it's wrapped in waterproof material so avoids this situation.

You know DONALD, I actually had a Don Draper stay here last week for four nights. I thought of you the whole time (if your ears were burning). That is his real name too.

You know DONALD, I actually had a Don Draper stay here last week for four nights. I thought of you the whole time (if your ears were burning). That is his real name too..
teeth_smile.gif
Bet he hates Matthew Weiner for creating Mad Men!

The white vinegar and baking soda is really helpful to remove any stains.. I tried it for my home Custom Carpet.. The dish washing detergent is also helpful to remove the stains from carpet..

FYI, it was hot water, a little Dawn dish soap, and some white vinegar all mixed together that finally took it out, plus being able to pull it up a little bit from the pad I think kept it from coming back. Thanks all.

FYI, it was hot water, a little Dawn dish soap, and some white vinegar all mixed together that finally took it out, plus being able to pull it up a little bit from the pad I think kept it from coming back. Thanks all..
Yay ,that is good to hear.

As per my suggestion using some petrol or any good cleanser might be a good option for cleaning and if you are about to go for the use of vinegar then before that you can go through the free stuff available at Denver's EcocleanCares.
Reference:www.ecocleancares.com/denver-free-cleaning-stuff

FYI, it was hot water, a little Dawn dish soap, and some white vinegar all mixed together that finally took it out, plus being able to pull it up a little bit from the pad I think kept it from coming back. Thanks all..
Donald Draper said:
FYI, it was hot water, a little Dawn dish soap, and some white vinegar all mixed together that finally took it out, plus being able to pull it up a little bit from the pad I think kept it from coming back. Thanks all.
What every innkeeper needs: Duck tape, WD40, Dawn Dish soap, hydrogen peroxide and vinegar.

Back