Coffee Supply?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for all your help! Coffee is a funny drink. It's very true about where your from. It's not like "where do you buy your Coke products from"? We are using a company called Standard now. I'm not getting the results I want. I think it's the same coffee Sonic uses. So JB you are correct. This is not what we should be serving. It's not bad. Just not great. I do have a really nice brewer. I would also like to get into specialty coffees and cappachinos. I think thi would be a nice addition. But the equipment is so much..
Bob said:
Thanks for all your help! Coffee is a funny drink.
You got THAT right! I've only had about 10 cups of coffee in my life that really "wowed" me (talking about plain coffee, with no flavoring added). In every case but one, it was at a hotel or "plain food" restaurant that used a commercial Bunn coffee maker. The lone exception was from an old fashioned percolator.
Other than those 10 cups, all the rest I've ever had was just coffee. Just average. I've never had any I'd really call bad. And I've had plenty of cups from the same Bunn machines that did NOT wow me. So I just don't know. Don't know if it was because of the weather that day, or what I had eaten earlier in the day or what.
I currently buy Eight O'Clock beans, grind them, and brew them in a drip coffee maker that was the top Consumer Reports pick because it gets the water to the ideal temperature (they say most machines don't). And the result: just coffee, nothing special.
Come to think of it, I haven't had a cup of wow in several years now. I'm fearing I've worn out my taste buds (really sense of smell)!
Arkansawyer said:
I currently buy Eight O'Clock beans, grind them, and brew them in a drip coffee maker that was the top Consumer Reports pick because it gets the water to the ideal temperature (they say most machines don't). And the result: just coffee, nothing special.
That's what we were using until we switched to a local roaster. We got really good compliments on the Eight O'Clock. Better compliments on the local roaster, tho. Bunn machine, filtered water. Water has a LOT to do with how the coffee tastes. We've sent a lot of guests to the grocery store to buy the blend we get. That tells me they really did like it and weren't just being nice.

I have to share this with you, this is a way to make a great cup of coffee!
Drip Brewing
Traditional drip brewing passes water through a bed of grounds. When the water first drips into the bed, it is too hot and bitterness is extracted. As the water filters downward through the bed, it becomes too cool and extraction is weak. The water doesn't contact all of the grounds uniformly. Grounds at the edge of the bed are under-extracted, while grounds at the center are over- extracted and contribute bitterness.
Total immersion of the grounds in the AeroPress completely solves these problems. All of the grounds contact the same water temperature, and the brewing process is short and sweet. The gentle air pressure of the AeroPress also extracts extra flavor from the coffee. Ordinary drip brewers leave a lot of flavor in their soggy grounds.
The drip method cannot make a robust single cup because the small amount of water doesn't heat the bed enough for rich extraction. It is also slow. AeroPress makes one to four servings with a single pressing in less than a minute. The flavor is equally rich for any number of cups.
video here

Wow! Do you have one, JB? If not, somebody order one and report back! Coffee is important!

Wow! Do you have one, JB? If not, somebody order one and report back! Coffee is important!.
Arkansawyer said:
Wow! Do you have one, JB? If not, somebody order one and report back! Coffee is important!
A super funky coffee roaster in a super funky one light town is having taste tests with all their coffees using this tomorrow. I can't make it, but i can see how I would love this! DH saw disaster waiting to happen, if he used it, he felt if the cup had a fracture he might bust it. I agree, need to test one in person. me likes me likes. :)

Thanks for all your help! Coffee is a funny drink. It's very true about where your from. It's not like "where do you buy your Coke products from"? We are using a company called Standard now. I'm not getting the results I want. I think it's the same coffee Sonic uses. So JB you are correct. This is not what we should be serving. It's not bad. Just not great. I do have a really nice brewer. I would also like to get into specialty coffees and cappachinos. I think thi would be a nice addition. But the equipment is so much..
There is NOTHING other than Coca Cola products where I live, Bob. Nothing...it would be bad form to serve anything else. Haha!

Drip Brewing
Traditional drip brewing passes water through a bed of grounds. When the water first drips into the bed, it is too hot and bitterness is extracted. As the water filters downward through the bed, it becomes too cool and extraction is weak. The water doesn't contact all of the grounds uniformly. Grounds at the edge of the bed are under-extracted, while grounds at the center are over- extracted and contribute bitterness.
Total immersion of the grounds in the AeroPress completely solves these problems. All of the grounds contact the same water temperature, and the brewing process is short and sweet. The gentle air pressure of the AeroPress also extracts extra flavor from the coffee. Ordinary drip brewers leave a lot of flavor in their soggy grounds.
The drip method cannot make a robust single cup because the small amount of water doesn't heat the bed enough for rich extraction. It is also slow. AeroPress makes one to four servings with a single pressing in less than a minute. The flavor is equally rich for any number of cups.
video here.
I would be happy if I had the French press that I want...but I will wait for it...

Wow! Do you have one, JB? If not, somebody order one and report back! Coffee is important!.
Arkansawyer said:
A super funky coffee roaster in a super funky one light town is having taste tests with all their coffees using this tomorrow. I can't make it, but i can see how I would love this! DH saw disaster waiting to happen, if he used it, he felt if the cup had a fracture he might bust it. I agree, need to test one in person. me likes me likes. :)
Joey Bloggs said:
...if he used it, he felt if the cup had a fracture he might bust it....
I thought the same but the physics major in me says the seal on the cup couldn't be that good.
I question some of the anti-drip statements. I've opened a dripper mid-cycle (forgot to add my hazelnut extract) and seen that even early on in the cycle the filter is half-full of water, backed up and waiting to drip through. I just don't buy that all the grounds aren't good and equally soaked and used, and that the water is cold by the time it drips through them all. Maybe in the first few seconds, but after that, no problem.

Drip Brewing
video here.
I would be happy if I had the French press that I want...but I will wait for it...
french presses's seem hard to get in the USA - here in the UK they sell them everywhere ie all the super markets all over!

It's not hard to find a French press for sale here, but not many people use them because their grandmother didn't have one.

Drip Brewing
video here.
french presses's seem hard to get in the USA - here in the UK they sell them everywhere ie all the super markets all over!
They are sold everywhere here.
I am not a fan because the coffee goes cold too quickly. I use the personal size for a one cup if at a coffee house. I am a fan when we camp, they are a great way to get a good cup of coffee. Boiling the kettle on the fire.

Drip Brewing
video here.
No you have the wrong information. They are found everywhere. That is all my husband will use for his coffee.

Drip Brewing
video here.
I am not a fan because the coffee goes cold too quickly. I use the personal size for a one cup if at a coffee house. I am a fan when we camp, they are a great way to get a good cup of coffee. Boiling the kettle on the fire.
Joey Bloggs said:
We have 2 of these Bodum stainless steel thermal French presses for our guests. Since we're in the land of really strong coffee (Pacific Northwest), we serve those guests who want really strong coffee with this FP. Since it's thermal, it keeps the heat and because it's stainless steel, the guests can't break it! They're expensive though. We paid $60 each several years ago. It's an 8 cup model and they do make smaller ones. I really prefer FP over drip.
1303_16_a.jpg

Drip Brewing
video here.
Joey Bloggs said:
We have 2 of these Bodum stainless steel thermal French presses for our guests. Since we're in the land of really strong coffee (Pacific Northwest), we serve those guests who want really strong coffee with this FP. Since it's thermal, it keeps the heat and because it's stainless steel, the guests can't break it! They're expensive though. We paid $60 each several years ago. It's an 8 cup model and they do make smaller ones. I really prefer FP over drip.
1303_16_a.jpg

Breakfast Diva said:
Joey Bloggs said:
1303_16_a.jpg
I remember you posted those before. Esp important if you deliver breakfast to their door. I love those!

Drip Brewing
video here.
Joey Bloggs said:
1303_16_a.jpg

THAT is the one that I want! I don't own one because they're sixty bucks.... haha!

We have a local roaster in our town. I had no idea. they also do private labeling if we would like to sell the coffee to guests. Funny how things work. they are coming out Thursday to talk with us and bring some samples for us to try. They also said, they deliver for free every week.

We have a local roaster in our town. I had no idea. they also do private labeling if we would like to sell the coffee to guests. Funny how things work. they are coming out Thursday to talk with us and bring some samples for us to try. They also said, they deliver for free every week..
See what you find out when you pose a question.

We have a local roaster in our town. I had no idea. they also do private labeling if we would like to sell the coffee to guests. Funny how things work. they are coming out Thursday to talk with us and bring some samples for us to try. They also said, they deliver for free every week..
gillumhouse said:
I love you guys!!!
wink_smile.gif

Drip Brewing
video here.
Joey Bloggs said:
1303_16_a.jpg

They go for $80 these days. http://www.wayfair.com/Bodum-Columbia-8-Cup-Double-Wall-Stainless-Steel-French-Press-Coffeemaker-1308-16-BMO1049.html

YAY!! And you would be supporting another local business if you buy their coffee! :)

Back