Coffee Supply?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We have a local roaster in our town. I had no idea. they also do private labeling if we would like to sell the coffee to guests. Funny how things work. they are coming out Thursday to talk with us and bring some samples for us to try. They also said, they deliver for free every week..
Bob said:
We have a local roaster in our town. I had no idea. they also do private labeling if we would like to sell the coffee to guests. Funny how things work. they are coming out Thursday to talk with us and bring some samples for us to try. They also said, they deliver for free every week.
Good for you!

I have to share this with you, this is a way to make a great cup of coffee!
Drip Brewing
Traditional drip brewing passes water through a bed of grounds. When the water first drips into the bed, it is too hot and bitterness is extracted. As the water filters downward through the bed, it becomes too cool and extraction is weak. The water doesn't contact all of the grounds uniformly. Grounds at the edge of the bed are under-extracted, while grounds at the center are over- extracted and contribute bitterness.
Total immersion of the grounds in the AeroPress completely solves these problems. All of the grounds contact the same water temperature, and the brewing process is short and sweet. The gentle air pressure of the AeroPress also extracts extra flavor from the coffee. Ordinary drip brewers leave a lot of flavor in their soggy grounds.
The drip method cannot make a robust single cup because the small amount of water doesn't heat the bed enough for rich extraction. It is also slow. AeroPress makes one to four servings with a single pressing in less than a minute. The flavor is equally rich for any number of cups.
video here.
I would be happy if I had the French press that I want...but I will wait for it...
french presses's seem hard to get in the USA - here in the UK they sell them everywhere ie all the super markets all over!
french presses's seem hard to get in the USA - here in the UK they sell them everywhere ie all the super markets all over!
They are sold everywhere here.
I am not a fan because the coffee goes cold too quickly. I use the personal size for a one cup if at a coffee house. I am a fan when we camp, they are a great way to get a good cup of coffee. Boiling the kettle on the fire.
Joey Bloggs said:
I am not a fan because the coffee goes cold too quickly. I use the personal size for a one cup if at a coffee house. I am a fan when we camp, they are a great way to get a good cup of coffee. Boiling the kettle on the fire.
We have 2 of these Bodum stainless steel thermal French presses for our guests. Since we're in the land of really strong coffee (Pacific Northwest), we serve those guests who want really strong coffee with this FP. Since it's thermal, it keeps the heat and because it's stainless steel, the guests can't break it! They're expensive though. We paid $60 each several years ago. It's an 8 cup model and they do make smaller ones. I really prefer FP over drip.
1303_16_a.jpg

They go for $80 these days. http://www.wayfair.com/Bodum-Columbia-8-Cup-Double-Wall-Stainless-Steel-French-Press-Coffeemaker-1308-16-BMO1049.html
Just found this French press at Marsh alls for $20! The 4 cup is perfect for me, the price was right, and the stainless steel outer holder does keep the coffee hot (not that it lasts that long). I have been enjoying using it now for several days.
This discussion prompted me to look again when I was out holiday shopping for gifts. Thanks everyone!

Drip Brewing
Traditional drip brewing passes water through a bed of grounds. When the water first drips into the bed, it is too hot and bitterness is extracted. As the water filters downward through the bed, it becomes too cool and extraction is weak. The water doesn't contact all of the grounds uniformly. Grounds at the edge of the bed are under-extracted, while grounds at the center are over- extracted and contribute bitterness.
Total immersion of the grounds in the AeroPress completely solves these problems. All of the grounds contact the same water temperature, and the brewing process is short and sweet. The gentle air pressure of the AeroPress also extracts extra flavor from the coffee. Ordinary drip brewers leave a lot of flavor in their soggy grounds.
The drip method cannot make a robust single cup because the small amount of water doesn't heat the bed enough for rich extraction. It is also slow. AeroPress makes one to four servings with a single pressing in less than a minute. The flavor is equally rich for any number of cups.
video here.
I would be happy if I had the French press that I want...but I will wait for it...
Joey Bloggs said:
We have 2 of these Bodum stainless steel thermal French presses for our guests. Since we're in the land of really strong coffee (Pacific Northwest), we serve those guests who want really strong coffee with this FP. Since it's thermal, it keeps the heat and because it's stainless steel, the guests can't break it! They're expensive though. We paid $60 each several years ago. It's an 8 cup model and they do make smaller ones. I really prefer FP over drip.
1303_16_a.jpg

They go for $80 these days. http://www.wayfair.com/Bodum-Columbia-8-Cup-Double-Wall-Stainless-Steel-French-Press-Coffeemaker-1308-16-BMO1049.html
Just found this French press at Marsh alls for $20! The 4 cup is perfect for me, the price was right, and the stainless steel outer holder does keep the coffee hot (not that it lasts that long). I have been enjoying using it now for several days.
This discussion prompted me to look again when I was out holiday shopping for gifts. Thanks everyone!
Good deal! Happy French pressing!

Drip Brewing
video here.
Joey Bloggs said:
1303_16_a.jpg

Good deal! Happy French pressing!
Here's the funny thing... I only drink decaf coffee now (for health reasons)! But this French press coffee is excellent.
I now own the following: an old percolator, a Melitta drip coffee pot (that I've had for decades), a dual electric drip coffee maker/espresso machine, a second electric drip coffee maker, and a Tassimo coffee maker.
That doesn't include a couple of coffee makers in our second house.
And I've only really been a coffee drinker for the last 15 years or so....

We have a local roaster in our town. I had no idea. they also do private labeling if we would like to sell the coffee to guests. Funny how things work. they are coming out Thursday to talk with us and bring some samples for us to try. They also said, they deliver for free every week..
Bob said:
We have a local roaster in our town. I had no idea. they also do private labeling if we would like to sell the coffee to guests. Funny how things work. they are coming out Thursday to talk with us and bring some samples for us to try. They also said, they deliver for free every week.
Sorry to come in so late... this is absolutely the way to go. My coffee is "locally" roasted (unfortunately, they're about two hours away, but their son goes to college in my town so sometimes I don't have to pay shipping) and they created a label for me with my logo.
I started using them to roast my coffee after they stayed here. They came to the door with one of my old brochures that said, "Home roasted coffee." I was like, "Oh, he left." Now my brochures say, "Freshly roasted coffee." They roast it up when I order it.
I had to name my coffee... tough to do since I don't actually drink coffee. It's a breakfast blend, supposed to have a bit extra caffeine, so I named it Morning Jolt. It's for sale in my dinky gift shop, and although I rarely sell it it's nice to have the option.
=)
Kk.

Hi! I didn't read all the way to the bottom, but we use Eight O'Clock Coffee, whole bean, red bag. We get it at Wal-Mart for about $15. Hy-Vee also carries it for about $5 more. Our Cuisinart coffee makers grind it moments before it is brewed. We get frequent comments on how good it is. Good to know it is widely available.

Hi! I didn't read all the way to the bottom, but we use Eight O'Clock Coffee, whole bean, red bag. We get it at Wal-Mart for about $15. Hy-Vee also carries it for about $5 more. Our Cuisinart coffee makers grind it moments before it is brewed. We get frequent comments on how good it is. Good to know it is widely available..
remnjava said:
Hi! I didn't read all the way to the bottom, but we use Eight O'Clock Coffee, whole bean, red bag. We get it at Wal-Mart for about $15. Hy-Vee also carries it for about $5 more. Our Cuisinart coffee makers grind it moments before it is brewed. We get frequent comments on how good it is. Good to know it is widely available.
Eight O'Clock was the house brand of A & P in my Granny's day. The coffee aisle always smelled so good as people put the beans through the grinder as they purchased it. I used it before I got my roaster.

Bob I guess the real question is how do you make, and serve your coffee?
There are different qualities of beans and roasting that make a good coffee.
My quote is "Just say no to service station coffee!" that is what you find at most hotels. Bitter back of the throat, heartburn in the shoulder, high in acid, low in flavor, poor quality beans. I will add if you sugar it up and cream it to the max, then you really don't care for the flavor of coffee. Like latte's, (cafe latte's) which translate to "milk coffee" in Italian, is hot milk with some coffee thrown in! haha.
Yes, we found when we traveled to Italy and France recently, that the cups of coffee probably don't exceed 4 ounces! A 16 ounce cup of coffee is unheard of! It is somewhat common to mix hot milk with coffee, I believe equal parts.

Back