Coffee taste test (don't shoot me, I'm just the coffee-hating messenger)

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We frsh-grind each morning. This is the coffee list my guests must choose from:
KenyaAA[/td][/tr]ZimbabweAA [/td][/tr]Java Estate Blawan[/td][/tr]Panama Boquette SHB EP[/td][/tr]Papua New Guinea A Kimel Estate[/td][/tr]Organic Fair Trade Shade Grown Peru[/td][/tr]Yemen Sanani[/td][/tr]Tanzania Peaberry Songea[/td][/tr]Rwanda Ingoboka Cooperative[/td][/tr]Costa Rica Tres Rios SHB[/td][/tr]Colombian Supremo[/td][/tr]Coehlo's Gold (India)[/td][/tr]Cerrado Brazil[/td][/tr]Guatemala[/td][/tr]Fair Trade Organic Bolivia[/td][/tr]Sumatra[/td][/tr]Brazil Santos[/td][/tr]DECAFE GUATEMALA KVW[/td][/tr]DECAFE Costa Rica KVWv SHB EP[/td][/tr]DECAFE Ethiopia KVW EP[/td][/tr]DECAFE Certified Organic Mexican MWP[/td][/tr]DECAFE Columbia[/td][/tr][/table]

My husband home roasts our coffee. It's a great hobby for him and then we also sell it by the 1/2 pound in our gift pantry. At $8 1/2 lb it sure helps off set the price of the green beans. Today I sold 2 lbs to our guests.

We frsh-grind each morning. This is the coffee list my guests must choose from:
KenyaAA[/td][/tr]ZimbabweAA [/td][/tr]Java Estate Blawan[/td][/tr]Panama Boquette SHB EP[/td][/tr]Papua New Guinea A Kimel Estate[/td][/tr]Organic Fair Trade Shade Grown Peru[/td][/tr]Yemen Sanani[/td][/tr]Tanzania Peaberry Songea[/td][/tr]Rwanda Ingoboka Cooperative[/td][/tr]Costa Rica Tres Rios SHB[/td][/tr]Colombian Supremo[/td][/tr]Coehlo's Gold (India)[/td][/tr]Cerrado Brazil[/td][/tr]Guatemala[/td][/tr]Fair Trade Organic Bolivia[/td][/tr]Sumatra[/td][/tr]Brazil Santos[/td][/tr]DECAFE GUATEMALA KVW[/td][/tr]DECAFE Costa Rica KVWv SHB EP[/td][/tr]DECAFE Ethiopia KVW EP[/td][/tr]DECAFE Certified Organic Mexican MWP[/td][/tr]DECAFE Columbia[/td][/tr][/table].
That is quite the list!!

We serve 100% Hawaiian coffee, grown 15 minutes from us. Guests love it and we sell a fair amount of it. This helps us reduce the overall cost of using it, since it retails at $25 a pound.

My husband home roasts our coffee. It's a great hobby for him and then we also sell it by the 1/2 pound in our gift pantry. At $8 1/2 lb it sure helps off set the price of the green beans. Today I sold 2 lbs to our guests..
That is why I have such a list. Guest chooses coffee tonight so I can roast it, and then fresh-grind in the morning. I do not have the Kona coffee on the list BECAUSE of the $25 per pound price plus shipping. So far, the reception of the fresh coffee has been very good. If different rooms choose different coffees they get them. I have 4 coffeepots.

We did a lot of taste testing before we opened (some blind some not...the final choices were blind) but we found we liked 8 o'clock best (just like the consumer reports review) and it is a great value (plus we can get it easilly out here in podunk). We are though a bit embarrased when people comment positively on it and want to know what kind it is. I feel like you can almost see the look of disappointment on their face as they were expecting to hear something fancy.
We found one of the big factors was surprisingly the coffee maker. We did some testing there too and could taste a significant difference with this one Cuisinart DCC-1200 12-Cup Coffeemaker
ir
. We did not test it against any professional models. There are times when I wish we went with a complete gravity system like a Bunn Pour-O-Matic
ir
since our makers sit 4 feet from the breakfast table and the bubbling of it is sometimes a distraction.

We did a lot of taste testing before we opened (some blind some not...the final choices were blind) but we found we liked 8 o'clock best (just like the consumer reports review) and it is a great value (plus we can get it easilly out here in podunk). We are though a bit embarrased when people comment positively on it and want to know what kind it is. I feel like you can almost see the look of disappointment on their face as they were expecting to hear something fancy.
We found one of the big factors was surprisingly the coffee maker. We did some testing there too and could taste a significant difference with this one Cuisinart DCC-1200 12-Cup Coffeemaker
ir
. We did not test it against any professional models. There are times when I wish we went with a complete gravity system like a Bunn Pour-O-Matic
ir
since our makers sit 4 feet from the breakfast table and the bubbling of it is sometimes a distraction..
Until I started roasting it, I used Eight O'Clock for two reasons, I could get it at the local grocery and it was relatively inexpensive. (compared to the other coffees now available) but it is now up to $15.99 a bag! And guests would comment on how good it was. Not as much as they do now of course....

ir
ir
since our makers sit 4 feet from the breakfast table and the bubbling of it is sometimes a distraction..
We heard from several innkeepers when we were looking that the only coffee they served was 8 O'clock. Because I don't drink coffee, I don't participate in these taste tests and I can't say one way or the other what's good or not. Hubs loves Tim Horton's coffee now and doesn't care for Dunkin Donuts anymore.
We do have the Bunn coffee maker and it's fast. (Not fast enough sometimes tho, as I have to stop guests from coming into the kitchen and removing the pot while the coffee is still brewing!)

ir
ir
swirt said:
ir
ir
since our makers sit 4 feet from the breakfast table and the bubbling of it is sometimes a distraction.
Just tell em "Gable House (insert your place)B&B Special Blend"
BTW when did you move to West Virginia?
teeth_smile.gif

There are two kinds of beans - [FONT= 'times new roman']While there are several different coffee species, two main species of coffee are cultivated today. Coffea arabica, known as Arabica coffee, accounts for 75-80 percent of the world's production. Coffea canephora, known as Robusta coffee, accounts for about 20 percent and differs from the Arabica coffees in terms of taste. While Robusta coffee beans are more robust than the Arabica plants, but produces an inferior tasting beverage with a higher caffeine content. Both the Robusta and Arabica coffee plant can grow to heights of 10 meters if not pruned, but producing countries will maintain the coffee plant at a height reasonable for easy harvesting.[/FONT]
HOW YOU MAKE IT makes all the difference. Everyone loves percolated coffee! Smoooooooth.

My husband home roasts our coffee. It's a great hobby for him and then we also sell it by the 1/2 pound in our gift pantry. At $8 1/2 lb it sure helps off set the price of the green beans. Today I sold 2 lbs to our guests..
That is why I have such a list. Guest chooses coffee tonight so I can roast it, and then fresh-grind in the morning. I do not have the Kona coffee on the list BECAUSE of the $25 per pound price plus shipping. So far, the reception of the fresh coffee has been very good. If different rooms choose different coffees they get them. I have 4 coffeepots.
Wow, I'm impressed. You have all those varieties on hand? (I'm bowing down to you!) Now that's service!

Like Kathleen, we roast and grind our own. Unlike her, we offer caff and decaf. It's completely dh's domain. I think he has Sumatra and another kind.
I need to get some bags and start selling it, too.
=)
Kk.

When you read carefully, they only tested the Colombian coffee variety of the various brands.
As JBJ said, it's really how it's brewed and we've discussed all that before - drip, percolated, French press, etc.
If you find something that works for the majority of your guests, that's probably the one that you should stick with. :)

Like Kathleen, we roast and grind our own. Unlike her, we offer caff and decaf. It's completely dh's domain. I think he has Sumatra and another kind.
=)
Kk..
KK, look again, there are 4 decaf on the list right now, sometimes 5.

Wow, I'm impressed. You have all those varieties on hand? (I'm bowing down to you!) Now that's service!
Yes, I figure I am not a mansion and not fancy but I can impress with the variety of coffees and teas available. I am having fun with the roasting. I am drinking Rwanda tonight. Roasted some Kenya this evening for tomorrow.
We perk our coffee.

=)
Kk..
gillumhouse said:
No, that's what I mean... you offer that whole big list. We offer 1) Caff, 2) Decaf.
=)
Kk.

Dh wants me to give you the name of the new coffee supplier we found: www.ccmcoffee.com. He's very happy with the price of green beans, and he says the quality is good.
=)
Kk.

Back