Coffee?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hillbilly

Reaction score
Good morning! Just wondering what coffee brands or service you use? I might be looking to switch things up!
Thanks everyone!

I have tried every brand along the way and I just use Folgers and I always get comment how good it is. One person even said her brother is a coffee snob and she was going to tell him it doesn't have to cost a lot to be good. Just what I do. :)

Middle of the road pricing. Not the highest not the lowest. A lot of the coffee flavor depends on your machine and your water so you have to adjust the grind and the roast to suit what you're using to make the coffee.

We serve Community Coffee in the rooms and at the breakfast table and have received rave comments on it.

Dark Sumatra is our bean of choice. Coffeebeandirect.com you can look and compare the scales of each bean or blend, ie acidity, roast, body. and description...
Example: Costa Riccan Tarrazu is a light roast but has a very high acidity (youknow heartburn in your shoulder acidity) Don't assume the darker the roast the higher the acidity, it ain't true.
No matter what anyone says, people will enjoy a cup of coffee since someone else is serving them and the atmosphere outweighs coffee that is just so-so. Sit on my porch with these mockingbirds and sunny skies today and I can serve you generic store brand coffee and it will taste like a million bucks! (That's my theory and I am stickin' to it!)
But I serve what I enjoy. So I don't skimp, coffee is the other half of the B in the other B of B&B. A good brew is a requirement (for our place). And as I say "JUST SAY NO TO SERVICE STATION COFFEE!" that is what many of the hotels serve, blech.
http://www.coffeebeandirect.com

Dark Sumatra is our bean of choice. Coffeebeandirect.com you can look and compare the scales of each bean or blend, ie acidity, roast, body. and description...
Example: Costa Riccan Tarrazu is a light roast but has a very high acidity (youknow heartburn in your shoulder acidity) Don't assume the darker the roast the higher the acidity, it ain't true.
No matter what anyone says, people will enjoy a cup of coffee since someone else is serving them and the atmosphere outweighs coffee that is just so-so. Sit on my porch with these mockingbirds and sunny skies today and I can serve you generic store brand coffee and it will taste like a million bucks! (That's my theory and I am stickin' to it!)
But I serve what I enjoy. So I don't skimp, coffee is the other half of the B in the other B of B&B. A good brew is a requirement (for our place). And as I say "JUST SAY NO TO SERVICE STATION COFFEE!" that is what many of the hotels serve, blech.
http://www.coffeebeandirect.com.
How much do you buy at a time? And how long does it last you? As much as I would love to serve a better coffee I don't know that I can justify it when most people are just fine with Foldgers. At the same time I want to "Wow" people and be more than "just fine". So what is the return on investment? Are people more likely to come back, more likely to give you a good review, etc?

I have a coffee roaster and order gree coffee beans online. I have a large variety of countries and let the guests choose which one they want. Prices of beans varies. I do NOT serve Kona nor Blue Mountain - Kona Blend has shot up to $18 per pound and Blue Mountain was $26 per pound BEFORE coffee prices went up. My coffees are in the $4.50 to $9 per pound range. Even when they have do clue and will not choose one, they like the freshness and the fact they HAD the choice. I roast the coffee when either DH or me would be in the kitchen anyway - I "roasted" my first roaster when a bean got stuck under the auger and the new roaster came with a warning to not use Tanzania Peaberry beans with this roaster. Guess what was in the "roasted roaster"!

How much do you buy at a time? And how long does it last you? As much as I would love to serve a better coffee I don't know that I can justify it when most people are just fine with Foldgers. At the same time I want to "Wow" people and be more than "just fine". So what is the return on investment? Are people more likely to come back, more likely to give you a good review, etc?
Green coffee beans last and I roast enough for 2 pots of coffee at a time. Of course I only have 3 rooms. When I have a full-house of possible coffee hounds, I perk the entire roast in my 24-cup coffee maker.

I have never heard anyone say they came back for the coffee! We go thru about 3 lbs/week in the summer. Reg & decaf, altho the decaf lasts a little longer, maybe 3 weeks.

Middle of the road pricing. Not the highest not the lowest. A lot of the coffee flavor depends on your machine and your water so you have to adjust the grind and the roast to suit what you're using to make the coffee..
We use Cock ful O Nuts, French Roast, with a dash of cinnamon added to the grinds at brewing, bottled water and a Bruan coffee maker. We do not skimp on the amount of coffee, always adding and extra "one for the pot", since most folks like a full bodied taste. Nothing worse than coffee that tasts like colored water!
As soon as the coffee is brewed we transfer it to a heated, insulted carafe to keep it hot. Most guests comment on the great coffee without ever realizing that the dash of cinnamon was added.

Are people more likely to come back, more likely to give you a good review, etc?
Not really, but IF they mention the coffee, it does add to the likelihood of someone else choosing us.

Middle of the road pricing. Not the highest not the lowest. A lot of the coffee flavor depends on your machine and your water so you have to adjust the grind and the roast to suit what you're using to make the coffee..
We use Cock ful O Nuts, French Roast, with a dash of cinnamon added to the grinds at brewing, bottled water and a Bruan coffee maker. We do not skimp on the amount of coffee, always adding and extra "one for the pot", since most folks like a full bodied taste. Nothing worse than coffee that tasts like colored water!
As soon as the coffee is brewed we transfer it to a heated, insulted carafe to keep it hot. Most guests comment on the great coffee without ever realizing that the dash of cinnamon was added.
Silverspoon said:
We use Cock ful O Nuts, French Roast,
That's on of the better malapropisms we've had in awhile...

Silverspoon said:
Madeleine said:
Silverspoon said:
cry_smile.gif

Silverspoon said:
I figured that would wake some of you up!
tounge_smile.gif

DH roasts our coffee. It's a big deal around here. Some people have told us they booked because of the coffee, and a lot of people when they check in say they ready about our coffee and are really looking forward to having it. We offer both drip and French press. Our French presses are stainless steel thermo pots and I offer it to those who I get the impression they like really strong coffee.
We also sell DHs coffee in our gift area.

We use an excellent local roaster who is a big supporter of local arts. We then grind the beans before brewing.

Miss O'Hara said:
It depends on how many guests we have over a given period. Since we only have two rooms, a 32 oz. bag last us a long time. We usually order our little 4-cup mini-pods every three to four months. Since this stuff does have a short shelf life, we limit our stock to what is required and don't try to have a lot in reserve. We can always make a midnight run to Walmart if we have to.
I know that this is probably a regional bias, but our guests really do like the Community Coffee Breakfast Blend (formerly called "between roast") It's a very robust coffee that full flavored without being bitter. Most importantly, it's affordable. We buy ours directly from the company online most of the time, usually with free shipping.

DH roasts our coffee. It's a big deal around here. Some people have told us they booked because of the coffee, and a lot of people when they check in say they ready about our coffee and are really looking forward to having it. We offer both drip and French press. Our French presses are stainless steel thermo pots and I offer it to those who I get the impression they like really strong coffee.
We also sell DHs coffee in our gift area..
Thanks for all your help everyone! How did you get started with roasting your own? How do I get started? That sounds kinda fun.

We also sell DHs coffee in our gift area..
Thanks for all your help everyone! How did you get started with roasting your own? How do I get started? That sounds kinda fun.
It was something DH found interesting. Check out sweetmaria.com They have a lot of information about roasting. We started with a small roaster and now we have a large one with a fancy burr grinder. DH buys his green beans in big 60 lb burlap sacks from a supplier on ebay. We don't offer all different kinds here like Kathleen does because it would take way too much time for the quantities we need. He typically stays with the South American kinds (Bolivian, Guatamalan, etc.).

Back