Colbert Report Ai rBB

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I watched it last night. Didn't realize the "air" referred to an air mattress, but it makes sense. I thought it referred to the online nature of the company. Otherwise, I hated to see them get the free publicity. It looks like the younger generation sees them as a hero, hooking them up with somebody's couch at a bargain rate.
What they didn't address is the breakfast side of the deal. Pop tarts? Honey Buns? I'd rather drive to McDonald's!

I like the you can read the reviews... gee, someone needs to be first... so that person is taking the risk of being killed or skinned?

He neatly side-stepped the uncollected taxes, insurance, inspections, licensing, etc

The way the CEO spoke it was if they had invented the guest house concept.
Also not addressed:
  • stays of 30 or more days who then fall under the renter laws
  • reason for renting - throwing a party - drunken party or one with 'ladies of the evening'
  • damaging the residence
  • the Legal aspect as far as licensing
  • the legal aspect as far as injury

Lest we forget, the Colbert Report is on Comedy Central and is not a news show; Stephen Colbert is playing a character and is not actually the persona you see on the show. His show is heavily satirical in nature and I don't think you can really expect heavy-hitting news journalism here. I feel certain that Innkeep posted this for fun (yay Innkeep!).
tounge_smile.gif

For a more journalistic approach, you might check this out: Yahoo Interview with Brian Chesky

Lest we forget, the Colbert Report is on Comedy Central and is not a news show; Stephen Colbert is playing a character and is not actually the persona you see on the show. His show is heavily satirical in nature and I don't think you can really expect heavy-hitting news journalism here. I feel certain that Innkeep posted this for fun (yay Innkeep!).
tounge_smile.gif

For a more journalistic approach, you might check this out: Yahoo Interview with Brian Chesky.
I agree, Jeanne. I watch Colbert all the time and "he" really likes to put most guests on the spot. Went to talk/book signing here for Jonathan Haidt and was chatting with him about how I'd wanted to buy his book since he appeared on Colbert. I asked him how he thought he fared on the show and his remark was that he was just glad that he survived as it's usually not scripted and the guest really doesn't know where SC will go. Haha!
Having said all that...it was interesting to me that SC only mentioned hotels as the competitors for that service in the interview...

tounge_smile.gif

For a more journalistic approach, you might check this out: Yahoo Interview with Brian Chesky.
I agree, Jeanne. I watch Colbert all the time and "he" really likes to put most guests on the spot. Went to talk/book signing here for Jonathan Haidt and was chatting with him about how I'd wanted to buy his book since he appeared on Colbert. I asked him how he thought he fared on the show and his remark was that he was just glad that he survived as it's usually not scripted and the guest really doesn't know where SC will go. Haha!
Having said all that...it was interesting to me that SC only mentioned hotels as the competitors for that service in the interview...
Samster said:
...it's usually not scripted and the guest really doesn't know where SC will go. Haha!
Yes I've seen a few guests give a "deer caught in the headlights" look when Colbert starts messing with them, but most handle themselves well.
I've heard Colbert say in an interview that before each show he tells the night's guest that the character he (Colbert) plays is an idiot and not to take any of it personally. Easy for HIM to say!

I think AirBNB has a good reason to exist, even if at times the prices can be a bit above the hotel average.
I used AirBNB just once, when I had to stay with my wife in Vienna for about a week, so we were worried about finding a good parking spot near the building. The host was cool enough to drive with me to a huge paid parking lot, show me how the system works, leave my car and drive me back to the apartment.
The apartment itself was worse than described, but sometimes this one-on-one connection really helps, and you can get more assistance than from someone who is chained to his/her property.

I think AirBNB has a good reason to exist, even if at times the prices can be a bit above the hotel average.
I used AirBNB just once, when I had to stay with my wife in Vienna for about a week, so we were worried about finding a good parking spot near the building. The host was cool enough to drive with me to a huge paid parking lot, show me how the system works, leave my car and drive me back to the apartment.
The apartment itself was worse than described, but sometimes this one-on-one connection really helps, and you can get more assistance than from someone who is chained to his/her property..
dumitru said:
The host was cool enough to drive with me to a huge paid parking lot, show me how the system works, leave my car and drive me back to the apartment....sometimes this one-on-one connection really helps, and you can get more assistance than from someone who is chained to his/her property.
It's true that a typical Air situation, where the host has just one guest, is very different from what you'd find at any inn with multiple rooms rented at once. The Air host has lots more time to make the guest's visit special, if they want to. I'll bet many would never take the time, or make the time, to drive a guest to a parking lot.

The apartment itself was worse than described, but sometimes this one-on-one connection really helps, and you can get more assistance than from someone who is chained to his/her property..
dumitru said:
The host was cool enough to drive with me to a huge paid parking lot, show me how the system works, leave my car and drive me back to the apartment....sometimes this one-on-one connection really helps, and you can get more assistance than from someone who is chained to his/her property.
It's true that a typical Air situation, where the host has just one guest, is very different from what you'd find at any inn with multiple rooms rented at once. The Air host has lots more time to make the guest's visit special, if they want to. I'll bet many would never take the time, or make the time, to drive a guest to a parking lot.
its why I bought a property with a parking lot

dumitru said:
Joey Camb said:
We are often asked if we offer free parking. I guess it's a city thing, because it never ocurred to me that free parking was an amenity.

dumitru said:
The apartment itself was worse than described, but sometimes this one-on-one connection really helps, and you can get more assistance than from someone who is chained to his/her property.
That's nice, but here in the USA and I know in England, should the host be driving a guest and have an accident, they will not be covered EVEN IF THEY DON'T CHARGE FOR THE RIDE. This is because the guest is paying to stay at the property. I don't know about the continent.

dumitru said:
Joey Camb said:
We are often asked if we offer free parking. I guess it's a city thing, because it never ocurred to me that free parking was an amenity.
It absolutely is.
And in this city, if you offer it, it's pretty much an indication that you are out in the burbs!

dumitru said:
That's nice, but here in the USA and I know in England, should the host be driving a guest and have an accident, they will not be covered EVEN IF THEY DON'T CHARGE FOR THE RIDE. This is because the guest is paying to stay at the property. I don't know about the continent.
in the UK I would be required to have special insurance to cover me should I want to give guests a lift would cost a fortune.

dumitru said:
egoodell said:
dumitru said:
I come from a country where we don't expect to sue people for everything that might happen in our lives. So that simple lift was very much welcome, and when I get into someone else's car, I'm pretty much familiar with the risks involved with that.

dumitru said:
egoodell said:
dumitru said:
I come from a country where we don't expect to sue people for everything that might happen in our lives. So that simple lift was very much welcome, and when I get into someone else's car, I'm pretty much familiar with the risks involved with that.
dumitru said:
egoodell said:
dumitru said:
We give people rides. We pick them up at the train station. We loan them bicycles. We let them walk up and down stairs and we have a pond. Liability is all around, but so are real, normal, responsible people. I can't let my life be ruined by a few crazies who see dollar signs when THEY have an accident.

dumitru said:
egoodell said:
dumitru said:
dumitru said:
egoodell said:
dumitru said:
We give people rides. We pick them up at the train station. We loan them bicycles. We let them walk up and down stairs and we have a pond. Liability is all around, but so are real, normal, responsible people. I can't let my life be ruined by a few crazies who see dollar signs when THEY have an accident.
Really, you actually got insurance coverage with loaner bikes? As much as we might like to loan out our kayaks or bikes, we have found that there are enough rental places around who can assume the liability that guests don't blink about not having them available on site.
We have given rides in emergency situations, but would not do it as a matter of course.

dumitru said:
egoodell said:
dumitru said:
dumitru said:
egoodell said:
dumitru said:
Really, you actually got insurance coverage with loaner bikes? As much as we might like to loan out our kayaks or bikes, we have found that there are enough rental places around who can assume the liability that guests don't blink about not having them available on site.
We have given rides in emergency situations, but would not do it as a matter of course.
Silverspoon said:
We don't advertise or offer rides from the train, but it's a bit over a mile away and we are nice, so if it fits the schedule, we will pick them up there.
We also don't offer bikes, but have loaned a couple times when asked.
DH loaned out the kayaks once. I disagreed with him on that, but he trusted the guys.

dumitru said:
egoodell said:
dumitru said:
dumitru said:
egoodell said:
dumitru said:
Silverspoon said:
I've seen the ride info on several local websites. Then we get calls asking us to do the same. No can do. Neither of us have a chauffeur's license. And we don't have the insurance to cover an accident.
We pay the taxi guy to do the driving.

Back