Cold enough for ya?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sounds crazy, but I kinda envy you guys with the cold & snow! I know it's "cold" here right now, (I had to pull my sleeves down when I went out to get the mail this afternoon
teeth_smile.gif
). I know I wouldn't want the cold and snow for as long as you guys get it, but it would be nice for a month or so.
For someone like me who always has cold feet, is wool socks the way to go when I'm hanging out at home with no shoes on? I've never had a pair..
GeorgiaGirl said:
Sounds crazy, but I kinda envy you guys with the cold & snow! I know it's "cold" here right now, (I had to pull my sleeves down when I went out to get the mail this afternoon
teeth_smile.gif
). I know I wouldn't want the cold and snow for as long as you guys get it, but it would be nice for a month or so.
For someone like me who always has cold feet, is wool socks the way to go when I'm hanging out at home with no shoes on? I've never had a pair.
Ha ha! When I went out to get the mail this afternoon, I donned toque, neck warmer, gloves, insulated boots and down-filled parka! This is abnormally cold for our location, but I still love winter. I would miss it if I didn't live here. There's also a HUGE difference between winter in the country and winter in the city. Really, they shouldn't even qualify as the same season.
When I lived in the city, winters were milder but they were more miserable because of the salt and slush and drabness. Plus the fact that most people in the city don't really dress for the weather, they dress for the office. Here, being warm and dry is more fashionable than slipping and shivering in the stylish high-heeled, un-lined "winter" boots that city women wear from the subway to the office.
Where I am, out in the country, winter is fresh clean snow that sparkles like diamond dust, stunningly blue skies and rich green conifers. We like to complain about our winters, especially when they show us their nasty side, but we most love to bundle up, head outside, and play them.
As for socks: wool is definitely your best bet. Cotton and most synthetic socks will hold moisture when your feet perspire (even a little) and make them feel clammy.
I have a 'dressy' event to go to tonight. I'm debating...but I think the Ugh boots are going to win. Partly because we had a slight rainfall 2 days ago and everything around here is a sheet of glass and partly because I'd rather be warm than 'red carpet'.

teeth_smile.gif
For someone like me who always has cold feet, is wool socks the way to go when I'm hanging out at home with no shoes on? I've never had a pair..
GeorgiaGirl said:
teeth_smile.gif
For someone like me who always has cold feet, is wool socks the way to go when I'm hanging out at home with no shoes on? I've never had a pair.
Ha ha! When I went out to get the mail this afternoon, I donned toque, neck warmer, gloves, insulated boots and down-filled parka! This is abnormally cold for our location, but I still love winter. I would miss it if I didn't live here. There's also a HUGE difference between winter in the country and winter in the city. Really, they shouldn't even qualify as the same season.
When I lived in the city, winters were milder but they were more miserable because of the salt and slush and drabness. Plus the fact that most people in the city don't really dress for the weather, they dress for the office. Here, being warm and dry is more fashionable than slipping and shivering in the stylish high-heeled, un-lined "winter" boots that city women wear from the subway to the office.
Where I am, out in the country, winter is fresh clean snow that sparkles like diamond dust, stunningly blue skies and rich green conifers. We like to complain about our winters, especially when they show us their nasty side, but we most love to bundle up, head outside, and play them.
As for socks: wool is definitely your best bet. Cotton and most synthetic socks will hold moisture when your feet perspire (even a little) and make them feel clammy.
I have a 'dressy' event to go to tonight. I'm debating...but I think the Ugh boots are going to win. Partly because we had a slight rainfall 2 days ago and everything around here is a sheet of glass and partly because I'd rather be warm than 'red carpet'.
Bree said:
Around here, we would carry the impractical, pretty shoes with us and put them on once we get inside. This of course only works if there's a boot rack or somewhere to stash your Ugh boots at the venue. Underneath your seat or table will work if no other spot is provided.

teeth_smile.gif
GeorgiaGirl said:
teeth_smile.gif
Bree said:
Around here, we would carry the impractical, pretty shoes with us and put them on once we get inside. This of course only works if there's a boot rack or somewhere to stash your Ugh boots at the venue. Underneath your seat or table will work if no other spot is provided.
happyjacks said:
Bree said:
Yeah, but that also implies I want to wear stockings...which I don't. So, Ughs and socks it is. I love living in a 'backwoods' state!

teeth_smile.gif
GeorgiaGirl said:
teeth_smile.gif
Bree said:
happyjacks said:
Bree said:
Yeah, but that also implies I want to wear stockings...which I don't. So, Ughs and socks it is. I love living in a 'backwoods' state!
I thought dressy in Maine was the mohair scarf, hat, and mitten set instead of the wool set.

teeth_smile.gif
GeorgiaGirl said:
teeth_smile.gif
Bree said:
happyjacks said:
Bree said:
I thought dressy in Maine was the mohair scarf, hat, and mitten set instead of the wool set.
gillumhouse said:
Alpaca. We're doing alpaca now...unfortunately, I'm allergic...

teeth_smile.gif
GeorgiaGirl said:
teeth_smile.gif
Bree said:
happyjacks said:
Bree said:
gillumhouse said:
Alpaca. We're doing alpaca now...unfortunately, I'm allergic...
During the Live Drive-thru Nativity 2006 I discovered I am allergic to camel. After an hour of upclose & personal with Punjab, my eues were itching and threatening to close. He went away and I go better - fast. (I was the only one not afraid to hold his rope in the 3 Kings scene)

teeth_smile.gif
GeorgiaGirl said:
teeth_smile.gif
happyjacks said:
Good copy for your website, makes me want to come up and see ya'll and the snow - well, almost.
(I am cold when we get in the 30's and it is predicted to be in the high teens here tomorrow night. I am cold just thinking about it.)

Cold enough? Yeah...I might even have to turn on the heat by Saturday night, God forbid! I have two pair of long pants and a couple pairs of socks somewhere...I gotta go find those! It's going down into the 40s by the weekend at night.
Yeah, yeah, I know...no sympathy from anyone. LOL Hey, I used to live up north and I got three words to say about that, "I love Miami!" :D

-9, going down to -12. High tomorrow of 2. It was never like this in Maryland! I like it fine... better than 34 and slush.
Like Happyjacks... we are loving our fluffy sparkly snow... and shoveling lots of it since we have a house full of guests this week. (Then nothing for weeks...)
=)
Kk.

-9, going down to -12. High tomorrow of 2. It was never like this in Maryland! I like it fine... better than 34 and slush.
Like Happyjacks... we are loving our fluffy sparkly snow... and shoveling lots of it since we have a house full of guests this week. (Then nothing for weeks...)
=)
Kk..
Sorry but it is almost as bad in MD today:-( We are at 6 right now in VA.

-10 here today. This is the coldest it has gotten here since we've lived here. How cold was it? The water line to coffee machine at Starbucks was frozen. No joke. Poor hubs HAD to get a latte.

Now I know that 20 does not sound very cold you most of you but it was very cold here in the deep south this morning. Well these folks staying with us say they are from southern AL, well they must be transplants from somewhere or just love to smoke. They have been sitting out on the balcony since just after sunrise, smoking & drinking coffee. Burrrr.

Now I know that 20 does not sound very cold you most of you but it was very cold here in the deep south this morning. Well these folks staying with us say they are from southern AL, well they must be transplants from somewhere or just love to smoke. They have been sitting out on the balcony since just after sunrise, smoking & drinking coffee. Burrrr..
Our first winter here we had a guest from TN who smoked. She froze her butt off everyday. Then locked herself out of the house. And fell in a snowbank while smoking. I asked her if she'd had enough of smoking? Next time we saw her, she'd quit!

It was -17 on our thermometer this morning.
My poor animals really had a hard time keeping warm last night. Our horse's muzzle was all frozen from the warm air coming out of her nostrils. The chickens had to balance on one foot at a time to keep from freezing their feet. They tuck the other one up under the feathers to keep it warm and then alternate.
It sure is pretty to look at, though.

Wow! Here at the foot of Pikes Peak it was 34 when I walked the dogs this morning and it might hit 60 today. Everybody be careful in that down stream freezer!

It was at least -4 last night. We are having a heat wave right now - the City's web site says it is +5. Supposed to be worse tonight and be warmer tomorrow. I hope it is warmer Saturday night - Chapel at midnight and I would probably walk rather than try to start the car for a 5 block journey.

Now I know that 20 does not sound very cold you most of you but it was very cold here in the deep south this morning. Well these folks staying with us say they are from southern AL, well they must be transplants from somewhere or just love to smoke. They have been sitting out on the balcony since just after sunrise, smoking & drinking coffee. Burrrr..
Somehow it does feel colder, doesn't it? It didn't get out of the 30s today but we had brilliant sunshine. My downstairs heater pack has run almost constantly for over 24 hours. Anything below 40 seems to feel cold here! :)

Confession - I turned on the heat last night! I came down with a nasty cold Friday, and I just wanted some warm air to breathe at night. Turning on the heat is just one of those things I nearly refuse to do; afterall, Miami should never need heat - that's one reason why I live here! I do not like COLD!!!!!! I am becoming my mother....LOL

It's still cold here - 21 degrees at 11 am. DH is a nut, but wants to go to inauguration - we'll see how long he can stand being out there in the elements!

It's still cold here - 21 degrees at 11 am. DH is a nut, but wants to go to inauguration - we'll see how long he can stand being out there in the elements!.
OMG!! I wouldn't be caught dead anywhere near there. It is going to be a total nightmare. People will be crammed in shoulder to shoulder..hey that's a good thing I guess if you want to stay warm. Though it is supposed to be 32 by Tuesday and just partly cloudy so it will be better than today.
I have a friend who "plays" Martha Washington. She is going to be front and center right in the Capitol greeting folks for the the weekend through inauguration.I am just positive she will meet the new Prez and First lady! I will enjoy it all from the comfort of our family room.;-)

Back