Cold enough for ya?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

happyjacks

Reaction score
We are in the middle of a big chill. I've never experienced it this cold before, even the dog won't go outside.
The thermometer outside the dining room window read -37C (about -35F) when we woke up this morning.
whatchutalkingabout_smile.gif

Here in North Georgia the temp is 29 but feels like 18. Where are you located Happyjacks, Minnesota???

My computer is telling me it is -6 F outside right now, and it is suppose to get colder.

We used to have temps like that in VT. I would call in vacation until it got up to around -10F because I was afraid of what would happen to me if the car broke down. Ar -20F the car would make a horrible nosie when I got it up to around 35 MPH. Finally heard the same problem on Car Talk one day and was yelling at the radio as I was driving along and they were asking the car's owner if she had a roof rack or this or that. I was yelling, 'Don't let them tell you it's the roof rack, I don't have one, keep them on the phone until they come up with a real answer!' (The other car was in AK.)
Finally got the answer...speedometer cable was vibrating because of the cold. They fixed her car, fixed mine, too!
You should try going out and getting into your car. There's absolutely no give to the seats in this temp, it's like sitting on concrete. And your coat (if it's not wool) will make crinkly noises like it's going to crack. Our dog also would not go out for any length of time.
I remember the furnace would only turn off for about 15 minutes at a time when it was that cold. The house would creak. We ran 2 woodstoves AND the furnace. Fuel oil delivery was every 10 days. Holy cow, I am so glad I don't own a house like that anymore.
It was 8F here this morning, 58 in the house. Beautiful blue skies, tho. I looked at the temp where I used to live...glad I'm here. It runs anywhere from 10 -30 degrees warmer here in the winter.

Here in North Georgia the temp is 29 but feels like 18. Where are you located Happyjacks, Minnesota???.
I'm in Ontario. Parts of Minnesota are at more northerly latitudes, so they probably have it worse than me.
I just checked and it's warmed up to -28C. The dog finally agreed to go outside and take care of business. But it's still a good 20 degrees or more below seasonal temps.

my sister lives up in fort fairfield, maine. i don't think they have 'summer' there ... ever. last night it was -40 'or so' she said. this year may be a new record. she is used to bitter bitter cold. they plug in some gizmos to keep their batteries alive during the nite. you cannot be outside with exposed skin because of frostbite. i could not live up there.
it was in the 30's last nite at my friend's in florida and he is sooooo freezing. people around there are not used to temps like that for very long.

I will never complain about the cold (here in the south) again...well I lie, but I do feel for you. Keep warm if that is possible...

It was -19 on my thermometer when DW got up and went to the 24/7 gym for a workout at 7 a.m. Zero when I ventured out at 11 a.m. We're in northern Indiana.
Our overnight guest checked out early and I turned the heat down a bit in the house, but not so low that pipes would be affected (we have a full basement). Next guest arrives on Monday, and then the thermostat goes back up ...
brrrrrrrr....

It was -19 on my thermometer when DW got up and went to the 24/7 gym for a workout at 7 a.m. Zero when I ventured out at 11 a.m. We're in northern Indiana.
Our overnight guest checked out early and I turned the heat down a bit in the house, but not so low that pipes would be affected (we have a full basement). Next guest arrives on Monday, and then the thermostat goes back up ...
brrrrrrrr.....
How far North are you in Indiana? I'm from Niles, Mi, just across the border from Notre Dame. In fact my Mother In Law is visiting from Niles right now.

brrrrrrrr.....
Redbirds said:
brrrrrrrr....
Even though electric baseboard is an expensive way to heat a house, I am glad they let us heat (or not heat) individual rooms. We keep the heat on in all bathrooms all winter to keep pipes from freezing, but we turn the heat off or way way down in the guest bedrooms and common areas when not in use.
We have a woodstove in our living room as the primary heat source for our part of the house. Hubby uses a space heater in his office but other than that we don't supplement with electric heat in our space. Right now it is 10C in my kitchen. Some mornings I come downstairs and can see my breath!

brrrrrrrr.....
Redbirds said:
brrrrrrrr....
Even though electric baseboard is an expensive way to heat a house, I am glad they let us heat (or not heat) individual rooms. We keep the heat on in all bathrooms all winter to keep pipes from freezing, but we turn the heat off or way way down in the guest bedrooms and common areas when not in use.
We have a woodstove in our living room as the primary heat source for our part of the house. Hubby uses a space heater in his office but other than that we don't supplement with electric heat in our space. Right now it is 10C in my kitchen. Some mornings I come downstairs and can see my breath!
happyjacks said:
Right now it is 10C in my kitchen. Some mornings I come downstairs and can see my breath!
Oh my goodness, I don't know how you can do it!!!!!!!!!!!!
confused_smile.gif
I would be absolutely frozen!

Aren't you happy we are having Global Warming? We are supposed to go down to 1 tonight which means we stay up all night running our little gas heaters in our bathroom and in the kitchen and open the thingy in the kitchen ceiling so warm (er) air can get to the water lines there, and still pray the water lines will not freeze because they are under the kitchen with no heat tape (not available in the 1950s I guess) and I cannot get to it because I am over 2 years old and not anorexic.

brrrrrrrr.....
How far North are you in Indiana? I'm from Niles, Mi, just across the border from Notre Dame. In fact my Mother In Law is visiting from Niles right now.
Talk about small world! I had a wonderful neighbor for a while in Illinois from Niles - Beverly Carlisle. They moved back to Niles and then to Conyers, Ga where she died a few years later.
When we loaded our furniture in Illinois it was -4 and 2 days later when we unloaded here in WV it was in the 40s. We spent our first winter here running around in light jackets because it was so warm. We now huddle in winter coats like everyone else. That is what happens when you acclimatize.

brrrrrrrr.....
Talk about small world! I had a wonderful neighbor for a while in Illinois from Niles - Beverly Carlisle. They moved back to Niles and then to Conyers, Ga where she died a few years later.
When we loaded our furniture in Illinois it was -4 and 2 days later when we unloaded here in WV it was in the 40s. We spent our first winter here running around in light jackets because it was so warm. We now huddle in winter coats like everyone else. That is what happens when you acclimatize.
gillumhouse said:
Want to hear another funny thing? We used to live in Conyers Ga too!
teeth_smile.gif
We were there from about 1996 - 1999.

brrrrrrrr.....
Redbirds said:
brrrrrrrr....
The house in VT had a '2 pair of wool socks' kitchen! It faced west, into the wind. The dishwasher froze up fairly regularly. It got so bad once, the heat pipes froze. (Outside wall, hubs moved the pipes about 2" and we didn't have that problem again.
I made the mistake last week of backing my car in so it faced into the wind. With the wind blowing all night, it had a tough time turning over the next day.

Sounds crazy, but I kinda envy you guys with the cold & snow! I know it's "cold" here right now, (I had to pull my sleeves down when I went out to get the mail this afternoon
teeth_smile.gif
). I know I wouldn't want the cold and snow for as long as you guys get it, but it would be nice for a month or so.
For someone like me who always has cold feet, is wool socks the way to go when I'm hanging out at home with no shoes on? I've never had a pair.

Sounds crazy, but I kinda envy you guys with the cold & snow! I know it's "cold" here right now, (I had to pull my sleeves down when I went out to get the mail this afternoon
teeth_smile.gif
). I know I wouldn't want the cold and snow for as long as you guys get it, but it would be nice for a month or so.
For someone like me who always has cold feet, is wool socks the way to go when I'm hanging out at home with no shoes on? I've never had a pair..
GeorgiaGirl said:
teeth_smile.gif
For someone like me who always has cold feet, is wool socks the way to go when I'm hanging out at home with no shoes on? I've never had a pair.
Ha ha! When I went out to get the mail this afternoon, I donned toque, neck warmer, gloves, insulated boots and down-filled parka! This is abnormally cold for our location, but I still love winter. I would miss it if I didn't live here. There's also a HUGE difference between winter in the country and winter in the city. Really, they shouldn't even qualify as the same season.
When I lived in the city, winters were milder but they were more miserable because of the salt and slush and drabness. Plus the fact that most people in the city don't really dress for the weather, they dress for the office. Here, being warm and dry is more fashionable than slipping and shivering in the stylish high-heeled, un-lined "winter" boots that city women wear from the subway to the office.
Where I am, out in the country, winter is fresh clean snow that sparkles like diamond dust, stunningly blue skies and rich green conifers. We like to complain about our winters, especially when they show us their nasty side, but we most love to bundle up, head outside, and play them.
As for socks: wool is definitely your best bet. Cotton and most synthetic socks will hold moisture when your feet perspire (even a little) and make them feel clammy.

Back