Comforts of home

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 26

Reaction score
re bree -- about expecting the comforts of home at a b&b
it is interesting you mention that, because on my website i DO say we have amenities that help you feel at home.
and it's one of the reasons i started seeking out b&b's to stay in about 15 years ago.
i put out a basic snack for all ... either sweet (cookies or brownies) or cheese, crackers and grapes.
i don't have EVERYTHING ... but do have the guest micro, three guest fridges (one on each floor), of course the tea and coffee setup with all the fixins, spare toothbrushes, razors, etc. not in the rooms but in a basket on each floor for if they need something basic. most important, i can't afford to have a supply for guests to load up on because some (unfortunately) will take all you have, including the box of tissues. but i do tell them to ASK if they need something ... i try to be approachable and helpful. i notice it was like this at the last hotel i stayed at ... reading the book in the room ... if you needed something, they would bring it to you but it was not already there.

I agree that some of the "comforts" that you find at B&Bs/inns vs hotels are why we started staying at them about 20 years ago!
I have a sweet treat in the rooms every afternoon. Sometimes I'll put it out in the dining room with sodas, ice tea or lemonade & a bucket of ice if the group of guests seem to be the kind that will hang out in the common areas or porches. If people are around here at the cocktail hour, we have some savory snacks. I play that by ear, as a lot of times people are out & about so it would totally go to waste.
24 hour coffee/tea service in the main house & a guest service area with a fridge with bottled water & cokes. Cottage rooms have their own coffee service & stocked fridges. Guest bathrooms have the usual guest soaps, shampoo, lotion, etc. & then a container with mouthwash, toothpaste, floss, cotton swabs, cotton eye make up pads, disposable razor, and emory board. There are sanitary items in a container on the top of the toilet tank. Also, sewing kit, shoe shine cloth, lint roller, and small first aid kit are in the rooms. Hair dryers & makeup mirrors. I think that I have a deck of cards in all the rooms and there's some kind of puzzle game in most rooms. Current magazines are in the rooms. Turn down chocolates. There's a basket in a central location with other travel size doo dads that people might have forgotten with these liquid restrictions with flying - hair spray, hair gel, shaving cream, etc. - and some other things that I pick up. There was only one person that cleaned that out! I always have fresh flowers in the rooms, too. Soon, we'll be getting our logo robes. YAY!!!
Our rates start at $155 and go to $205 for our double room suites, so I think that people expect these kind of things. I always tell them if there's something that they need to just ask me - I also have a stash of brushes, combs, a curling iron and some other stuff that they might need that is not out. I'm really hoping that the personal attention & attention to detail will be what sets us apart from the other B&Bs here :)

I agree that some of the "comforts" that you find at B&Bs/inns vs hotels are why we started staying at them about 20 years ago!
I have a sweet treat in the rooms every afternoon. Sometimes I'll put it out in the dining room with sodas, ice tea or lemonade & a bucket of ice if the group of guests seem to be the kind that will hang out in the common areas or porches. If people are around here at the cocktail hour, we have some savory snacks. I play that by ear, as a lot of times people are out & about so it would totally go to waste.
24 hour coffee/tea service in the main house & a guest service area with a fridge with bottled water & cokes. Cottage rooms have their own coffee service & stocked fridges. Guest bathrooms have the usual guest soaps, shampoo, lotion, etc. & then a container with mouthwash, toothpaste, floss, cotton swabs, cotton eye make up pads, disposable razor, and emory board. There are sanitary items in a container on the top of the toilet tank. Also, sewing kit, shoe shine cloth, lint roller, and small first aid kit are in the rooms. Hair dryers & makeup mirrors. I think that I have a deck of cards in all the rooms and there's some kind of puzzle game in most rooms. Current magazines are in the rooms. Turn down chocolates. There's a basket in a central location with other travel size doo dads that people might have forgotten with these liquid restrictions with flying - hair spray, hair gel, shaving cream, etc. - and some other things that I pick up. There was only one person that cleaned that out! I always have fresh flowers in the rooms, too. Soon, we'll be getting our logo robes. YAY!!!
Our rates start at $155 and go to $205 for our double room suites, so I think that people expect these kind of things. I always tell them if there's something that they need to just ask me - I also have a stash of brushes, combs, a curling iron and some other stuff that they might need that is not out. I'm really hoping that the personal attention & attention to detail will be what sets us apart from the other B&Bs here :).
YOU have the BEST guest amenities ever. You really have everything a person could possibly want/need!

Our rates start at $155 and go to $205 for our double room suites, so I think that people expect these kind of things. I always tell them if there's something that they need to just ask me - I also have a stash of brushes, combs, a curling iron and some other stuff that they might need that is not out. I'm really hoping that the personal attention & attention to detail will be what sets us apart from the other B&Bs here :).
our highest rate is $155 ... i have paid as much as $325 to stay in a place that was booked solid. but that was a romantic getaway
wink_smile.gif

YOU have the BEST guest amenities ever. You really have everything a person could possibly want/need!
Aw shucks, ma'am...we do our best here
embaressed_smile.gif
Thanks!
teeth_smile.gif

I just can't wait to get those robes!!!

our highest rate is $155 ... i have paid as much as $325 to stay in a place that was booked solid. but that was a romantic getaway
wink_smile.gif

I also always have some kind of discount
regular_smile.gif
Right now, there's a $10 off Internet discount and then a Summer Special for a 2 day stay. Not that it's bringing in the guests...it's dead here at all the B&Bs
cry_smile.gif

wink_smile.gif

regular_smile.gif
Right now, there's a $10 off Internet discount and then a Summer Special for a 2 day stay. Not that it's bringing in the guests...it's dead here at all the B&Bs
cry_smile.gif

Samster said:
regular_smile.gif
cry_smile.gif
We'll remember that over this winter when you have guests and we are all eating mac n cheese. Oh and spending $1500 to go to an innkeeping conference...NOT!

wink_smile.gif

regular_smile.gif
cry_smile.gif

Samster said:
regular_smile.gif
cry_smile.gif
We'll remember that over this winter when you have guests and we are all eating mac n cheese. Oh and spending $1500 to go to an innkeeping conference...NOT!
I hope we have guests this Fall/Winter!! I'm really getting worried about this economy!!
sad_smile.gif

wink_smile.gif

regular_smile.gif
cry_smile.gif

Samster said:
regular_smile.gif
cry_smile.gif
This is how I feel in Feb-Mar-Apr! It was so bad in Jan, we just close now.

wink_smile.gif

regular_smile.gif
cry_smile.gif

Samster said:
regular_smile.gif
cry_smile.gif
I hope we have guests this Fall/Winter!! I'm really getting worried about this economy!!
sad_smile.gif

Time for some language translator tools on your site perhaps? Its an approach that some are taking to try to attract more european travelers who are fairing better in the economy.

wink_smile.gif

regular_smile.gif
cry_smile.gif

Samster said:
regular_smile.gif
cry_smile.gif
sad_smile.gif

Time for some language translator tools on your site perhaps? Its an approach that some are taking to try to attract more european travelers who are fairing better in the economy.
Perhaps...although I can't imagine why Europeans would come here. Now, the big metropolis North of me...I can see that. Hmmm... Something to think about.

wink_smile.gif

regular_smile.gif
cry_smile.gif

Samster said:
regular_smile.gif
cry_smile.gif
sad_smile.gif

Perhaps...although I can't imagine why Europeans would come here. Now, the big metropolis North of me...I can see that. Hmmm... Something to think about.
To see the REAL America! Just as we know that the UK is more than London and to see the real UK one must go into the hinterlands!

wink_smile.gif

regular_smile.gif
cry_smile.gif

Samster said:
regular_smile.gif
cry_smile.gif
sad_smile.gif

Samster said:
Well, hey, I just had German guests tell us that my town is on the 'hot list' of places to go in New England. Whodathunkit!

wink_smile.gif

regular_smile.gif
cry_smile.gif

Samster said:
regular_smile.gif
cry_smile.gif
sad_smile.gif

Samster said:
Well, hey, I just had German guests tell us that my town is on the 'hot list' of places to go in New England. Whodathunkit!
ME!!! Oh...Come on ...with LL BEAN right there and all the other shopping...of course it is a hot spot!!!!

wink_smile.gif

regular_smile.gif
cry_smile.gif

Samster said:
regular_smile.gif
cry_smile.gif
sad_smile.gif

Samster said:
ME!!! Oh...Come on ...with LL BEAN right there and all the other shopping...of course it is a hot spot!!!!
catlady said:
I just don't picture it as being in tourist info books in other countries. It's not like it's Niagara Falls (where they all go after here), it's a store. It's not even Harrod's, a store I would visit just to say I had.
That's probably heresy. I'll probably be run out of town. I guess I'm used to it. I run in, get what I want and leave. Guests make it a 2-day 'project'.

wink_smile.gif

regular_smile.gif
cry_smile.gif

Samster said:
regular_smile.gif
cry_smile.gif
sad_smile.gif

Samster said:
catlady said:
I just don't picture it as being in tourist info books in other countries. It's not like it's Niagara Falls (where they all go after here), it's a store. It's not even Harrod's, a store I would visit just to say I had.
That's probably heresy. I'll probably be run out of town. I guess I'm used to it. I run in, get what I want and leave. Guests make it a 2-day 'project'.
Yep seems like we all take forgranted where we are:-( But even to today, I can sit for hours and look at our mountains and Skyline Drive. I am not jaded yet:)

wink_smile.gif

regular_smile.gif
cry_smile.gif

Samster said:
regular_smile.gif
cry_smile.gif
sad_smile.gif

Samster said:
OK, it's Summer & it's not so hot up there. New England is a great place to visit in the Summer. Also, you have all that shopping. Remember, in Europe they pay a whole lot more for clothing than we do here & now their money is strong against the dollar. So, a super good value for them.
Real America or not...there's not too much right now to draw International travelers to our neck of the woods. Next year, there will be an awesome attraction that will get a lot of people here. (related to our military presence). We hope!!

wink_smile.gif

regular_smile.gif
cry_smile.gif

Samster said:
regular_smile.gif
cry_smile.gif
sad_smile.gif

Samster said:
catlady said:
Bree said:
it's a store. It's not even Harrod's, a store I would visit just to say I had.
But that's just it... others visit it just to say that they did!
=)
Kk.

wink_smile.gif

regular_smile.gif
cry_smile.gif

Samster said:
regular_smile.gif
cry_smile.gif
sad_smile.gif

Samster said:
OK, it's Summer & it's not so hot up there. New England is a great place to visit in the Summer. Also, you have all that shopping. Remember, in Europe they pay a whole lot more for clothing than we do here & now their money is strong against the dollar. So, a super good value for them.
Real America or not...there's not too much right now to draw International travelers to our neck of the woods. Next year, there will be an awesome attraction that will get a lot of people here. (related to our military presence). We hope!!
Samster said:
OK, it's Summer & it's not so hot up there. New England is a great place to visit in the Summer.
You know who is in my dining room every morning now? Y'all. Wanting diet Coke for breakfast and wondering how come it's so cold here! Today it was TN, SC, NC & FL. Tales of how cold the water is...'my feet were purple!'
I'm about to go turn off the A/C in the inn...

wink_smile.gif

regular_smile.gif
cry_smile.gif

Samster said:
regular_smile.gif
cry_smile.gif
sad_smile.gif

Samster said:
catlady said:
Bree said:
=)
Kk.
YellowSocks said:
Bree said:
=)
Kk.
Oh, I know. They all tell me that...I just HAD to see it for myself. I hope it's living up to the hype. I know the stores in other states are not impressing anyone. They tell me that, too.

Back