Comfy chairs vs. table and chairs

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Country Girl

Reaction score
Currently we have a table and 2 side chairs in each of the B&B rooms. I am thinking of switching those for 2 comfy reading chairs or a small loveseat. We don't have a lot of room so I don't think I can fit recliners but maybe two chairs could share one ottoman. Given the choice would you prefer the table and chairs or something more comfortable?

I think a table is more practical. I think more comfortable means uses in ways you might not want to think about, and cleaning of things you might not want to think about. Then of course, using them as a luggage rack, the other use innkeepers don't want to think about.
shades_smile.gif

Given my druthers? Comfy chair with small side table for a lamp, book, glass of wine. We stayed at a place that had the table & chairs and it was so uncomfortable. Had to sit on the bed to read.
There's a guest there right now, but I'll take a pic of the new set up we have here tomorrow and post it for you.

Given my druthers? Comfy chair with small side table for a lamp, book, glass of wine. We stayed at a place that had the table & chairs and it was so uncomfortable. Had to sit on the bed to read.
There's a guest there right now, but I'll take a pic of the new set up we have here tomorrow and post it for you..
Madeleine said:
Comfy chair with small side table for a lamp, book, glass of wine.
I would go with comfy chairs, too and a side or end table. One caveat is that if you serve breakfast or meals in the rooms, you need a table to accommodate it. Or maybe something like this ottoman.

If having 2 comfy chairs eliminate having a table that would hold a computer/work space, then I would rather have the flat surface for my workspace.

I think partly it depends on your market 80% of my market are here for work so they need a desk with a plug socket. So all our rooms have a desk/dressing table large enough to work on. The larger rooms have a seating area ie comphy chair and a coffee table to put their cup/book etc on. However if your room is smaller and you are more a tourist destination I would go for comphy chairs

If you go with comfortable chairs or a recliner, consider going with something cleanable like leather rather than a harder to clean cloth chair.

If you go with comfortable chairs or a recliner, consider going with something cleanable like leather rather than a harder to clean cloth chair..
Thats why we bought leather tub chairs easily wipable especially considering what people get up to.

I stayed at a B&B that didn't have room for a table or desk in the guestroom so they provided a lapdesk that worked well. It was plenty big enough to hold my laptop and mouse. I've seen some that even have a cupholder and a notch to hold your pen like a school desk.
They have a cushion on the underside so it conforms to your legs and feels comfortable and secure. The only problem is that some Arkansas-sized people do not have a lap.
310wmhbiJzL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Or tell everyone to bring an iPad so there is no need for a mouse.
wink_smile.gif

Good poll question though, as I believe 95% of our guests use laptops in bed, read in bed, watch tv in bed...

I think partly it depends on your market 80% of my market are here for work so they need a desk with a plug socket. So all our rooms have a desk/dressing table large enough to work on. The larger rooms have a seating area ie comphy chair and a coffee table to put their cup/book etc on. However if your room is smaller and you are more a tourist destination I would go for comphy chairs.
0H A comphy chair please. Plus a very small table between each chair.
I thought I would add my 2 cents worth. How about a chompy chair .. with a wooden TV fold up table. You can store the tables in the closet, when not in use. I have the lap board also but not used much.
Having a love seat you find most will have one sit on it while the other person will sit on the bed. You know the bottom line is what will work best for you!! Cause guessing what will work best for a guest is a crap shoot!!!

I think partly it depends on your market 80% of my market are here for work so they need a desk with a plug socket. So all our rooms have a desk/dressing table large enough to work on. The larger rooms have a seating area ie comphy chair and a coffee table to put their cup/book etc on. However if your room is smaller and you are more a tourist destination I would go for comphy chairs.
0H A comphy chair please. Plus a very small table between each chair.
I thought I would add my 2 cents worth. How about a chompy chair .. with a wooden TV fold up table. You can store the tables in the closet, when not in use. I have the lap board also but not used much.
Having a love seat you find most will have one sit on it while the other person will sit on the bed. You know the bottom line is what will work best for you!! Cause guessing what will work best for a guest is a crap shoot!!!
Flower said:
Cause guessing what will work best for a guest is a crap shoot!!!
The best line I have read all day!

wink_smile.gif

Good poll question though, as I believe 95% of our guests use laptops in bed, read in bed, watch tv in bed....
I haven't used a mouse in years. Drives me crazy now to use a desktop with a mouse. I keep looking for the scroll pad!

Here ya go, I just took this upstairs, yes there are two sets of chest of drawers, a full closet with shelf, luggage racks, etc this is what happens to a sofa/loveseat:
lrg_Sofa%20crap%20holders.jpg

wink_smile.gif

Good poll question though, as I believe 95% of our guests use laptops in bed, read in bed, watch tv in bed....
I haven't used a mouse in years. Drives me crazy now to use a desktop with a mouse. I keep looking for the scroll pad!
Madeleine said:
I keep looking for the scroll pad!
And I hate scroll pads and laptop keyboards!
Takes all kinds to make a world, I guess.

Here ya go, I just took this upstairs, yes there are two sets of chest of drawers, a full closet with shelf, luggage racks, etc this is what happens to a sofa/loveseat:
Yeah, that's what I imagine will happen if I switch to chairs or a loveseat. Thanks for the photo. I wish I had room for both comfy chairs and a table and chairs.

I stayed at a B&B that didn't have room for a table or desk in the guestroom so they provided a lapdesk that worked well. It was plenty big enough to hold my laptop and mouse. I've seen some that even have a cupholder and a notch to hold your pen like a school desk.
They have a cushion on the underside so it conforms to your legs and feels comfortable and secure. The only problem is that some Arkansas-sized people do not have a lap.
Arkansawyer said:
How do they use laptops then? ;-)
On the desk? or do they rest them on some other part?
Sorry just had to ask!

HEY GIRL COUNT YOURSELF LUCKY. wE HAD PATH WAYS TO WALK!! iT DOESNOT MATTER CHAIR OR LOVE SEAT. THEY WILL FIND A WAY TO LEAVE CLOTHS YOUNG AND OLD. DARN SORRY FOR CAPS GRRRRR today I keep hitting caps lock instead of shift. Bad day sorry folks.
On a personal note tomarrow we got to put down our 18 year cockerpoo she has been our jem. Yes she has lived a long and wonderful life with us. Her first few years were rough. They breed her every 6 months

HEY GIRL COUNT YOURSELF LUCKY. wE HAD PATH WAYS TO WALK!! iT DOESNOT MATTER CHAIR OR LOVE SEAT. THEY WILL FIND A WAY TO LEAVE CLOTHS YOUNG AND OLD. DARN SORRY FOR CAPS GRRRRR today I keep hitting caps lock instead of shift. Bad day sorry folks.
On a personal note tomarrow we got to put down our 18 year cockerpoo she has been our jem. Yes she has lived a long and wonderful life with us. Her first few years were rough. They breed her every 6 months
Sorry Flower, she will be missed!

Back