Commercial Kitchen

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toddburme

Reaction score
just found out that it is not possible to have a commercial kitchen that serves as the main kitchen for B&B owner and family. In other words we would have to have our own kitchen and then the commercial kitchen. Just a MN thing or pretty standard?

Todd, do you mean commercial or just a kitchen that is allocated for B&B use only? There is a difference. I ask as that is not standard, B&B's are typically owner occupied and we use the same kitchen. Some locales require a separate fridge for the inn only.

An odd rule, but here as well. We can use the inn/family kitchen as one if it is not a commercial kitchen. If it is a commercial kitchen, the family cannot use it.

Todd, do you mean commercial or just a kitchen that is allocated for B&B use only? There is a difference. I ask as that is not standard, B&B's are typically owner occupied and we use the same kitchen. Some locales require a separate fridge for the inn only..
Here, 6 guestrooms or less no commercial kitchen required but get that 7th room and it is. Then you must also have your own family kitchen.

we can share the kitchen but we are supposed to have separate fridges.

We are currently under a B&B law. Five rooms or less and we can have a normal kitchen. If we wanted a commercial kitchen to do dinners, catering or whatever, we would also need a seperate kitchen for the B&B owner and family.

We are currently under a B&B law. Five rooms or less and we can have a normal kitchen. If we wanted a commercial kitchen to do dinners, catering or whatever, we would also need a seperate kitchen for the B&B owner and family..
toddburme said:
We are currently under a B&B law. Five rooms or less and we can have a normal kitchen. If we wanted a commercial kitchen to do dinners, catering or whatever, we would also need a seperate kitchen for the B&B owner and family.
Fair enough.
Listen to my reasoning - my daughters do not know the difference between salmonella and ,,, well anything. As often as I explain the whole raw meat thing, cleaning things properly, bleach and bacteria, they don't get it nor do they care. They have been banned from using my cutting board and prep area in the kitchen (B&B use only). They do not rinse out sponges, ever, they do not get the whole "someone can get very sick or die" part of food.
I believe all innkeepers should be required to know these things. It is a health and safety issue.
And for those who have a family in the home, well it makes it even more interesting doesn't it. If you are serving the public different standards apply. I have been to a couple B&B's where I was hesitant to eat, wondering about the hygiene in the kitchen, yes even old wood "porous" surfaces are banned in commercial kitchens. Some innkeepers don't get this.

I was getting the info for a potential buyer. They want to do catering too. In all that spare time. ;)

I was getting the info for a potential buyer. They want to do catering too. In all that spare time. ;).
toddburme said:
I was getting the info for a potential buyer. They want to do catering too. In all that spare time. ;)
Potential, I LIKE THE SOUND OF THAT TODD!
We were speaking about our attic here, how in the beginning before we WORE OUT, we said we would make the attic into an office or library or addtl space from the detached bath guest room. It is large and you can stand up and wander around.
Meanwhile back at the farm there is enough space to clean and MAINTAIN here. For us. But we can always tell this to potentials... :) We are approved to do functions here (not a restaurant) but functions, it semms the only lookers we had when we listed for sale were those dreamy eyed who wanted to do weddings and such. I tell them to GO FOR IT! I had a call yesterday for a bridal shower, I could fill up every weekend with functions. (but as we know I can make more in one room night and a ton less work! I ain't THAT silly!)

I was getting the info for a potential buyer. They want to do catering too. In all that spare time. ;).
toddburme said:
Potential, I LIKE THE SOUND OF THAT TODD!
We were speaking about our attic here, how in the beginning before we WORE OUT, we said we would make the attic into an office or library or addtl space from the detached bath guest room. It is large and you can stand up and wander around.
Meanwhile back at the farm there is enough space to clean and MAINTAIN here. For us. But we can always tell this to potentials... :) We are approved to do functions here (not a restaurant) but functions, it semms the only lookers we had when we listed for sale were those dreamy eyed who wanted to do weddings and such. I tell them to GO FOR IT! I had a call yesterday for a bridal shower, I could fill up every weekend with functions. (but as we know I can make more in one room night and a ton less work! I ain't THAT silly!)
I, too, have a list of ways potential buyers could expand the space here and other things they could do that I am not interested in doing.

We can use our kitchen for both, but because of business and personal use, cannot deduct for federal taxes. A kitchenette in our own quarters would cure that, but not likely to happen soon.

When you go to catering and exporting food outside of the B&B, seems like the kitchen rules change in most locales. You have to have a commercial kitchen here if you do outside catering and it can't be for the innkeepers use.

The good news about dealing with potential buyers is you learn stuff that you can then tell the next potential buyer.

Back