Comparing Rez GT with Rez Key

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Happy Keeper

Reaction score
After good comments were posted here regarding Rez Key, I am taking a look at it and trying to do a more specific comparison with our existing Rez GT.
Does anyone here have experience with both? Has anyone gone from Rez GT to Rez Key? Ha anyone who has Rez GT done a Rez Key trial?
I did contact the Rez Key fellow. He said he had not done any comparison with GT and that I should just do the trial. It would be great to hear from anyone who has used both and can help me understand what I might be gaining and losing.
Thanks

From what I can tell, Rez gt is not web based. For me this is a must. Rez key is. It looks to me like they pretty much have the same features. I do know Rez key has excellent support. If you come up with a good idea for John he will add it to the program. I have been very happy with res key. You need to ask yourself how much of the program you are going to use. I switched this year to taking online reservations only with a 1 night non refundable deposit and it is working better than i expected. I would try Rez key. Sign up and take a hands on tour for a month. Good luck!

And as Bob stated, rezkey booking engine is a link to your website (it's on their site) so you can remove the link at any time and be back on the other program, which is a great feature (I thought). A good way to test it out.

HHHMMM... that's an interesting thought. Wonder if I could have both on their for a short time, just to see what I think.
What I can't get over is the price difference... so what is the actual flat rate monthly for a five room inn with two users and real time online booking. Is it really $18.99?
Must be I am missing something. I don't know if I want to ask the folks at REZ GT.

HHHMMM... that's an interesting thought. Wonder if I could have both on their for a short time, just to see what I think.
What I can't get over is the price difference... so what is the actual flat rate monthly for a five room inn with two users and real time online booking. Is it really $18.99?
Must be I am missing something. I don't know if I want to ask the folks at REZ GT..
With 3 rooms I pay $10.99 so that sounds about right. If it says $18.99 that is what it is. I have used it for about 2 years now and love it. Even if I still listed with BandB, I would not want to have ALL my eggs in their basket, Everything with the same company in my mind (which may be like Swiss cheese but it is all I have) is putting me in a hostage situation of pay my price or I pull the plug or the company has problems and I would lose all my services. Diversify has its place.

Must be I am missing something. I don't know if I want to ask the folks at REZ GT..
Happy Keeper said:
You can create as many users as you need. No extra charge for that, or anything else.
We're having ResKey pass the credit card on to Authorize.net to process a deposit charge (1st night's stay) at time reservation is made, and Authorize.net DOES have a monthly charge for using them, and for using their service that stores the card numbers for future use, but those are Authorize.net charges.
ResKey only charges the rate you quote above, and if you don't take payment online payments, the $18.99 is all you'll pay each month.

Happy Keeper said:
You can create as many users as you need. No extra charge for that, or anything else.
We're having ResKey pass the credit card on to Authorize.net to process a deposit charge (1st night's stay) at time reservation is made, and Authorize.net DOES have a monthly charge for using them, and for using their service that stores the card numbers for future use, but those are Authorize.net charges.
ResKey only charges the rate you quote above, and if you don't take payment online payments, the $18.99 is all you'll pay each month.
AHHH! That's one thing that is different. We do not currently charge a deposit at the time of reservation. However, we could do that on our Costco credit card machine once the information came to us .
RESERVATION GT does not do any processing for us, they just pass it through to us on a secure server. SOOO.. Can you receive the credit card information and process it yourself or do you have contract with Authorize.net to receive the credit card information.
May I ask what authorize.net charges?
This was very helpful to hear.

Authorize.net charges $25/month but if you're not taking deposits you don't need Authorize.net.
ResKey will take the guest contact information, date(s) and room(s) booked, and any special requests and packages and pass it along to you. You can then accept the reservation, if you wish, and send the guest a confirmation.
Perhaps some of the others who don't take online payments can tell you if you get the full credit card info so you can charge them manually at your end. I'm not sure since we don't do it that way.
I know it has a place for them to enter CC info when they make the reservation, but don't know if they send you the number. There's some new law that's making it hard for most companies to store and transfer CC numbers (hence Authorize.net being able to charge $25 for their service).

Happy Keeper said:
AHHH! That's one thing that is different. We do not currently charge a deposit at the time of reservation. However, we could do that on our Costco credit card machine once the information came to us .
RESERVATION GT does not do any processing for us, they just pass it through to us on a secure server. SOOO.. Can you receive the credit card information and process it yourself or do you have contract with Authorize.net to receive the credit card information.
Happy Keeper said:
Hi, been using Res Key since the beginning of the year. I love it. Regarding the deposit & CC info. I do not use Authorize.net or Paypal (both of which are available to use with Res Key) BUT I do get the CC info - securely through ResKey and process deposits myself.
Once a reservation is made online, you will be sent an email telling you a reservation has been made and another providing you with the first 12 digits of the CC#, the remaining 4 digits will be contained with the reservation on Res Key. I just set up a folder in my email to house the emails with the CC#. The subject provides the last name and the reservation number to go back to at other times if need be. You can also find by date as the email & date reservation was made are the same.
I can not compare GT to Res Key, but compared to Webers, it is far superior product and the support could NOT be any better. I highly recommend them. Go through the trial period and see how you feel. If not enough time for a real test, go a couple more months, @ $18.99 a month. You are not under any long term commitment.

Happy Keeper said:
Happy Keeper said:
Hi, been using Res Key since the beginning of the year. I love it. Regarding the deposit & CC info. I do not use Authorize.net or Paypal (both of which are available to use with Res Key) BUT I do get the CC info - securely through ResKey and process deposits myself.
Once a reservation is made online, you will be sent an email telling you a reservation has been made and another providing you with the first 12 digits of the CC#, the remaining 4 digits will be contained with the reservation on Res Key. I just set up a folder in my email to house the emails with the CC#. The subject provides the last name and the reservation number to go back to at other times if need be. You can also find by date as the email & date reservation was made are the same.
I can not compare GT to Res Key, but compared to Webers, it is far superior product and the support could NOT be any better. I highly recommend them. Go through the trial period and see how you feel. If not enough time for a real test, go a couple more months, @ $18.99 a month. You are not under any long term commitment.
Well this is good information. IF I can take a secure reservation online in real time (it goes automatically into the Reservation system) and can send out an automatic confirmation, that is a good thing. That is what happens now with Rez GT.
Me thinks I would need to disable Rez GT so that I don't end up with double bookings.
I am not keen on asking REZ GT to compare, so I do wish there was a GT user who had switched.
Everyone has been (and is being) very helpful.

Happy Keeper said:
Happy Keeper said:
Well this is good information. IF I can take a secure reservation online in real time (it goes automatically into the Reservation system) and can send out an automatic confirmation, that is a good thing. That is what happens now with Rez GT.
Me thinks I would need to disable Rez GT so that I don't end up with double bookings.
I am not keen on asking REZ GT to compare, so I do wish there was a GT user who had switched.
YOU write the thank you for your reservation (confirmation if you want it on autopilot), Your Reservation is in 3 days, and the Thank you for staying letter that will send automatically AND you can personalize the generic "stay" letter (or any of them)when you do the checkout, just do an edit and update in queue plus tell it when to send the e-mail as in now or later.
It is a thing of beauty. I have been at teh computer when a rez came in and did the call for cc# (I do not take cc# online like Copperhear and JB) immediately. The guests have been amazed at how quickly the call came to confirm the rez they just made. It is real time in that it takes the room(s you can reserve multiple rooms in one rez) out of invemtory immediately but mine are not confirmed until I get the cc#. I think you will like it.

Happy Keeper said:
Happy Keeper said:
YOU write the thank you for your reservation (confirmation if you want it on autopilot), Your Reservation is in 3 days, and the Thank you for staying letter that will send automatically AND you can personalize the generic "stay" letter (or any of them)when you do the checkout, just do an edit and update in queue plus tell it when to send the e-mail as in now or later.
It is a thing of beauty. I have been at teh computer when a rez came in and did the call for cc# (I do not take cc# online like Copperhear and JB) immediately. The guests have been amazed at how quickly the call came to confirm the rez they just made. It is real time in that it takes the room(s you can reserve multiple rooms in one rez) out of invemtory immediately but mine are not confirmed until I get the cc#. I think you will like it.
We have instant confirmation set up. It has to be able to reserve and confirm automatically. Sounds like it can.

Happy Keeper said:
Happy Keeper said:
We have instant confirmation set up. It has to be able to reserve and confirm automatically. Sounds like it can.
What is your reasoning for instant confirmation vs for lack of a better term manual confirmation?
Is it just to review the reservation? I am sure this has been discussed elsewhere however, since it came up here thought I would double check what I think I already know.

Happy Keeper said:
Happy Keeper said:
What is your reasoning for instant confirmation vs for lack of a better term manual confirmation?
Is it just to review the reservation? I am sure this has been discussed elsewhere however, since it came up here thought I would double check what I think I already know.
Weaver said:
W, the whole purpose of online reservations is an amenity, they book it right now from anywhere any coast, any country, they are confirmed right now. There is no other reason to have it, and stuff around.
For those who have online rez and don't have it auto confim there must be a reason, ie they are using another service somewhere and don't want to double book... For most inns, our website is the portal to book a room, and in fact if we take one over the phone we are in the online rez system at the same time which takes the room out of inventory as we are doing it, so there is no double booking.
If someone calls and you are on a cell phone in the grocery store then you can ask them to book online right now as it is up to date. Although I prefer them to get a voice mail suggesting they book online instead of standing in line at the check out counter. That's just me though. :)

Happy Keeper said:
Happy Keeper said:
I have taken reservation calls while traveling, doing errands, cooling my heels in a doctor's office because DH wanted me along. I can get their cc# since they are on the phone but I ask if THEY have online capability right now as I do not and ask them to go online to make the reservation. I tell them it will take the room out of inventory and they can consider it confirmed.
I just do not like cc# online and do not want to have PCI problems. That is why this old non-techie innkeeper has the online rez but no instant confirm. My e-mail response letter tells the guest the room has now been taken out of inventory but will not be confirmed until I have a cc#. IF banks, big chain stores, and the Pentagon can be hacked, a small place like me is easy-peasy. Old-fashioned I know but I have come a long way.
I have always been caught with one foot in yesterday and one foot in today thanks to my parents and my up-bringing. Let me tell you, straddling that fence can get VERY uncomfortable - some pickets in that fence are higher and more pointed than others.

Happy Keeper said:
Happy Keeper said:
I have taken reservation calls while traveling, doing errands, cooling my heels in a doctor's office because DH wanted me along. I can get their cc# since they are on the phone but I ask if THEY have online capability right now as I do not and ask them to go online to make the reservation. I tell them it will take the room out of inventory and they can consider it confirmed.
I just do not like cc# online and do not want to have PCI problems. That is why this old non-techie innkeeper has the online rez but no instant confirm. My e-mail response letter tells the guest the room has now been taken out of inventory but will not be confirmed until I have a cc#. IF banks, big chain stores, and the Pentagon can be hacked, a small place like me is easy-peasy. Old-fashioned I know but I have come a long way.
I have always been caught with one foot in yesterday and one foot in today thanks to my parents and my up-bringing. Let me tell you, straddling that fence can get VERY uncomfortable - some pickets in that fence are higher and more pointed than others.
gillumhouse said:
No offence K, but this is why I want to book online and not call an inn. I do not like to call and listen to background of a dr's office, or car driving, etc. I just don't like it. Now do I represent the John Q Public, I don't know. I don't want a cell phone call received in a toilet, restaurant, grocery store.
PCI compliance is your credit card machine and how you handle that, since you don't have any cc information on your website. Neither do I. None of us do, unless we have our own rez system we created and have on our websites.
Reason #2 - for online rez they check that little box agreeing to our policies, and they know when they do it, this is worth gold in my book.

Happy Keeper said:
Happy Keeper said:
gillumhouse said:
No offence K, but this is why I want to book online and not call an inn. I do not like to call and listen to background of a dr's office, or car driving, etc. I just don't like it. Now do I represent the John Q Public, I don't know. I don't want a cell phone call received in a toilet, restaurant, grocery store.
PCI compliance is your credit card machine and how you handle that, since you don't have any cc information on your website. Neither do I. None of us do, unless we have our own rez system we created and have on our websites.
Reason #2 - for online rez they check that little box agreeing to our policies, and they know when they do it, this is worth gold in my book.
Do you then swipe the card when they arrive? I like the cash or check payments I receive - no credit card bite. Do you pay extra to have the credit card number taken/verified? If so, how much.

Happy Keeper said:
Happy Keeper said:
gillumhouse said:
Do you then swipe the card when they arrive? I like the cash or check payments I receive - no credit card bite. Do you pay extra to have the credit card number taken/verified? If so, how much.
gillumhouse said:
aye?
I swipe the card. Like I did today, as check out they hand me the card and I swipe it. Or they can pay however they want (cash gladly accepted with proper id)
wink_smile.gif

No, there is no extra fee for the credit card, they just type it in to "secure" their reservation. You don't even have to look at it if you don't want to, or you can and take the deposit if that is what you like to do.
Example, the BOGO was all prepaid no cancellation no changes so for those I got the cc's and run them for their stay as prepayment. I don't prefer to do this, but it was how this special operated. It was our least booked month, and I didn't want anyone backing out saying "Oh it might snow" as this was the deal Buy one night get the second night free. But you had to pay upfront for this special rate. Some added on extra to this package/special like flowers or cheese crackers fruit plate.

Happy Keeper said:
Happy Keeper said:
Weaver said:
W, the whole purpose of online reservations is an amenity, they book it right now from anywhere any coast, any country, they are confirmed right now. There is no other reason to have it, and stuff around.
For those who have online rez and don't have it auto confim there must be a reason, ie they are using another service somewhere and don't want to double book... For most inns, our website is the portal to book a room, and in fact if we take one over the phone we are in the online rez system at the same time which takes the room out of inventory as we are doing it, so there is no double booking.
If someone calls and you are on a cell phone in the grocery store then you can ask them to book online right now as it is up to date. Although I prefer them to get a voice mail suggesting they book online instead of standing in line at the check out counter. That's just me though. :)
JB - Ok so the confirmation is really immaterial. I totally understand the online booking and personally would not want to do it any other way. As long as the room is out of inventory and you are not using alernate or second res system there is no big deal. The guest is basically autonomous in the reservation process, and really no need for you to intervene. Guest enters information including credit card, deposit gets processed, and you never touch the card or interact with the guest unless they have questions or changes.
Those that manually confirm are either using a secondary res system in addition to the portal on your inn's web site, or they choose to review the reservation (for whatever reason including a potential double booking), and or charge the card manually before an offical confirmation, even if the room is out of inventory on the web site.
Correct?
Just trying to make sure there is no other outstanding reason to not have it automatically and instantly confirm and charge the card the deposit.

Happy Keeper said:
Happy Keeper said:
Weaver said:
JB - Ok so the confirmation is really immaterial. I totally understand the online booking and personally would not want to do it any other way. As long as the room is out of inventory and you are not using alernate or second res system there is no big deal. The guest is basically autonomous in the reservation process, and really no need for you to intervene. Guest enters information including credit card, deposit gets processed, and you never touch the card or interact with the guest unless they have questions or changes.
Those that manually confirm are either using a secondary res system in addition to the portal on your inn's web site, or they choose to review the reservation (for whatever reason including a potential double booking), and or charge the card manually before an offical confirmation, even if the room is out of inventory on the web site.
Correct?
Just trying to make sure there is no other outstanding reason to not have it automatically and instantly confirm and charge the card the deposit.
Weaver said:
JB - Ok so the confirmation is really immaterial. (NO! It has important info, so they don't try to check in at noon!!) it may have policies as well, whatever the innkeeper wants on it, it IS IMPORTANT.)
I totally understand the online booking and personally would not want to do it any other way. As long as the room is out of inventory and you are not using alernate or second res system there is no big deal. The guest is basically autonomous in the reservation process, and really no need for you to intervene. Guest enters information including credit card, deposit gets processed, and you never touch the card or interact with the guest unless they have questions or changes. YES! or maybe. I have had three emails from a guest for this saturday, she is very excited!
Those that manually confirm are either using a secondary res system in addition to the portal on your inn's web site, or they choose to review the reservation (for whatever reason including a potential double booking), and or charge the card manually before an offical confirmation, even if the room is out of inventory on the web site. (They manually confirm thinking they can knock it back if they need to, but as discussed most of the time you don't know someone may be a wacko from an online booking anyway!)
Correct?

Back