competitors steal guests

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MooseTrax

Reaction score
how do you handle this problem? our guests who left this morning were eating dinner at the local diner-it's that good- when they were approached by another innkeeper who was also eating there. the other innkeeper struck up a conversation with them. when they said they were staying with me the innkeeper asked why. then went on to explain why their b&b was *better*. this is not the first time we have had guests tell us this. all of the guests who were approached were horrified that this person would do this so they will not be going there. would you say anything or figure this innkeeper is doing you a favor?

I once referred a customer to a local competitor for the extra days I couldn't accommodate. She stole the whole reservation from me. I called her and she acted like she didn't even know they were staying with me. A likely story. Easy solution: no more referrals.

Wow, and I thought our market was tough (see my previous threads on competitors stealing content from our website). This is just...blech. Whatever does this person hope to accomplish by confronting people like this? Do you think it's ever been successful for him/her? Is your town small enough that this other innkeeper just automatically knew that your guests were visitors?
There are some of my competitors who I just plain don't like...but I would still say to a guest or even potential guest of theirs one or two "nice" things about their place, they all have redeeming qualities.
I don't think it helps you any to confront the other innkeeper. I know it doesn't feel like much now but you get to be the bigger person here, resist the urge to say anything bad about this idiot. There, I just said it for you
teeth_smile.gif

MooseTrax said:
would you say anything or figure this innkeeper is doing you a favor?
how do you figure this could be considered doing you a favor?

last summer, we received an inquiry from a potential guest asking information about our inn & other inns.he was very friendly & during our conversation he mentioned that he had just gotten off the phone the innkeeper of XYZ inn across the street. he had told XYZ innkeeper that he was calling around,checking prices, etc.XYZ innkeeper told him that he owns our inn also! I was completely caught off guard and my voice must have showed it because the man said, "oh maybe i called a different place, aren't you ABC inn?" i said yes but we are not owned by anyone other than myself & my husband. he asked why XYZ innkeeper would have told him that & i said i had no idea why. he asked what our inn is like compared to XYZ inn. I told him i have never been to or inside XYZ inn (which is the truth) and as a matter of fact, i had only ever spoken to XYZ innkeeper 1 time for about 5 minutes. the man ended up booking with us because he said he did not like the fact that XYZ innkeeper had told him something that turned out to not be true.
My point is, we really never know what other innkeepers may or may not be saying to other guests/potential guests about fellow inns. I'm guessing that XYZ innkeeper was not assuming there might be a chance the guest would repeat to me what XYZ innkeeper said.
why would that innkeeper feel the need to "poach" other inns guests? are they that unsure of their ability to get their own guests? it sound like they approached more of your guests other than just that couple?

MooseTrax said:
how do you figure this could be considered doing you a favor?.
Because, hopefully the smart guests will realize how sleazy it is to do that and avoid the thieving innkeeper due to their big mouth and over inflated sense of superiority.
wink_smile.gif

MooseTrax said:
Because, hopefully the smart guests will realize how sleazy it is to do that and avoid the thieving innkeeper due to their big mouth and over inflated sense of superiority.
wink_smile.gif

That is so very true! Honesty is almost always rewarded with reservations. We have found over the last four years that our passion for collaborating with other inns is driving business in our door. When a guest senses that you are so confident in what you do that you willingly suggest other places that might be a good choice for them, you have either found another perfect guest or created a referral source for a future guest.

MooseTrax said:
mollysmom said:
MooseTrax said:
how do you figure this could be considered doing you a favor?
my thought was that the guests were outraged so would not book there but would come back to me next time in the area. someone asked if it was more than one guest and it was. we've been told this at least 3 times. how where they are staying comes up in general conversation is unknown.

I had a call today from a lady looking for a place to go for about 10 days to trail ride with their horses. She said there were only 2 listed in WV - true. AFTER we had determined I do not have what she wants - park their RV and ride hills etc when all we have is a couple rail trails - too tame, she asked if I had heard anything about the other place. I told her that SINCE she asked, I had had several people tell me the place is very nice, the owners are great, but it is problematical to get into and out of. I have NOT been there but this is what I have been told. I also gave her the name of another place in the mountains that I have tried to recruit for MABB and they have not responded - again I know NOTHING about them - butthey are in the hills.
I do not knock anyone but if I am asked must tell what I have been told by at least 3 visitors who all said the same thing. I give away guests when I am not a fit, I do not need to steal them.

We had a local inn/restaurant have their staff try to steal guests away from other inns. Doesn't sit well with us at all! We no longer send any of our guests to their restaurant for dinner. This kind of tactic is not appreciated. Several innkeepers have called them on it as well and told them exactly what they thought. I was glad they spoke up for themselves. They needed to know they were caught!

Moose, at least you KNOW about this other innkeeper and after 3 different guests stating such, you now know it as fact. These guests obviously were not impressed by this guy and most likely any of you other guests he may have bumped into felt the same. You have nothing to worry about, as your personality will drive them to you and his will drive them to you as well. In cases like this, it would be to your benefit to have bookings by phone as if they have talked to him, they will call you and be swept away! People can really see through his type.

I once referred a customer to a local competitor for the extra days I couldn't accommodate. She stole the whole reservation from me. I called her and she acted like she didn't even know they were staying with me. A likely story. Easy solution: no more referrals..
I always have felt there were enough guests to go around for all of us here. And we all have different styles. I would recommend some, but others which I would never stay in, I just never acknowledged to someone inquiring. I just told them to call the local Chamber. I like being cooperative and helpful to innkeepers who reciprocate to me. THose who stab me behind my back, get nothing from me.

I guess I would ignor the other innkeeper. People are very turned off by that behavior. We refer people all the time because we often have our 2 rooms booked and still have wine tour seats open. When people call to try and book both, we refer them to the other B&Bs after checking what they are looking for. If they want an inn in town we refer them. If they want something out of town in the country we refer them.
We are lucky in that the other inns refer our wine tours and would never do other than compliment the guest on their accommodation selections.
There is however the occasional inn here that misleads people into thinking they are just "15-20 minutes from town" and we receive complaints about those all the time. We can't say anything about them. This happened again right now on graduation weekend. A guest asked if their family could gather at our inn for an hour or so until their dinner reservation as some of the family arrived here to find out they were actually 45 minutes from town instead of the 20 minutes they were told. She said this had so turned off the husband he was turned off from B&Bs totally and she wanted him to see ours. When they left he asked for a card since they want to return during a football weekend.
Riki

I guess I would ignor the other innkeeper. People are very turned off by that behavior. We refer people all the time because we often have our 2 rooms booked and still have wine tour seats open. When people call to try and book both, we refer them to the other B&Bs after checking what they are looking for. If they want an inn in town we refer them. If they want something out of town in the country we refer them.
We are lucky in that the other inns refer our wine tours and would never do other than compliment the guest on their accommodation selections.
There is however the occasional inn here that misleads people into thinking they are just "15-20 minutes from town" and we receive complaints about those all the time. We can't say anything about them. This happened again right now on graduation weekend. A guest asked if their family could gather at our inn for an hour or so until their dinner reservation as some of the family arrived here to find out they were actually 45 minutes from town instead of the 20 minutes they were told. She said this had so turned off the husband he was turned off from B&Bs totally and she wanted him to see ours. When they left he asked for a card since they want to return during a football weekend.
Riki.
Now you see why the association wants to list all membership by their ACTUAL addresses and map it as such. We got lots of complaints from guests who were lied to literally about the distance and time they were from actual cities.

Riki.
Now you see why the association wants to list all membership by their ACTUAL addresses and map it as such. We got lots of complaints from guests who were lied to literally about the distance and time they were from actual cities.
Well when the new website went up and I looked in Charlottesville and the first B&B listed was in Orange, I was not pleased either. I'm glad it was changed.
I have not heard complaints about my sister inns who were until this year listed in Charlottesville and still feel that if you don't want to list them in Charlottesville because they are on the other side of the city line, then you should have only these inns listed in "the Charlottesville area" so guests understand they are driveable to town for dinner. I have only heard complaints of those who are not drivable distance for dinner who say that they are.
I don't consider inns 45 minute drive away "in the Charlottesville area"
Riki

Riki.
Well when the new website went up and I looked in Charlottesville and the first B&B listed was in Orange, I was not pleased either. I'm glad it was changed.
I have not heard complaints about my sister inns who were until this year listed in Charlottesville and still feel that if you don't want to list them in Charlottesville because they are on the other side of the city line, then you should have only these inns listed in "the Charlottesville area" so guests understand they are driveable to town for dinner. I have only heard complaints of those who are not drivable distance for dinner who say that they are.
I don't consider inns 45 minute drive away "in the Charlottesville area"
Riki
Yes unfortunately, all the bugs had not been worked out before it was announced...and there still are some major issues. But not my problem any longer as I have retired from them:) What a great weight off of my sore shoulders.

Riki.
catlady said:
This is a common problem with association sites. They all want to make their members happy and have in the past been willing to list people in whatever town the people wanted...which was often the town they thought was the biggest draw ... some would even get PO boxes so they could make it official. Finally many are starting to come around..misleading travelers comes back to reflect badly on the site.
I fight this battle with my own regional directory fairly often...they want to be listed some place else instead of where they are. They get annoyed with me because I usually won't do it (I don't make the decision arbitrarily I have a time of travel limit).
It's annoying..people live on a creek and want to be listed as lakefront, or they are 20 miles from a town and they want to be listed in it.
rolleyes.gif
I stick to my decisions that I have to provide the best site to travelers in order to provide the best site for inns.

Riki.
catlady said:
This is a common problem with association sites. They all want to make their members happy and have in the past been willing to list people in whatever town the people wanted...which was often the town they thought was the biggest draw ... some would even get PO boxes so they could make it official. Finally many are starting to come around..misleading travelers comes back to reflect badly on the site.
I fight this battle with my own regional directory fairly often...they want to be listed some place else instead of where they are. They get annoyed with me because I usually won't do it (I don't make the decision arbitrarily I have a time of travel limit).
It's annoying..people live on a creek and want to be listed as lakefront, or they are 20 miles from a town and they want to be listed in it.
rolleyes.gif
I stick to my decisions that I have to provide the best site to travelers in order to provide the best site for inns.
swirt said:
catlady said:
rolleyes.gif
people will call us with an inquiry and ask if we really have the water views that we claim we have. YES, we REALLY do have the water views we claim to have. the folks who ask that will usually say," well, i stayed at this one place one time and they said they had h2o views but there was only a view if you looked way out the window & there was no leaves on the trees, etc." unfortunately 1 innkeeper misrepresenting their location, view, etc. puts doubt in the minds of potential guests for other innkeepers who really are portraying their view, location accurately.

Something I find aggravating is when they post distance as the crow flies, which they do, as they explained to us on this forum quite a while ago. Some BnB's are not in cities, so as the crow flies can be a substantial distance drive time vs fly-over time. For a guest to assume the 20 minutes is a drive is totally misleading, when is actuality it is over and hour. No one in their right mind would think anyone, directory, BnB website or person would give them a distance "as the crow flies."

Something I find aggravating is when they post distance as the crow flies, which they do, as they explained to us on this forum quite a while ago. Some BnB's are not in cities, so as the crow flies can be a substantial distance drive time vs fly-over time. For a guest to assume the 20 minutes is a drive is totally misleading, when is actuality it is over and hour. No one in their right mind would think anyone, directory, BnB website or person would give them a distance "as the crow flies.".
Joe I am total agreement! There is a huge lake between us and the big city. We are on a direct path over the bridge but sit further from the lake. There is a B&B in a town near us but sits closer to the lake. We are 36 miles (real miles) from big city and they are 47, but show as 20. - UH by helicoptor. We can only hope that people have enough brains to look at other map souces before booking if those issues are important to them.
But what bugs me is that because they use 'as the crow files', some directories will list the B&B's that are actually further because they 'fit' in the distance from the directory has set as the standard. We hear these stories all the time from those that take the time to look deeper.

Back