Complete and Utter Inertia!

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joey Camb

Reaction score
I appreciate that most people on here are more switched on than most! but people are hopeless and drive me mad! I have 3 delegates here from Holland (1night) who are scouting out for a HUGE car rally comming to Harrogate in August I am already full for the dates they want (gutted) so emailed out to anyone who has rooms to let me know so I can give them the info ie 4 night booking at least maybe more and direct so no commission. All I needed was yes I have rooms and I would put it on the list. I am not getting anything out of this and doing it for free.
You would think I had asked for Blood! plus soooo slow to get back to me (I put on it that it was urgent as they are only here 1 night need the info right away) Is this the same all over? I have a feeling 2012 will be harsh so am surprised more people are not getting with the program and stepping up their marketing or working together or whatever???? thats my rant for today over!!

Same all over and it is always a surprise. We have a deal with the closest B&B. We trade clients etc. It is a good deal for both of us and since trust has been built up, we respond quickly. I just wish we could build more of these.

Afraid so - same all over. And yes, it is frustrating as hell!!!!!

Sometimes I go spare we have a very good italian only 20 yards away (see I can do US measurements) but it is quiet all over at the moment due to the economy but what are they doing to help themselves? there are 6 B&Bs within 500 meters but do we have coupons to give our guests - no. Can we get copies of the menu for our guests - only if we print them ourselves off the web site. Then frankly you don't deserve my business.

Sometimes I go spare we have a very good italian only 20 yards away (see I can do US measurements) but it is quiet all over at the moment due to the economy but what are they doing to help themselves? there are 6 B&Bs within 500 meters but do we have coupons to give our guests - no. Can we get copies of the menu for our guests - only if we print them ourselves off the web site. Then frankly you don't deserve my business..
We have a dozen or so restaurants in the immediate area. I have hardly heard from any of them.
About a year ago we decided that when we make reservations for our guests that all reservations will be made in the name of the B&B. Even those done through websites. Now some of them actually are getting used to hearing our name. We were at one last night and introduced ourselves, so they can put a face to the name.
We've now done that with some of the other places and all those reservations seem to stick in their mind. We then ask them for something that they can do for our clients, not for us. It seems to get the point across, but you are right, they are daft.

A couple of years ago we decided to go away for a few days break in September. I emailed several places we would like to stay in and I was appauled at most of the replies I got.
Things like "Yes, we have a room".
That's it, a total of 5 words in the email. No name, no please or thank you, no details about what room is available, how do I book it, what about deposits???
Another reply was
"we're full."
I have a basic "full" email that I cut/paste which suggests alternate days, local B&Bs amd links to local trade association websites. It's not that difficult to set up and simple to copy and send.
I have in the past had people say they were so impressed by the politeness and helpfulness of my emails that they re-arranged their trip so they could stay here.

Sometimes I go spare we have a very good italian only 20 yards away (see I can do US measurements) but it is quiet all over at the moment due to the economy but what are they doing to help themselves? there are 6 B&Bs within 500 meters but do we have coupons to give our guests - no. Can we get copies of the menu for our guests - only if we print them ourselves off the web site. Then frankly you don't deserve my business..
We have a dozen or so restaurants in the immediate area. I have hardly heard from any of them.
About a year ago we decided that when we make reservations for our guests that all reservations will be made in the name of the B&B. Even those done through websites. Now some of them actually are getting used to hearing our name. We were at one last night and introduced ourselves, so they can put a face to the name.
We've now done that with some of the other places and all those reservations seem to stick in their mind. We then ask them for something that they can do for our clients, not for us. It seems to get the point across, but you are right, they are daft.
Eric Arthur Blair said:
About a year ago we decided that when we make reservations for our guests that all reservations will be made in the name of the B&B....Now some of them actually are getting used to hearing our name.
Excellent idea! That way they'll realize who's sending them business.

Eric Arthur Blair said:
About a year ago we decided that when we make reservations for our guests that all reservations will be made in the name of the B&B....Now some of them actually are getting used to hearing our name.
When I make reservations for dinner for guests I state, This is Kathleen at the Gillum House B & B inShinnston, I would like to make a reservation for my guests.....

A couple of years ago we decided to go away for a few days break in September. I emailed several places we would like to stay in and I was appauled at most of the replies I got.
Things like "Yes, we have a room".
That's it, a total of 5 words in the email. No name, no please or thank you, no details about what room is available, how do I book it, what about deposits???
Another reply was
"we're full."
I have a basic "full" email that I cut/paste which suggests alternate days, local B&Bs amd links to local trade association websites. It's not that difficult to set up and simple to copy and send.
I have in the past had people say they were so impressed by the politeness and helpfulness of my emails that they re-arranged their trip so they could stay here..
trouble is with the economy putting people out of work some are thinking well we are out of work and have a house so lets do B&B but have no experience, skill, marketing know how or customer service and are of the mindset of "how difficult can it be?" which again makes me potty! I reply to every email and suggest other properties or if its a very busy time offer to email out their requirements and other properties will get in touch with prices and avaliability. You would never just get "sorry we are full". For example this weekend we were full friday and sat when we got a call looking for about 12 rooms for 3 nights (was gutted) however got them all in with my friend Bev who has just made a killing and the guests are all happy to (they are here for a clothing sale ie they are running it) and so on.

Eric Arthur Blair said:
trouble in this country unless its a busy time ie fathers day, mothers day valentines people don't make reservations (and then whinge there isn't enough staff on) plus with 253 places to eat within 15 minutes walk of me they see them all and think oh we will just walk and find something. With the new Harrogate Food and Drink trade association we are hoping this will improve ie they will have a sticker in the window and anyone showing it will do an offer to anyone with a HGT food and drink card which will be free. they were going to do it ie 10% off but I said what is better is each property sets its own offer and can change it whenever ie say you had a whole load of shrimp and needed to get it shifted you could make the offer for the next 3 days 10% off shrimp dishes. Plus people would have to come in to see what the offer that day was and once people are in they can't be arsed to go anywhere else and you have them. where as a blanket discount just means people who would have eaten there anyway just get a discount which achieves nothing.

Eric Arthur Blair said:
trouble in this country unless its a busy time ie fathers day, mothers day valentines people don't make reservations (and then whinge there isn't enough staff on) plus with 253 places to eat within 15 minutes walk of me they see them all and think oh we will just walk and find something. With the new Harrogate Food and Drink trade association we are hoping this will improve ie they will have a sticker in the window and anyone showing it will do an offer to anyone with a HGT food and drink card which will be free. they were going to do it ie 10% off but I said what is better is each property sets its own offer and can change it whenever ie say you had a whole load of shrimp and needed to get it shifted you could make the offer for the next 3 days 10% off shrimp dishes. Plus people would have to come in to see what the offer that day was and once people are in they can't be arsed to go anywhere else and you have them. where as a blanket discount just means people who would have eaten there anyway just get a discount which achieves nothing.
Good thinking! You are a great marketer!!

Eric Arthur Blair said:
Good thinking! You are a great marketer!!
the trouble is in our market the hotels (and I totally blame them) for competing almost entirely on price and discounting the heck out of everything! all it does is train the customer to only book when there is a discount which is a pile of crap. this way it is a sort of cross between a treasure hunt as well as moving stock that needs to be shifted. The number of times when I worked in a big hotel they would do a coupon but they did it way too often and the customers would simply wait till the next one, the customers told me this so I know its the case.

Back