Compliance Checks

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

GoodScout

Reaction score
Now we find out today that Vermont is going to be sending agents around to licensed lodging locations to verify that we're adhering to the state's quarantine restrictions as to who we let in.

We're happy to comply, of course. Happy, except that none of the unlicensed short-term rentals and airbnbs are being checked. Cops knocking at our doors while the party houses down the street keep on rocking.

So I guess, really, we're not happy at all.

Point out the unlicensed places. Our health inspector has been doing the compliance checking here. He will contact unlicensed places that are breaking rules. He’ll also check more licensed places than were on his list. It’s been pretty obvious here who is doing that given full parking lot with out of state plates at x location while y location next door is mostly empty.

My plan is to point the troopers at the culprits, and say "You need to check them out first. When you come back, I'll serve you some coffee and show you all our paperwork about how we're complying."

It hasn’t come to that here yet. I know I would resent it.

We're happy to comply, of course. Happy, except that none of the unlicensed short-term rentals and airbnbs are being checked. Cops knocking at our doors while the party houses down the street keep on rocking.

My issue with many laws and rules, we seem to go after the low hanging fruit, make the politician look good, make more work for the guy who was trying to follow the rules already, while ignoring the larger issues.

Reactions: MRA
My issue with many laws and rules, we seem to go after the low hanging fruit, make the politician look good, make more work for the guy who was trying to follow the rules already, while ignoring the larger issues.
Definitely low hanging fruit. If the state was really serious there would be people at the airport checking compliance and also at the toll booths. I’m ready to close for the season.

Definitely low hanging fruit. If the state was really serious there would be people at the airport checking compliance and also at the toll booths. I’m ready to close for the season.
Agree. How about at restaurants and amusement parks?

Airbnb wasn't collecting taxes from their hosts and it was unfair to us because we have to collect and pay tax. That right off makes us substantially more expensive.

So we pointed this out to our county sales tax department to no avail.

Then we went to our board of supervisors and in a public meeting said, no health inspections, no fire inspections, no water inspections if on wells, and no tax collection. All they have to do is write a letter to Airbnb but no....turns out one of the board of supervisor members is the biggest airbnb renters in the area.

Do as I say, not as I do.

Airbnb wasn't collecting taxes from their hosts and it was unfair to us because we have to collect and pay tax. That right off makes us substantially more expensive.

So we pointed this out to our county sales tax department to no avail.

Then we went to our board of supervisors and in a public meeting said, no health inspections, no fire inspections, no water inspections if on wells, and no tax collection. All they have to do is write a letter to Airbnb but no....turns out one of the board of supervisor members is the biggest airbnb renters in the area.

Do as I say, not as I do.

I am not biting my tongue on my response - I am CHEWING it to avoid the no politics issue (which I DO support BTW here!

Ok, gang, this was an observation by an innkeeper following health directives in his state. It was not a political statement. Keep off the politics. As much as you might think it is, this little group is not a democracy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back