complimentary soda and bottled water??

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
we offer canned sodas (8 oz) and have just switched over to carafes of filtered & chilled waters with glasses in the guest rooms. The carafes are kept in a common refrig. I am very tempted to eliminate sodas, but haven't done it yet

We provide one coke and one sprite per room. Our reasoning is that either of these can be consumed as is or used as a mixer if a guest was so inclined. We are on well water and sometimes the water is a little too "tasty" for some so we provide two small bottles of water and on larger bottle of filtered water for making coffee in the room.

Right now bottled water and soda. When we get to five rooms I hope to give them their own green produced logoed bottle to keep filled with our well water and take home.
RIki

Ok, I'm going to sound cold and cruel....I don't get offering sodas. I'm not a free convenience store. I would never expect to have free sodas anywhere I stay. That stuff gets expensive. Innkeepers are on here discussing a $.35 chocolate or not, but then they offer sodas. I'd go for the chocolate any day.

Ok, I'm going to sound cold and cruel....I don't get offering sodas. I'm not a free convenience store. I would never expect to have free sodas anywhere I stay. That stuff gets expensive. Innkeepers are on here discussing a $.35 chocolate or not, but then they offer sodas. I'd go for the chocolate any day..
Breakfast Diva said:
Ok, I'm going to sound cold and cruel....I don't get offering sodas. I'm not a free convenience store. I would never expect to have free sodas anywhere I stay. That stuff gets expensive. Innkeepers are on here discussing a $.35 chocolate or not, but then they offer sodas. I'd go for the chocolate any day.
But would you go for a chocolate soda?

Ok, I'm going to sound cold and cruel....I don't get offering sodas. I'm not a free convenience store. I would never expect to have free sodas anywhere I stay. That stuff gets expensive. Innkeepers are on here discussing a $.35 chocolate or not, but then they offer sodas. I'd go for the chocolate any day..
Breakfast Diva said:
But it's not expensive...it is there and not often consumed. I can get the sodas for less than the chocolates!
Buying a guest fridge is more expensive, and I finally got in line on that one and not many guests use it, but those who do appreciate it, esp for med's, ice pack compresses, etc.
Chocolates are every room every day, sodas are there if they want it. When you travel and/or are out and about you get thirsty.
I will never forget walking into a BnB in PA and the host opening the fridge and reaching in and saying "Which one do you want? Iced tea, snapple lemonade, coke,..." and it was a great welcome after 6 hours driving.

I have to agree with JB. It is not that expensive. And it seems kind of chintzy to me that someone would not offer assorted beverages at the least as an amenity. I I had a whole variety of flavors, waters, juices and snack basket. To me..it is the hospitable thing to do.

I have to agree with JB. It is not that expensive. And it seems kind of chintzy to me that someone would not offer assorted beverages at the least as an amenity. I I had a whole variety of flavors, waters, juices and snack basket. To me..it is the hospitable thing to do.
I used to offer sodas, and guests really never drank them....hubs ended up usually being the one to clean them out. Now it's hot beverages anytime (coffee, cocoa, cider, many teas) and cold bottled water with the little flavoring packets available for those who need something cold with some flavor.

Yes, soda's and a water dispenser with cold and hot for tea's. The soda's are mostly wiped out when friends and family drop by.

Breakfast Diva said:
Proud Texan said:
Breakfast Diva said:
Ewwwww...I had one of those once and it was nasty!
Maybe because we have a lot of younger guests, I see most of them drinking soda. We recycle all their cans. We provide them 24 hours a day with coffee, tea, hot cocoa, bottled water (2 per stay, then refill themselves), cookies, red vines and homemade hot apple cider in the winter only. We have an ice maker in the guest area and they can make their own iced coffee and iced tea. I think I'm gonna stay cheap on this one, but thanks for the input.

The guests really, really appreciate the complimentary cold beverages here. I've never had them wiped out. Some guests don't drink the sodas or bottled water. Overall, it's an inexpensive amenity for perceived added value. In the Summer, if we have a full house I'll also make iced tea and/or lemonade and put it out in the dining room with cake or cookies. Because most of our rooms have individual guest fridges, they usually have their sweet treat waiting in the room.
Of course, we have 24 hour coffee, tea, hot chocolate, hot cider, and even cappucino. That stuff gets used less than the cold beverages.
Guests always comment on the attention to details here :)

I'm with you on this one, BD. With 9 rooms it would just get prohibitively expensive for us to do any kind of canned or bottled drinks. People seem way more into the homemade cookies every day, and the tea selection.
When we've traveled to b&b's, I'd say I was pleasantly surprised if they offered something like this, and not even aware if it wasn't offered. It's just not something I would look for.
I'm to the point now, I put out a welcome card and two chocolates on check-in day for each room. More and more of the candies are being left. The candy is not expensive but the cards are, when we run out I think I'm just going to drop it. I always liked it because I would put the guests' first names on the cards and I thought it was welcoming, but I've never once had a single comment on it.

I'm with you on this one, BD. With 9 rooms it would just get prohibitively expensive for us to do any kind of canned or bottled drinks. People seem way more into the homemade cookies every day, and the tea selection.
When we've traveled to b&b's, I'd say I was pleasantly surprised if they offered something like this, and not even aware if it wasn't offered. It's just not something I would look for.
I'm to the point now, I put out a welcome card and two chocolates on check-in day for each room. More and more of the candies are being left. The candy is not expensive but the cards are, when we run out I think I'm just going to drop it. I always liked it because I would put the guests' first names on the cards and I thought it was welcoming, but I've never once had a single comment on it.
With 9 rooms, i can see how this could get pricey and I understand that completely. I take chocolates over beverages any day:) WIth my 3 rooms, it was not a problem and something I enjoyed providing to guests. Welcome cards...hmmm...with just my name on it??? And no little welcome message? If no one has ever commented, that is something I would say...forget about it...from now on.

With 9 rooms, i can see how this could get pricey and I understand that completely. I take chocolates over beverages any day:) WIth my 3 rooms, it was not a problem and something I enjoyed providing to guests. Welcome cards...hmmm...with just my name on it??? And no little welcome message? If no one has ever commented, that is something I would say...forget about it...from now on.
catlady said:
Welcome cards...hmmm...with just my name on it??? And no little welcome message? If no one has ever commented, that is something I would say...forget about it...from now on.
It's a pre-printed tent card. The front says:
Welcome to the XXX Inn.
We hope you have a pleasant stay with us. Please let us know if we can help you in any way.
Then the back has our logo and pencil sketch of the house, and the history of our house and area printed on it.
I hand write "Dear Sue & Jim" above the text on the front of the card, then sign our first names at the bottom.
Personally I think it is a warm touch, but honestly no one has ever mentioned it. So I don't think it would be missed. Hard to tell...

catlady said:
Welcome cards...hmmm...with just my name on it??? And no little welcome message? If no one has ever commented, that is something I would say...forget about it...from now on.
It's a pre-printed tent card. The front says:
Welcome to the XXX Inn.
We hope you have a pleasant stay with us. Please let us know if we can help you in any way.
Then the back has our logo and pencil sketch of the house, and the history of our house and area printed on it.
I hand write "Dear Sue & Jim" above the text on the front of the card, then sign our first names at the bottom.
Personally I think it is a warm touch, but honestly no one has ever mentioned it. So I don't think it would be missed. Hard to tell...
Card sounds nice...but pre printed text :-( I don't think I would put any more time into doing this.

InnsiderInfo said:
Whew! I'm glad I'm not alone on this one.
Before you run out of your welcome cards, have you ever done anything with Vista Print? You can get most things FREE with them and just pay for shipping and sometimes uploading your image you want to use. I would do one of their postcards (usually 250 free) and put your picture or logo or design it however you want, and leave a space to write in their names. You can use those for your welcome cards with your chocolates for basically free. I like your personalized welcome card concept. I do a lot of personalized things for our guests and even though you don't hear them say specifically that they appreciate it, it all adds up to a personalized experience and attention to detail for them.

InnsiderInfo said:
Before you run out of your welcome cards, have you ever done anything with Vista Print? You can get most things FREE with them and just pay for shipping and sometimes uploading your image you want to use. I would do one of their postcards (usually 250 free) and put your picture or logo or design it however you want, and leave a space to write in their names. You can use those for your welcome cards with your chocolates for basically free. I like your personalized welcome card concept. I do a lot of personalized things for our guests and even though you don't hear them say specifically that they appreciate it, it all adds up to a personalized experience and attention to detail for them.
I have Hallmark Card Maker software and so can print my own custom cards...everything is personalized, even to the "40th Anniversary" or "30th Birthday"...nothing is handwritten and I can print them off one at a time as I need them.

InnsiderInfo said:
Breakfast Diva said:
...even though you don't hear them say specifically that they appreciate it, it all adds up to a personalized experience and attention to detail for them.
After my last post I thought of course the minute I don't get new cards, a previous guest will come back and say "Oh, you're not doing the welcome cards any more?". You know it will happen!
I'm torn, just did the math and the cards are $.10/each. And we probably go through about 2000 in a year, so $200. Not huge but not insignificant either. I don't think I"m explaining them very well, they are pre-printed but they look very nice, they are on a heavy card stock and printed in our signature hunter green for the text and the sketch of the house. Personally I would think it was a nice touch, so maybe that's my answer. I could probably get something less expensive, but I like supporting our local print shop with these.

You can buy little tent placecards at dollar tree like 50 x $1.00 if you just wanted to place it next to the chocolates on the bed or pillow. Just to handwrite their names and welcome, not anything more.
Most of the time I don't have both names, or last names are different, so it doesn't always work out easy on the cards bit for me.
For 4+ years I wrote guests names on the chalkboard and state(s). I wearied of doing it, that is the only reason, and guests would take photos beside it all the time, they really loved it. Again, with so many single night stays...it wore me out!!
I have a saying or two I put up there now and leave it. I am about to put some quote about Fall...
Autumn is a second spring when every leaf is a flower. ~Albert Camus
The foliage has been losing its freshness through the month of August, and here and there a yellow leaf shows itself like the first gray hair amidst the locks of a beauty who has seen one season too many. ~Oliver Wendell Holmes

Delicious autumn! My very soul is wedded to it, and if I were a bird I would fly about the earth seeking the successive autumns. ~George Eliot
No spring nor summer beauty hath such grace
As I have seen in one autumnal face.
~John Donne
October's poplars are flaming torches lighting the way to winter. ~Nova Bair

October gave a party;
The leaves by hundreds came -
The Chestnuts, Oaks, and Maples,
And leaves of every name.
The Sunshine spread a carpet,
And everything was grand,
Miss Weather led the dancing,
Professor Wind the band.
~George Cooper, "October's Party"
falling leaves
hide the path
so quietly
~John Bailey, "Autumn,"
Winter is an etching, spring a watercolor, summer an oil painting and autumn a mosaic of them all. ~Stanley Horowitz
Everyone must take time to sit and watch the leaves turn. ~Elizabeth Lawrence

You can buy little tent placecards at dollar tree like 50 x $1.00 if you just wanted to place it next to the chocolates on the bed or pillow. Just to handwrite their names and welcome, not anything more.
Most of the time I don't have both names, or last names are different, so it doesn't always work out easy on the cards bit for me.
For 4+ years I wrote guests names on the chalkboard and state(s). I wearied of doing it, that is the only reason, and guests would take photos beside it all the time, they really loved it. Again, with so many single night stays...it wore me out!!
I have a saying or two I put up there now and leave it. I am about to put some quote about Fall...
Autumn is a second spring when every leaf is a flower. ~Albert Camus
The foliage has been losing its freshness through the month of August, and here and there a yellow leaf shows itself like the first gray hair amidst the locks of a beauty who has seen one season too many. ~Oliver Wendell Holmes

Delicious autumn! My very soul is wedded to it, and if I were a bird I would fly about the earth seeking the successive autumns. ~George Eliot
No spring nor summer beauty hath such grace
As I have seen in one autumnal face.
~John Donne
October's poplars are flaming torches lighting the way to winter. ~Nova Bair

October gave a party;
The leaves by hundreds came -
The Chestnuts, Oaks, and Maples,
And leaves of every name.
The Sunshine spread a carpet,
And everything was grand,
Miss Weather led the dancing,
Professor Wind the band.
~George Cooper, "October's Party"
falling leaves
hide the path
so quietly
~John Bailey, "Autumn,"
Winter is an etching, spring a watercolor, summer an oil painting and autumn a mosaic of them all. ~Stanley Horowitz
Everyone must take time to sit and watch the leaves turn. ~Elizabeth Lawrence.
It sounds like a lot of work but putting the names on the board sounds very cool! I'm sure people went gaga over that. Love the autumn quotes too! Finally getting a hint of some cooler temps here and we are loving it.

Back