complimentary soda and bottled water??

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I still offer a diet and a cola. No longer offer bottled water. We are as green as possible and bottled water doesn't fit into it. Not many people use much soda.

I have a fruit basket woth apples, bananas, and packages of crackers/cookies on the dressers. There are plastic individually wrapped glasses in the bathrroms (I do not use glass because I do not want broken glass in someone's foot) if they want water. My city offers excellent water.

The reason I ask the previous owner offered soda but charged 50cents a piece with an 'honor' system. It seems the standard is to have some complimentary beverage available.

We offered bottled water and a whole variety of soda pop, fruit juices and small bottles of sparkling cider. All free. Only had one couple in 6 years who took advantage of everything in sight!!!

You gotta do a poll! otherwise you get t h e s e l e n g t h y responses...
We have so many different sodas available and they are rarely consumed, but those who enjoy them love the fact they are there at no charge. I have a variety - coke zero (as the diet), coke, sierra mist, dr pepper, rootbeer, jones pure cane sodas, so something is always diet, reg, no cola, non caffeinated, etc.
We have a big water cooler with chilled distilled water - from our state. Like right now, guests walk in from driving all day - and who have to limit their fluid intake for that reason, and wander up and chug-a-lug a few glasses worth. They are also welcome to refill one of the many water bottles they have in their vehicles (for the road, or for hiking, biking etc)
We have also available - packets of decaf (one cup tea bag size), hot cider, hot cocoa and sometimes some of the instant flavored cappuccino type stuff, tea decaf, reg, herbal.
We also have wine glasses and openers and ice available.
Warm days like today I make a pitcher of iced tea and put out for guests check in. (unsweetened and they can add their own sugar or usgar substitute)
Ice tea is cheaper than sodas, and those who like tea DRINK TEA! But those who like soda drink soda. It is a very inexpensive added amenity for our guests.
We also provide some salty snacks - like nuts, sun chips, etc in indiv bags - these go off before they are ever all eaten.

I used to offer both....five varieties of soda and water. I ditched the soda, as hardly anyone drank it, and now I just offer bottled water, which about half the people take advantage of. I have been thinking about getting one of those water coolers tho, and getting rid of the individual bottles.
Also always have out 20 or so varieties of hot tea, regular and sugar free hot chocolate, regular and sugar free apple cider packets with hot water kept filled day and night. We also serve dessert each and every evening. No other snacks.

Only bottled water. No soda or soft drinks. I do give complimentary wine, however.
We have a convenience store at the end of the street that our guests frequent for anything else they might want.

We offer hot tea, hot cocoa and ice tea packets and hot and cold water in a cooler...
We did offer sodas and bottled water when we first opened, but got too many nitpicky requests for certain brands....and changed to the dispenser for environmental reasons...

sodas in the guest fridge, bottled h2o in guestrooms, spring h2o dispenser in dining room, espresso machine on the dining room buffet, also teas, cocoas, ice,

No bottled water for us, too much waste (you should see our recycling container every week!), we have a cooler that dispenses hot and cold water (this was about $200 at Lowe's). Hot water available 24 hours a day for Bigelow teas and we have coffee bags and instant crystals (regular and decaf for both). We also keep wine glasses and openers out in the dining room.

No bottled water for us, too much waste (you should see our recycling container every week!), we have a cooler that dispenses hot and cold water (this was about $200 at Lowe's). Hot water available 24 hours a day for Bigelow teas and we have coffee bags and instant crystals (regular and decaf for both). We also keep wine glasses and openers out in the dining room..
Is your cooler the only hot water you have available? Does it work well?

No bottled water for us, too much waste (you should see our recycling container every week!), we have a cooler that dispenses hot and cold water (this was about $200 at Lowe's). Hot water available 24 hours a day for Bigelow teas and we have coffee bags and instant crystals (regular and decaf for both). We also keep wine glasses and openers out in the dining room..
Is your cooler the only hot water you have available? Does it work well?
No, we also keep an airpot filled with hot water on the table where we keep tea/coffee. We refresh this twice throughout the day, but even after the hot water has sat all night it's still hot enough for a cup of tea when we pull it back in to refill at 6 am.
The hot water that comes out of the cooler is HOT, as hot as what comes out of the coffee maker when we first put it through. I think the model is Sunbeam. We've been really happy with it.

Self serve tea, coffee, soft drinks, iced tea, bubble water, etc.. and yes the dreaded bottled water. Two small bottles in each room per day.
Some don't touch them and bring their own sports bottle that they fill here, and others use them every day no matter how much praise and confidence we heap on our very pristine, delicious well water.
Personally, I'm hooked and when traveling am amazed at the dreck passing as "clean" city water these days.
The sodas seem to be consumed very unevenly and the day we stopped or ran out of Diet Coke is the day we'd get one of those six a dayers.
We've looked into refillable sports bottles that could be sanitized and might give them a try here to reconcile the internal ecological contradiction, but in our region and elevation, high intake of fluids is the call of the day or guests don't feel right.
We're not in the Himilayas, but up at 7,000' adequate hydration is an issue even for us living here. We've seen it ruin a few trips for flatlanders who ignored the power water drinking advice.
As badly as we wish our more mainstream or eco-hostile guests would consider drinking from a refillable, reusable bottle, we're careful not to try to force our philosophy on them. Its damn hard enough to get them to turn off excess lights and the A/C when leaving the property for any length of time.
We'd love to make our occupancy goals with just tree hugger types, but that just isn't gonna happen. You open the doors, you get what walks through them.

Back