Computer DOA

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hey K! I hate to say but there are lots of bugs and issues with the Kindle fire, if you still can, return it ... and just go with the Kindle 3G. Otherwise I have to say Amazon have been great at replacing mine .. I am on my 3rd ....
I bought it at an office supply store so am probbaly just cross my fingers. So far my only gripe with it is finding a WiFi network in the places I am stuck in - as in the polls yesterday, Chapel last night, etc. There were networks but password protected. I wish it had a way to use one of those thingys I have seen plugged into laptop to give it a network when there is none. It looks like a little pigtail usb.
My City Manager had the same problem with her laptop but with a twist. The police dept wifi had great signal on the street in front of the building she was working polls in BUT the signal did not go inside. She was able to get their password since she is the Boss, but through the walls, it did not go.
K, I think what you're seeing plugged into a laptop is an air "card". You buy the service through a mobile phone carrier, so it's not dependent on a WiFi network a it goes through a cell phone network.
Probably is what it is. It looks like a doohickey on the end of a usb plug. I wish the Fire had that capability so I could go to the phone store and get it (which is where I knew I had to go to get it BTW). There is no usb port. 13 hours I could have spent at least 11 of voting on Readers Digest. Another city jumped us because 3 of us were at the polls and none of us could get wifi.
The air service is not cheap though! This is why I'm looking at tablets...they have a lot more versatility than most of the e-readers.

hey K! I hate to say but there are lots of bugs and issues with the Kindle fire, if you still can, return it ... and just go with the Kindle 3G. Otherwise I have to say Amazon have been great at replacing mine .. I am on my 3rd ....
I bought it at an office supply store so am probbaly just cross my fingers. So far my only gripe with it is finding a WiFi network in the places I am stuck in - as in the polls yesterday, Chapel last night, etc. There were networks but password protected. I wish it had a way to use one of those thingys I have seen plugged into laptop to give it a network when there is none. It looks like a little pigtail usb.
My City Manager had the same problem with her laptop but with a twist. The police dept wifi had great signal on the street in front of the building she was working polls in BUT the signal did not go inside. She was able to get their password since she is the Boss, but through the walls, it did not go.
K, I think what you're seeing plugged into a laptop is an air "card". You buy the service through a mobile phone carrier, so it's not dependent on a WiFi network a it goes through a cell phone network.
Probably is what it is. It looks like a doohickey on the end of a usb plug. I wish the Fire had that capability so I could go to the phone store and get it (which is where I knew I had to go to get it BTW). There is no usb port. 13 hours I could have spent at least 11 of voting on Readers Digest. Another city jumped us because 3 of us were at the polls and none of us could get wifi.
The air service is not cheap though! This is why I'm looking at tablets...they have a lot more versatility than most of the e-readers.
I just bought the Samsung Galaxy 10.1 Tablet with 32 G. I just got wifi because I am not paying or adding any more on to our bill. It is high enough now :) I love it! Having so much fun finding cool apps. I am not even getting used to using the keyboard. Forget the swipe method...I slowed it down but still not accurate enough.

I just bought the Samsung Galaxy 10.1 Tablet with 32 G. I just got wifi because I am not paying or adding any more on to our bill. It is high enough now :) I love it! Having so much fun finding cool apps. I am not even getting used to using the keyboard. Forget the swipe method...I slowed it down but still not accurate enough.
I've looked at the Asus Transformer Prime, 32G, and the latest processor for increased speed. They were back ordered at the holidays and I haven't looked lately. I'm used to Swype with my phone, so not a problem. This will be a shared tablet with my dh, but he's not used to the Android OS & apps since he has a Blackberry, but I'm going to try to teach him.
regular_smile.gif
Have to wait to save up a little more dinero though....

ALWAYS backup. You can get a relatively inexpensive external backup drive that just plugs into a USB port. I'm on a Mac and it backups up automatically several times a day.

ALWAYS backup. You can get a relatively inexpensive external backup drive that just plugs into a USB port. I'm on a Mac and it backups up automatically several times a day..
I have an external drive that has a lot of my stuff but when it started making noises, I transfered my important files back to the C-drive and got Carbonite. So far have not tested it unless they used carbonite to reinstall the files off the old computer but I think it was a drive to drive copy. Two crashes convinced me. (One would think 25 years in a computer room would have taught me but it didn't. Knowing what one should do and doing it are two different things.))

ALWAYS backup. You can get a relatively inexpensive external backup drive that just plugs into a USB port. I'm on a Mac and it backups up automatically several times a day..
Proud Texan said:
ALWAYS backup. You can get a relatively inexpensive external backup drive that just plugs into a USB port. I'm on a Mac and it backups up automatically several times a day.
I used to use an external backup drive, but we're in tornado alley (its width is currently from Miami, Fla. to Arizona, I think) and also worry about a fire. With online backup, your stuff is safe even if your house is not.

Back