Computer DOA

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gillumhouse

Reaction score
VENT!!
Yesterday we went to Morgantown & I used my Christmas money to buy a Kindle Fire. YEA!! However, came home to a dead computer and dead Internet - cannot even USE the Kindle because no WiFi!
My student told us that a line was cut in Clarksburg so her physcian's office did not have Internet all day (and they are in the town north of me - C'burg is south). Internet came back about 10 PM but computer did not.
Learning to use the Kindle - as need to learn how to get the keyboard so I can post here in the post section which is why I did not whine this last night.
And to top it off - BOZO wanted biscuits to go with the soup I made last night. The 2 loaves of his favorite rye bread that I bought him were not enough! Do not know which is the bigger vent need.

Discovering a dead computer is one of life's lowest moments. We have so much stored on the things, and we depend on it. Luckily, a trip to the computer store often gets things back up running without much cost or data loss.
Unfortunately, sometimes it's a bad hard disk and if you don't have a recent backup you've lost a lot. I've used online backup ever since I got my first high-speed connection and it has saved me several times! If I had to do manual backups it wouldn't get done often, but with the online, it's done automatically every day.
Enjoy your Fire. I love my regular Kindle.

Good luck using the kindle to post on the forum.OOPS...I misread...you did get a FIRE... I am using my Kindle but not nearly as much. I just bought a Samsung Galaxy Tablet 10.1 and I LOVE it. I can read the forum great but as far as typing goes. I can do it..but I am not a 2 finger typist :-( Hubby even likes the tablet..I am trying to get him hooked to being on line. He could sit for hours in his nice cushy leather recliner and look at car photos!!! He's hooked!

Good luck using the kindle to post on the forum.OOPS...I misread...you did get a FIRE... I am using my Kindle but not nearly as much. I just bought a Samsung Galaxy Tablet 10.1 and I LOVE it. I can read the forum great but as far as typing goes. I can do it..but I am not a 2 finger typist :-( Hubby even likes the tablet..I am trying to get him hooked to being on line. He could sit for hours in his nice cushy leather recliner and look at car photos!!! He's hooked!.
catlady said:
Good luck using the kindle to post on the forum.OOPS...I misread...you did get a FIRE... I am using my Kindle but not nearly as much. I just bought a Samsung Galaxy Tablet 10.1 and I LOVE it. I can read the forum great but as far as typing goes. I can do it..but I am not a 2 finger typist :-( Hubby even likes the tablet..I am trying to get him hooked to being on line. He could sit for hours in his nice cushy leather recliner and look at car photos!!! He's hooked!
Install the swype keyboard and things will be much easier. It takes a bit of time to get used to swyping a word, but once you get used to it, it speeds things up a heck of a lot

Good luck using the kindle to post on the forum.OOPS...I misread...you did get a FIRE... I am using my Kindle but not nearly as much. I just bought a Samsung Galaxy Tablet 10.1 and I LOVE it. I can read the forum great but as far as typing goes. I can do it..but I am not a 2 finger typist :-( Hubby even likes the tablet..I am trying to get him hooked to being on line. He could sit for hours in his nice cushy leather recliner and look at car photos!!! He's hooked!.
catlady said:
Install the swype keyboard and things will be much easier. It takes a bit of time to get used to swyping a word, but once you get used to it, it speeds things up a heck of a lot
I saw that option wasn't sure what it was. Guess I will give it a try. Otherwise I love it!

catlady said:
I saw that option wasn't sure what it was. Guess I will give it a try. Otherwise I love it!
catlady said:
Basically, you set language and then when you want to write a word you swype from letter to letter never pulling your finger up until the next word. The system will usually be able to tell what word you are writing. A lot quicker than trying to go letter to letter. You can skip the apostrophe for things like don't and won't and it will figure them out. You get used to it.

My dh's desktop computer died and we can NOT share a computer. He's already driving me cRaZy asking to use my laptop. I looked at tablets to buy him one for Christmas but the one that I liked was going to take 6 wks to ship. Tablets are a bit more powerful and versatile than most of the e-readers, so I'm willing to spend the extra dinero. I'm biding my time now waiting for the price to drop....

catlady said:
I use Swype on my smartphone...I really like it. Check it out and let us know what you think.

catlady said:
I use Swype on my smartphone...I really like it. Check it out and let us know what you think.
I was skeptical, but I'm really liking Siri, the voice recognition software on my iPhone. For text messages and entering calendar entries I just put it up to my ear like a phone call and speak the message. Within seconds Siri converts it to text with amazing accuracy.
It (she) understands my Arkansas accent, and is more accurate when I just speak normally (vs. speaking slowly and distinctly). It makes fewer typos than I do when I type it with my fingers! It may well be the text input method of the future.

catlady said:
I was skeptical, but I'm really liking Siri, the voice recognition software on my iPhone. For text messages and entering calendar entries I just put it up to my ear like a phone call and speak the message. Within seconds Siri converts it to text with amazing accuracy.
It (she) understands my Arkansas accent, and is more accurate when I just speak normally (vs. speaking slowly and distinctly). It makes fewer typos than I do when I type it with my fingers! It may well be the text input method of the future.
any way that is on the tablet? I am finding that slowing it down has as helped a bit.this is going to take somepractice:)

Update: Because I was not able to vote, my city lost ground with the Readers Digest voting so I am usng an extra at City Hall right now. I was able to bring up the Forum on my Fire, enter the topic and category, but had/have no idea how toget the keyboard to show to post a comment.
Our Finance Officer contacted one of our city workers who knows computers and he came over last night after work. He said it was the power supply. He jiggled a wire and it came up but shut down after about 2 minutes - thermal check is what I call it. I had been smelling something hot for a couple days and could not figure out what it was. He is coming back tonight after work to install the $25 power supply.
Just wanted to update. Voting required!!!!
Oh, DH is still among the living.

Glad DH is still kickin'. I had a new power supply put in my computer last week. $51. I like West Virginia prices better!

Glad DH is still kickin'. I had a new power supply put in my computer last week. $51. I like West Virginia prices better!.
$25 + tax was the cost of the power supply. I gave the guy from the City $25 for finding the problem and installing the power supply. Question - did I pay him enough? He is a really nice kid and I do not want to cheat anyone - especially someone I hope to not need, but probably will, in the future.
BTW - after living thru the hell of crashes twice (slow learner), I now have an auto-backup. I use Carbonite and it backs up every time I update something. They actually sent me e-mails while I was in Europe telling me I had not backed anything up for 3 weeks, etc and warning me of the danger. (I powered down while we were gone.)

I paid $51 for power supply plus installation so sounds like you're right on track.
I use Mozy back up and they also send the e-mails if the backups aren't going through. Wonderful technology. Much better than me making backups myself and keeping the backup data here with me, where a fire or tornado could wipe out both my computer and its backup. These online backup companies keep mirror copies of the data (heavily encrypted) in lots of cities and countries so even a huge natural disaster will most likely not cause you to lose data.

hey K! I hate to say but there are lots of bugs and issues with the Kindle fire, if you still can, return it ... and just go with the Kindle 3G. Otherwise I have to say Amazon have been great at replacing mine .. I am on my 3rd ...

hey K! I hate to say but there are lots of bugs and issues with the Kindle fire, if you still can, return it ... and just go with the Kindle 3G. Otherwise I have to say Amazon have been great at replacing mine .. I am on my 3rd ....
I bought it at an office supply store so am probbaly just cross my fingers. So far my only gripe with it is finding a WiFi network in the places I am stuck in - as in the polls yesterday, Chapel last night, etc. There were networks but password protected. I wish it had a way to use one of those thingys I have seen plugged into laptop to give it a network when there is none. It looks like a little pigtail usb.
My City Manager had the same problem with her laptop but with a twist. The police dept wifi had great signal on the street in front of the building she was working polls in BUT the signal did not go inside. She was able to get their password since she is the Boss, but through the walls, it did not go.

hey K! I hate to say but there are lots of bugs and issues with the Kindle fire, if you still can, return it ... and just go with the Kindle 3G. Otherwise I have to say Amazon have been great at replacing mine .. I am on my 3rd ....
I bought it at an office supply store so am probbaly just cross my fingers. So far my only gripe with it is finding a WiFi network in the places I am stuck in - as in the polls yesterday, Chapel last night, etc. There were networks but password protected. I wish it had a way to use one of those thingys I have seen plugged into laptop to give it a network when there is none. It looks like a little pigtail usb.
My City Manager had the same problem with her laptop but with a twist. The police dept wifi had great signal on the street in front of the building she was working polls in BUT the signal did not go inside. She was able to get their password since she is the Boss, but through the walls, it did not go.
K, I think what you're seeing plugged into a laptop is an air "card". You buy the service through a mobile phone carrier, so it's not dependent on a WiFi network a it goes through a cell phone network.

K, I think what you're seeing plugged into a laptop is an air "card". You buy the service through a mobile phone carrier, so it's not dependent on a WiFi network a it goes through a cell phone network.
Probably is what it is. It looks like a doohickey on the end of a usb plug. I wish the Fire had that capability so I could go to the phone store and get it (which is where I knew I had to go to get it BTW). There is no usb port. 13 hours I could have spent at least 11 of voting on Readers Digest. Another city jumped us because 3 of us were at the polls and none of us could get wifi.

Back