Computer

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sandynn

Reaction score
I guess we need a new computer. That is what our kids tell us anyway. We have a dell that is 9 years old and still works pretty good. We have not had very much trouble with it all these years. I am wondering what kind of computer you would get and why.
I have one child that is Dell person and two that are Apple people.
Not sure I want an Apple but I would love one without a tower.

Unless you are dramatically unhappy with what you've had, I'd get whatever you are used to and whatever you already own software for.

i agree with SWIRT... as much as the Apple is a great machine. If you don't know how to use one...it will be the worst thing you could do. They are very different than a Dell!!!! Stick with what you know and what you are used to in the way of software. I don't know what your guest managment software is..but I am guessing it is not Mac Compatible unless you are doing it all on line,.

Mac users love their machines. They're very intuitive systems. But if you're used to PC Windows based systems, it might be hard to change. You don't necessarily have to buy a Dell (brand name) but something that is a PC vs. Mac.

sandynn said:
I guess we need a new computer. That is what our kids tell us anyway. We have a dell that is 9 years old and still works pretty good. We have not had very much trouble with it all these years. I am wondering what kind of computer you would get and why.
I have one child that is Dell person and two that are Apple people.
Not sure I want an Apple but I would love one without a tower.
Our 10 yo Dell just got replaced. Hubs got the Compaq that was on sale at Staples. So far so good, but bear in mind that the steel case of the new one is going to feel very flimsy to you.
You could get a laptop, no tower with that!

Oh, my dh got a desktop computer that doesn't have a tower...it's all in the monitor. Really saves space. Of course, he has 2 desktops because he's a geek.
Says he doesn't like a laptop because he has to have the full sized keyboard....

Dell has one without a tower..see here Don't know anything about it..but it sure looks cool..
That might just do the trick. Of course I as you know I have to think about everything for quite a while.
I really don't want a tower. We have came a long way with computers. My daughter thinks we should get a large lap top. This is so we can just bring it to her when we need something. I don't like the key board on lap tops so I would have to have a real key board too.

Dell has one without a tower..see here Don't know anything about it..but it sure looks cool..
That might just do the trick. Of course I as you know I have to think about everything for quite a while.
I really don't want a tower. We have came a long way with computers. My daughter thinks we should get a large lap top. This is so we can just bring it to her when we need something. I don't like the key board on lap tops so I would have to have a real key board too.
Easy enough to get a keyboard and plug it into the laptop if you really can't get along without one. You could also use an external monitor and mouse as well, as you already have these things and the monitor you have may be larger than what you would get with the laptop.

I have a MacBook Pro. It's a nice machine but will cost you more than it's worth. I paid just under $2000 for mine. Technical support after 30 days will cost a couple hundred. Whatever you do, DON'T SPILL ANYTHING ON IT! The slightest drop of water or other liquid will fry the whole darn thing. When I buy my next computer I don't think it'll be a Mac... it's just too expensive and for what I paid for this you can get a really nice PC. I think Dell has pretty good policies, including if you spill something on it.

I know Macs are cool but the majority of the software is for PC and more of the rest of the world uses PC and I don't like the headaches of having to have everything adjusted so the Mac can read it.
We have had Dell for the last three computers with no problems, but I have recently been going to Best Buy since they are in town and I can just drive over there for service. They seem to have great warrantees. We have had cameras replaced no question asked.
Riki

Back