#$%^&* Computers! I think it is terminal!

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gillumhouse

Reaction score
Just as things were going nicely (other than having to help DH with a project this morning - yes, he is still alive!), I go to check e-mail and start the day only to find a screen with the message - rd slave error hard drive error at the bottom of a lot of computer tech stuff. I called the computer doctor and they came an took my baby away. Am considering - since it is screwed up anyway, having them give me Windows 7.
Having to go to the Library to use a computer sucks unless it is the Library in my house!
Any thoughts on Windows 7? I heard enough to know I did NOT want Vista. Anyone use Windows 7 yet?

Sorry but I have not had any problems in the 3 years I have had VISTA. I don't know what the concern is. Haven't heard a thing about 7.

My wife needed a new computer, so we gave 7 a try. We have also been demoing it here in the office for about six months now thanks to our MS certification.
My impression is that it is pretty darn stable, has some cool features, and is intuitive to use if you are used to XP. We have no plans to change all the machines at the office, but if I bought a new machine, I'd go with it. I'm sticking to XP on the 4yr old Dell laptop I am typing on right now...
I did have one issue - I also had to buy a new printer. Got a Canon all-in-one, and the drivers on the CD didn't work with 7, even though they said they did... Had to get new ones from the Canon website. Then the Canon website links didn't work in Google Chrome... Which comes installed on the machine. Bit of a headache, but in the end it all got setup nicely.
GT is certified on 7 as well. Seems to run perfectly now for the past six months - which is nice!

My wife needed a new computer, so we gave 7 a try. We have also been demoing it here in the office for about six months now thanks to our MS certification.
My impression is that it is pretty darn stable, has some cool features, and is intuitive to use if you are used to XP. We have no plans to change all the machines at the office, but if I bought a new machine, I'd go with it. I'm sticking to XP on the 4yr old Dell laptop I am typing on right now...
I did have one issue - I also had to buy a new printer. Got a Canon all-in-one, and the drivers on the CD didn't work with 7, even though they said they did... Had to get new ones from the Canon website. Then the Canon website links didn't work in Google Chrome... Which comes installed on the machine. Bit of a headache, but in the end it all got setup nicely.
GT is certified on 7 as well. Seems to run perfectly now for the past six months - which is nice!.
Thanks, John. I was hoping to get some hands-on feedback. I have an HP all-in-one so I hope it works with 7 (just got it in Feb). Since the darn thing is down already, thought it might be a good time to upgrade. XP is what I have currently.

i am so sorry you are having challenges with your computer. i know nothing of the technicalities of computers, but maybe you have outgrown your computer? memory wise etc.?
i heard all the horror stories about vista but my new laptop computer came with it and i have had no problem with it. NONE. i find it similar to xp that runs on my desktop. i mean, i work between the two and just don't find any apparent difference. whatever difference there is, i don't notice it. i have used it for over a year now and love it. just hums along.
is there any chance you have a friend or computer guru that will let you sit down and cruise with vista to see if you find it's a problem? the only thing i guess might be that other software you use needs upgrading when you upgrade your operating system.

I bought a new laptop that came with Vista and it was fine. I don't use it much since I haven't migrated all my info over to it. I'm still using XP on this machine. I can upgrade to 7 on the new machine but haven't taken care of that either. This laptop would run better I think if I ran the decrapifier on it and added some more memory.

I know folks complain about Vista but I don't have problems with it myself. Of course, 7 is supposed to be all better but this doesn't sound good..
Thanks for the info. I do not use any of the programs listed as problematical and the computer doctor would be the one installing it so that should not be an anti.
What I have heard about Vista was the incompatibility of devices being vocalized the most. Even this article said Vista was not universally loved. Still thinking about it. The BIG question is how long will they support XP?
Still going to the Library twice a day. Glad it is only a block from the house!

I was told by a computer pro that Vista has less problems with viruses than other applications. I have it and haven't had any problems that way.

I know folks complain about Vista but I don't have problems with it myself. Of course, 7 is supposed to be all better but this doesn't sound good..
Thanks for the info. I do not use any of the programs listed as problematical and the computer doctor would be the one installing it so that should not be an anti.
What I have heard about Vista was the incompatibility of devices being vocalized the most. Even this article said Vista was not universally loved. Still thinking about it. The BIG question is how long will they support XP?
Still going to the Library twice a day. Glad it is only a block from the house!
If you have some very old devices perhaps it may not be compatible..but anything fairly new..you can always download the newest drivers. I did that for my HP printer and all was fine. ANything I have every connected to this VISTA machine it found and took just fine. I have no complaints about VISTA whatsoever. But if you are going to have to get a new system anyway, I would just go with the latest and not worry about looking backwards. That is, if your system is new enough and large enough to handle the latest.
Here's a link to read. with some review info.

Back