Concealed Handgun Laws

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
PT, that person would be on my DNB list. How dare he!
Well ya know I had posted another topic regarding the same issue. In my state you can do the same (did not see a law on posting size) but as you said this does also scare off OTHER guests.
I am not as rural as you are PT, but obviously packing is becoming more common these days. Given where this last couple was going, I know why they left their gun behind but doing so and NOT informing me (when they knew I was going to clean) was WRONG in my opinion, especially right on the night stand. They could have placed it in a drawer or on the top shelf of the closet and I would have been none the wiser.
We have tossed the idea about putting it in our confirmation but that may have people panic. Just having it posted on the property may have someone with a gun show and then what do they do with it while they stay?

We keep a vacation guide in each bedside drawer. When I went to replace a guide left on the floor (during a fluff) I wisked open the drawer and to my dismay came face to face with a revolver left in there. Guests had gone out for the day. Scared me because it was the last thing I expected. I closed the drawer with great care. Have been wondering if I should address the guest about it as they have a reservation to come back in the fall. I am going to see what the state laws regarding concealed weapons are in this state. Thanks for bringing the topic to the forum.

Duplicate entry. Swirt what happened? I only hit save once..
Good question. All the duplicate posts spanned several minutes worth of time. Usually duplicate posts all end up with the same time stamp. The server should kill any process that lasts beyond 45 seconds so it makes me think that it must be happening on your computer rather than the server. .... though it is interesting to note that Joey Bloggs had something similar happen today too.
I'll have to go digging through the logs to see if there is anything else I can see that may have gone "sproing".

08/16/11 Update:
This last weekend, both sets of guests arrived carrying concealed handguns. One guest overheard me talking about what a nuisance armadillos have become and that I had only the day before "dispatched" one. The following morning, he spotted a second armadillo near the guest cottages and took it upon himself to "do me a favor" with his 9mm Glock.
For him to even reveal his "concealed" weapon on private property without my permission is concidered a Class A misdemeanor, but for him to discharge and kill an animal on private property....I could have called the sheriff. No harm done, except to the poor armadillo. So, we let it go since they were leaving that morning anyway.
After everyone left, DW and I had a very long talk about this situation and made the decision to find out what our legal options and liabilities were.
On Monday, I spoke with both my insurance agent AND the local sheriff's department about this issue. From a insurance liability standpoint, we would be free and clear in case of a mishap. As a licensed concealed handgun carrier, it would all be on them. The sheriff's department agreed.
As far as Texas law is concerned, I can, as business, prohibit firearms from entering my premises. However, to do so I must have a large white sign with black 1" letters stating the code for such a prohibition in both English and in Spanish (this is Texas afterall). To do so, I fear, would virtually stop the flow of new guests. Personally, I think it's mass paranoia, but it's their right under the law.
However, according to the sherriff's office, as an owner of private property, which by the way a Bed and Breakfast/residence is, I have the right to make any damn rules I please concerning the handling of concealed guns on our property.
Though I hate hate hate to add another policy to the already encyclopedic list I have, I'm going to request that we be notified of any concealed weapons entering our property and that they not be seen at anytime during their visit. And, under no circumstances, may a weapon be discharged while on our property. I will have to come up with some polite verbage, but enough is enough.
WE WILL HAVE RULES.
smiley-char092.gif
did this person have absolutely no common sense at all? you don't fire gun on other people's property without their permission and I am certain if you wish to have an armadolo dipatched you are more than capable of handling whatever needs doing. Could have hit someone if they had missed and all sorts! If there were other guests and they heard random gun shots and came out? etc People complain we have all these rules its people like this that make us have them! Ive said it before if a gun is in a room it should be secured in some way ie locked in a suitcase minimum not just lying about loaded or otherwise its just dangerous.

Back