Concealed Handgun Laws

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Proud Texan

Reaction score
What are the laws of your state and your personal practices concerning an guest carrying a concealed handgun into your inn or B&B?
We had a guests stay with us over the holiday and as we were entering their room for the daily fluff, were told not to freak out that their was a handgun on the bedside table. This guest was, as we discovered, a law officer. They had badge and permit for the gun, but it got me wondering if there was a law concerning this. We get peace officers all the time and some I'm sure are packing heat.
I looked up the Texas laws concerning handguns and it is only illegal to carry a handgun into a (1) liquor store (2) nursing home (3) hospital. Implied in the statutes was that licensed owners may enter a hotel/inn/b&b without notification of said handgun to the owner.
While I understand this, I would think it, at the very least, be a courtesy to inform the B&B owner that they were carrying a concealed weapon. B&Bs are for the most part our homes too. It's not really a safety issue if they are licensed because they have the proper training for handling a gun. But, accidents do happen.
Have any of you ever encountered this? How did you handle it?

I would think that if the B&B is also your home, you would have every right to a policy of "no firearms" in your home.....like guest pets and kids. In a seperate structure like you have? Unsure about that.
Probably another gray area in the law.

Have never come across that here. Sure Gomez knows the law about it. Think it TOTALLY irresponsible of said licensed and supposedly astute gun owner to leave a weapon, presumably loaded, where someone could get at it. (Meaning you or any housekeepng staff or other guests or random plumbers, electricians, whatever.) To hell with 'don't panic' how about someone walking off with the gun? How was police officer going to explain THAT one?
To me, that was a pissing contest with you. ie- I have a gun, how about you? I'm going to leave it lying around, what are you going to do about it? I'm a hotshot, gun carrying idiot, care to call me on it?
(Disclaimer- no problems here with gun ownership.)

Have never come across that here. Sure Gomez knows the law about it. Think it TOTALLY irresponsible of said licensed and supposedly astute gun owner to leave a weapon, presumably loaded, where someone could get at it. (Meaning you or any housekeepng staff or other guests or random plumbers, electricians, whatever.) To hell with 'don't panic' how about someone walking off with the gun? How was police officer going to explain THAT one?
To me, that was a pissing contest with you. ie- I have a gun, how about you? I'm going to leave it lying around, what are you going to do about it? I'm a hotshot, gun carrying idiot, care to call me on it?
(Disclaimer- no problems here with gun ownership.).
Morticia said:
To me, that was a pissing contest with you. ie- I have a gun, how about you?
We have private, lockable cottages with an expectation of privacy. So, I don't think that was what was happening here. I think they were surprised that we were going to do the fluff in the first place. The warning was just an explanation.

LB is correct, at least in my state. Here is a paraphrased statement of my state's law:
The provisions of _______ shall not limit the right of a property owner, lessee, or other lawful custodian to prohibit or restrict access of those persons possessing a concealed handgun pursuant to a permit issued under this Section. No individual to whom a concealed handgun permit is issued may carry such concealed handgun into the private residence of another without first receiving the consent of that person.
Now I wish I had known that several years ago when I found a handgun on the closet shelf. I was very suprised to find it. The owner of the gun brought it up that evening after he saw I had refreshed the room. He had forgotten to leave the gun at home and felt it was safer in the B&B than left in the car and they were going somewhere he could not (or did not feel comfortable) bring it with him. He was very apologetic.

Well, in general, if they are not breaking the law, I feel like it's none of my business.
I would feel funny about a firearm left on the bedside stand with no one, there, though. Did the gun have a lock on it, to prevent it from being discharged? I mean, I understand that the guests were in a cottage with an expectation of privacy, BUT, how can they expect the same level of security as their home? They don't know *you,* your housekeeping staff (if you don't have one, how would they know?), and what's to prevent that from being the day there's a break in?
I wouldn't have a problem with a law-abiding citizen having a firearm in one of our guest rooms, but your scenario gives me pause.

As I mentioned in my original post, my concern, especially in this instance was not one of safety. The gun was locked and holstered. It was not just laying out ready to be fired.
My concern is one of propriety in the introduction of a concealed weapon into a lodging accommodation that is also a home.

It is different here but I would have though it was common sense to lock it up in some way. Just in case say someone broke in and pinched it etc

When we were in Austin for the PAII conference last year, almost every bar/music place downtown had a big sign saying no concealed handguns allowed. I believe there is a specific law regarding the sign and its posting, but I'm sure if you contact your local police department or department of public safety that they could help you with the right information.

If licensed for concealed carry there is no problem in this house. I do believe in this instance, it should have been tucked away in the suitcase when they were not in the room - but if licensed to carry - should have been packing the heat.
My daughter feels very vulnerable when she has to fly because the heat stays home and she is accustomed to ALWAYS be carrying. Cops (at least in her dept) are expected to be "on-duty" meaning packing even if "off-duty" (unless going to a bar).
Guests have asked if it is OK to bring in a "toy" for show & tell and were disappointed that DH already knew about the lastest toy. But they had a good time talking about the toys in their toy boxes anyway.

The last thing a person with a concealed weapon should do is alert someone that they are carrying. Just my 2 cents.
The last thing a person with a concealed weapon should do is leave it on the nightstand. Again, my 2 cents.
The last thing I want to discuss on this forum is guns. :) But since the subject is on...anyone who knows about guns knows that A GUN IS ALWAYS LOADED.

I spoke with a conceal carry instructor I know - all states laws are different but, all states allow businesses to refuse firearms on the premisis. Licensed concealed carry people have all gone through back ground checks and some kind of weapon safety and handling training course/s. It's a shame you had to encounter a careless cowboy...

The last thing a person with a concealed weapon should do is alert someone that they are carrying. Just my 2 cents.
The last thing a person with a concealed weapon should do is leave it on the nightstand. Again, my 2 cents.
The last thing I want to discuss on this forum is guns. :) But since the subject is on...anyone who knows about guns knows that A GUN IS ALWAYS LOADED..
But since the subject is on...anyone who knows about guns knows that A GUN IS ALWAYS LOADED.
And most dangerous if handled by someone who does not know what they are doing. The LAST thing anyone should do if one is found is to touch it. LEAVE IT ALONE. raise hell with the owner if you wish, but DO NOT TOUCH. If left alone, in a room that is locked, it is harmless. The danger comes when it is handled by an idjit.

The last thing I want to discuss on this forum is guns. :) But since the subject is on...anyone who knows about guns knows that A GUN IS ALWAYS LOADED..
But since the subject is on...anyone who knows about guns knows that A GUN IS ALWAYS LOADED.
And most dangerous if handled by someone who does not know what they are doing. The LAST thing anyone should do if one is found is to touch it. LEAVE IT ALONE. raise hell with the owner if you wish, but DO NOT TOUCH. If left alone, in a room that is locked, it is harmless. The danger comes when it is handled by an idjit.
guests left for the day. DH and I went in to refresh. DH made the bed quickly A couple hours later the guest calls from the road...he asked if we had refreshed yet. Yes, we told him. "Oh, I didn't want you to freak out". Uhhhhh? nothing to freak out about. He then tells us that he left his gun under/between the pillows.
YIKES! DH never saw it. We don't panic over firearms here because we've lived in the country with all our neighbors who have guns, but really! To have FORGOT it under your pillow???? I don't know if it was locked or not.

guests left for the day. DH and I went in to refresh. DH made the bed quickly A couple hours later the guest calls from the road...he asked if we had refreshed yet. Yes, we told him. "Oh, I didn't want you to freak out". Uhhhhh? nothing to freak out about. He then tells us that he left his gun under/between the pillows.
YIKES! DH never saw it. We don't panic over firearms here because we've lived in the country with all our neighbors who have guns, but really! To have FORGOT it under your pillow???? I don't know if it was locked or not.
Breakfast Diva said:
You know, that's what concerns me. Sh*t happens. People are people and they get careless and WE may be the ones to suffer. Let me categorically state that I am NOT anti guns. I own guns. It the woods, they become necessary. However, I cannot control everything my guests do and I shouldn't. But when it comes to comprising the safety of me, DW or other guests, then perhaps we need to at a minimum stress the importance of firearm safety.
How does one do this without spooking potential guests?

Come to breakfast wearing a "flakjacket apron" they might get the hint.

Breakfast Diva said:
You know, that's what concerns me. Sh*t happens. People are people and they get careless and WE may be the ones to suffer. Let me categorically state that I am NOT anti guns. I own guns. It the woods, they become necessary. However, I cannot control everything my guests do and I shouldn't. But when it comes to comprising the safety of me, DW or other guests, then perhaps we need to at a minimum stress the importance of firearm safety.
How does one do this without spooking potential guests?
How does one do it without spooking potential guests? There is no way. It is just something we have to deal with when it happens. You are in a better position to be more up-front with it because of your location. You probably have less "freak-outs" about weapons than are found "Back East".
By the way, if you are packing, please take it with you when you leave....

08/16/11 Update:
This last weekend, both sets of guests arrived carrying concealed handguns. One guest overheard me talking about what a nuisance armadillos have become and that I had only the day before "dispatched" one. The following morning, he spotted a second armadillo near the guest cottages and took it upon himself to "do me a favor" with his 9mm Glock.
For him to even reveal his "concealed" weapon on private property without my permission is concidered a Class A misdemeanor, but for him to discharge and kill an animal on private property....I could have called the sheriff. No harm done, except to the poor armadillo. So, we let it go since they were leaving that morning anyway.
After everyone left, DW and I had a very long talk about this situation and made the decision to find out what our legal options and liabilities were.
On Monday, I spoke with both my insurance agent AND the local sheriff's department about this issue. From a insurance liability standpoint, we would be free and clear in case of a mishap. As a licensed concealed handgun carrier, it would all be on them. The sheriff's department agreed.
As far as Texas law is concerned, I can, as business, prohibit firearms from entering my premises. However, to do so I must have a large white sign with black 1" letters stating the code for such a prohibition in both English and in Spanish (this is Texas afterall). To do so, I fear, would virtually stop the flow of new guests. Personally, I think it's mass paranoia, but it's their right under the law.
However, according to the sherriff's office, as an owner of private property, which by the way a Bed and Breakfast/residence is, I have the right to make any damn rules I please concerning the handling of concealed guns on our property.
Though I hate hate hate to add another policy to the already encyclopedic list I have, I'm going to request that we be notified of any concealed weapons entering our property and that they not be seen at anytime during their visit. And, under no circumstances, may a weapon be discharged while on our property. I will have to come up with some polite verbage, but enough is enough.
WE WILL HAVE RULES.
smiley-char092.gif

I see you had an issue on the forum like I did, multiple posts, it locked up on me.
So, basically being in Texas as it is in say Alaska, I would have a sign posted.
To quote Johnny Cash "Don't take your guns to town son"

Back