Conducting guest surveys

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morticia

Reaction score
I want to ask my guests questions about their stay, how they use our website, their overall impressions. Survey would be, unlike face to face, totally anonymous. So, here's the question- if you were a guest used to receiving emailings from us, forewarned there was a survey coming, how much time/attention would you give to a survey from a place you've stayed? (Survey is online.)
I will add that these are guests who have opted in to hear from us and have all been on the mailing list for awhile.
I'm looking for either- how many questions would you be willing to answer (only one personal questions about your age group) and/or how much time would you spend on this?
If you've done surveys, what was the response like? Did you get a fair number of responses? Did it help you?

I haven't surveyed guests but I've thought about it. I just haven't figured out the anwswers to the questions you're asking, either. Market research like this is so very important, but us little guys don't often do much of it.
As a surveyee (?) someone who occasionally responds to surveys, I can tell you what motivates me to spend the time: I am either unhappy with a service and want to complain; or I was exceptionally pleased with a service and want to give back; or I have the chance to win something! Dangle a carrot and I will follow. But I will abandon a survey if it takes too long. Too long is subjective. It could be 3 minutes if I'm just doing it to be 'nice'; 5 minutes if I have a gripe; or 10 minutes if there's a ripe juicy carrot up for grabs.
If you do do a survey, please let us know the response stats!

Great idea. Just keep it short and simple with multiple choice questions so you can objectively compare the data.
Be sure to include a link to TA. Ask if they had a great experience to share it on TA and if they had any issues to please refer those directly to you for resolution.
And happyjacks is right. Dangle a carrot and they're much more likely to bite. Can't offer them an outright freebie if you're also asking for a TA review. But you can enter all responses in a contest for a free upgrade or a free coffee cup or something nominal.

I haven't surveyed guests but I've thought about it. I just haven't figured out the anwswers to the questions you're asking, either. Market research like this is so very important, but us little guys don't often do much of it.
As a surveyee (?) someone who occasionally responds to surveys, I can tell you what motivates me to spend the time: I am either unhappy with a service and want to complain; or I was exceptionally pleased with a service and want to give back; or I have the chance to win something! Dangle a carrot and I will follow. But I will abandon a survey if it takes too long. Too long is subjective. It could be 3 minutes if I'm just doing it to be 'nice'; 5 minutes if I have a gripe; or 10 minutes if there's a ripe juicy carrot up for grabs.
If you do do a survey, please let us know the response stats!.
Good points about the carrot. I took a class on surveys and apparently more people will answer a survey if there is a small guaranteed reward than the 'chance' to win a big reward. I would have to add a box for the name for a prize as the survey is anon.

Great idea. Just keep it short and simple with multiple choice questions so you can objectively compare the data.
Be sure to include a link to TA. Ask if they had a great experience to share it on TA and if they had any issues to please refer those directly to you for resolution.
And happyjacks is right. Dangle a carrot and they're much more likely to bite. Can't offer them an outright freebie if you're also asking for a TA review. But you can enter all responses in a contest for a free upgrade or a free coffee cup or something nominal..
I think adding a link to TA to ask for a review after I've just asked them to do a survey might be pushing my luck!

HJ you responded the same way I did. Put the participants in a hat and pull out a winner when all is said and done. Otherwise there is no incentive to give away my time.

And happyjacks is right. Dangle a carrot and they're much more likely to bite. Can't offer them an outright freebie if you're also asking for a TA review. But you can enter all responses in a contest for a free upgrade or a free coffee cup or something nominal..
I think adding a link to TA to ask for a review after I've just asked them to do a survey might be pushing my luck!
Maybe. But I've worked with places that do it quite successfully. It all depends on the wording as does the survey itself.
I used to teach classes myself in developing/conducting surveys. If you need any tips as you're designing yours or developing the questions, just drop me an email. I'm glad to give some free advice!

HJ, I am with you for the most part. The 'carrot' idea is a good one but I am wondering if you will get 100% gut feeling answers if you are asking for their name. To be honest, I think I would fluff up my responses if I were having to give my name - this is speaking in general terms, depending on what the survey questions were about. A question such as below, I would feel comfortable providing an honest answer:
If the question was about mattress comfort "was the matress to your liking? A) - yes, it was perfect B)- no, I prefer a more firm mattress C) no, I prefer a softer mattress D) do not remember
If the question was more on the personal side of the business like specific questions on the food where an honest answer could hurt some ones feelings if it weren't positive, I would feel less likely to give a less glowing answer if I was putting my name to it.

HJ, I am with you for the most part. The 'carrot' idea is a good one but I am wondering if you will get 100% gut feeling answers if you are asking for their name. To be honest, I think I would fluff up my responses if I were having to give my name - this is speaking in general terms, depending on what the survey questions were about. A question such as below, I would feel comfortable providing an honest answer:
If the question was about mattress comfort "was the matress to your liking? A) - yes, it was perfect B)- no, I prefer a more firm mattress C) no, I prefer a softer mattress D) do not remember
If the question was more on the personal side of the business like specific questions on the food where an honest answer could hurt some ones feelings if it weren't positive, I would feel less likely to give a less glowing answer if I was putting my name to it..
copperhead said:
If the question was more on the personal side of the business like specific questions on the food where an honest answer could hurt some ones feelings if it weren't positive, I would feel less likely to give a less glowing answer if I was putting my name to it.
It was not a review, it was a questionnaire. In fact, Mort your example of Mattress comfort is misleading, you didn't ask about that. You asked about amenities you might use or like, and price points in conjunction with the area.

If the question was more on the personal side of the business like specific questions on the food where an honest answer could hurt some ones feelings if it weren't positive, I would feel less likely to give a less glowing answer if I was putting my name to it..
My feelings on why I didn't want to offer an incentive! I won't get really honest answers if they have to give their name. Besides which, I don't want to know who is really unhappy, just that they are. I don't want to be on tenterhooks next time they come!
I'm revising it once more this morning.
I'm not asking questions that will lead me to have to do things I am not willing to do. (ie- how was your mattress? I'm not in the market for buying new mattresses and it's a place I really can't please everyone.)

copperhead said:
It was not a review, it was a questionnaire. In fact, Mort your example of Mattress comfort is misleading, you didn't ask about that. You asked about amenities you might use or like, and price points in conjunction with the area.
I didn't bring up mattresses...

copperhead said:
Morticia said:
CH did, I see, I thought I was replying to your post in her post.
Is it a guest review or a customer survey, you are saying survey, so you are asking things to increase their enjoyment during their stay, not asking how things "were". Two totally different animals.
You don't think guests will be honest about asking for sodas or single serve senseo machines? I think they will be, and isn't this the whole point of the survey, asking them for their opinion, or is it a gimmick? Either way, make it worth their while by offering an incentive.

copperhead said:
Morticia said:
Is it a guest review or a customer survey, you are saying survey, so you are asking things to increase their enjoyment during their stay, not asking how things "were". Two totally different animals.
You don't think guests will be honest about asking for sodas or single serve senseo machines? I think they will be, and isn't this the whole point of the survey, asking them for their opinion, or is it a gimmick? Either way, make it worth their while by offering an incentive.
I am only asking about things I am willing to provide if there is a response in the affirmative that guests want them. I am not asking if they want things I am not willing to provide or can't afford to provide. Almost everything on the list is already provided, I'm trying to get a sense of whether or not these are things guests really care about.
I'm hoping they tell me other things that they would like, that might be easy to provide.
But, points raised about guests not doing the survey if there's no immediate payoff (ie- having a better experience is not a big enough payoff, there needs to be some sort of prize, too) and the twin point about not being honest if they have to put down their name makes me wonder which I want more...honesty or a bigger sample size.
That's why I ask here, otherwise I just do things the way I would do them For the mailing list this is going to, if I were on that list as a guest, I would do this survey because I'd been to the place so many times and I wanted to help. I wouldn't do it for a prize. I'm not motivated by prizes.

copperhead said:
Morticia said:
I am only asking about things I am willing to provide if there is a response in the affirmative that guests want them. I am not asking if they want things I am not willing to provide or can't afford to provide. Almost everything on the list is already provided, I'm trying to get a sense of whether or not these are things guests really care about.
I'm hoping they tell me other things that they would like, that might be easy to provide.
But, points raised about guests not doing the survey if there's no immediate payoff (ie- having a better experience is not a big enough payoff, there needs to be some sort of prize, too) and the twin point about not being honest if they have to put down their name makes me wonder which I want more...honesty or a bigger sample size.
That's why I ask here, otherwise I just do things the way I would do them For the mailing list this is going to, if I were on that list as a guest, I would do this survey because I'd been to the place so many times and I wanted to help. I wouldn't do it for a prize. I'm not motivated by prizes.
I am confused as to the purpose of the survey? Why go to this trouble if you are not looking for ways to improve the guest experience?

I would answer a survey without having an incentive to do so and I have done it before. I would prefer it to be 10 minutes or less since I have a short attention span
confused_smile.gif

copperhead said:
Morticia said:
Personally, I would prefer a smaller sample which had honest answers. I wouldn't do the incentive. You are sending this survey to guests who have stayed with you before and have a personal connection to you. I think they would be happy to help if for no other reason than to give you honest input.

copperhead said:
Morticia said:
Personally, I would prefer a smaller sample which had honest answers. I wouldn't do the incentive. You are sending this survey to guests who have stayed with you before and have a personal connection to you. I think they would be happy to help if for no other reason than to give you honest input.
I took the advice of the folks who hosted the training class on surveys and did an incentive. As far as results go, 75% of the people who took the survey also opted for a chance to win the prize. I have no idea if that corresponds to 'I'm going to say something negative so I won't give my email' or what.

copperhead said:
Morticia said:
I took the advice of the folks who hosted the training class on surveys and did an incentive. As far as results go, 75% of the people who took the survey also opted for a chance to win the prize. I have no idea if that corresponds to 'I'm going to say something negative so I won't give my email' or what.
Morticia said:
I took the advice of the folks who hosted the training class on surveys and did an incentive.
A very good plan.
If it's results you want, go for the method that will produce them. Incentives, even a drawing for a small gift, result in more responses to a survey.

copperhead said:
Morticia said:
Morticia said:
I took the advice of the folks who hosted the training class on surveys and did an incentive.
A very good plan.
If it's results you want, go for the method that will produce them. Incentives, even a drawing for a small gift, result in more responses to a survey.
By the way, the stats on survey-taking run along the lines of 21% will take a survey if they are guaranteed a small reward and 18% will take a survey if there's a chance to win $1000. That's it. the other 79-82% won't bother at all. So, I'm not holding out any great hopes for a massive turnout on this. But if I hold true to those stats, it'll be ok for my purposes.
Another totally off topic 'factoid' for anyone who does an email newsletter...your readers spend an average of 51 seconds on the newsletter so you have to be short and punchy to get them to read more. You can encourage longer engagemnet by linking to the info rather than putting it into the email and telling them how long the info should take to read.

copperhead said:
Morticia said:
Morticia said:
A very good plan.
By the way, the stats on survey-taking run along the lines of 21% will take a survey if they are guaranteed a small reward and 18% will take a survey if there's a chance to win $1000. That's it. the other 79-82% won't bother at all. So, I'm not holding out any great hopes for a massive turnout on this. But if I hold true to those stats, it'll be ok for my purposes.
Another totally off topic 'factoid' for anyone who does an email newsletter...your readers spend an average of 51 seconds on the newsletter so you have to be short and punchy to get them to read more. You can encourage longer engagemnet by linking to the info rather than putting it into the email and telling them how long the info should take to read.
BTW, that 51 second thing is a killer for me. As you all well may know, I'm wordy when I get going!

Back