Confessions of a Hotel Maid

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We went to Wendy's the other night. The kids ordered cheeseburger kids meals to get the cd game that came with it.
They open it up to a burger with no cheese. They bring them over to the counter and tell the dude there and then stand there for an eternity.
I am at the table telling Dh the story of my friend Cathy who ordered that once and handed it back and waited then they handed her a new one and we began to drive away and NO CHEESE. Well this went on 4 times! It was bloody-unbelievable. They would hand her one, she would unwrap and hand back - four consecutive times at a Jack in the Box.
So the girls walk back to the table, open the wrapper - a burger with no cheese, both of them. Again. This is TWICE.
Dh grabs them and walks over and shoves them over the counter - CHEESE! NOW! They get cheese and hand it to him and he walks back and eats his meal.
I look at these starving children and reiterate my "See why you need an education and do not want to end up working fast food?"

We are at a Marriott. Onyums bag behind nightstand - last night city manager left note that it was there (not ours BTW) - and tonight it is still there. We also found a hair pick on the floor under the drapes. So much for housekeepping at a very expensive, big name hotel that also is charging $9.95 + tax per day for Internet..
What is an onyum bag?
oceans said:
What is an onyum bag?
I am not the only one who didn't know!!! ha ha I had only heard of Funyuns.
poke.gif
I thought it was a type of provolactic, so just left it at that.
click here
OK, they probably are called Funyums - I knew they were onion flavored and Deb called them OnYums. Surprising as it is, I do not eat chips and stuff like that to actually know their real name. Thanks for setting me straight. No wonder everyone looked at me as to say "what the hell are you talking about?" If they looked behind that nightstand they will know.
gillumhouse said:
OK, they probably are called Funyums - I knew they were onion flavored and Deb called them OnYums. Surprising as it is, I do not eat chips and stuff like that to actually know their real name. Thanks for setting me straight. No wonder everyone looked at me as to say "what the hell are you talking about?" If they looked behind that nightstand they will know.
In the case of the hotel staff, I would not have been so helpful...I would have said, 'There is trash behind the nightstand and behind the curtains left from the previous guest. The room has not been cleaned. I will return at 7 PM and expect the room to be CLEAN. If it is not clean, I will expect the manager on hand to review the room with me and then I will expect a refund. If it is impossible for anyone on this staff to clean a room properly, I will expect the hotel to provide me with new linens so I can clean the room properly myself. If need be, I will provide my own cleaning supplies.'
They were just BEYOND the pale as far as I am concerned. I have NEVER had that sort of problem anywhere, ever. They NEEDED to hear how bad their service is. And I'd still be writing to corporate and explaining that you were there representing WV tourism and you were appalled. Heck, I'M appalled and I'm 700 miles away!
You and your manager put up with too much in my opinion.
She has learned to rock the Council's boat but is still learning to not put up with crap from others. She really was angry with me for talking to the manager. But when the Internet was still on the bill I guess she nailed them. I thought it was so funny to hear her tell me, "I had to be you just now!" (I thought she meant she said she was me, not that she had nailed them! and my thought was a victory Hot Damn!!) It has taken her almost 15 years to get this far. She is doing very good to have actually protested the bill to get both the Internet and the parking removed - and I got us 2 dinners and honestly only because the service was horrible, 4 days with a faulty door lock, the chips bag, etc. I would have much preferred everything being up to standards (mine). Had I done your approach (which is the correct one) she would have cancelled the appointment as City Clerk because that would have proved she could not control this loose cannon.
She and I get along because we understand each other. If I go to the office to see her she knows she can say go away and I will or she can also say shut up and sit down. She is the future of my City and I am a willing slave to get it done. I have discovered I am a people collector - that I know a lot of people who know the person needed for whatever. I am useful and she knows she can trust me. It is nice to be needed..... and not in a dependent way.
gillumhouse said:
She has learned to rock the Council's boat but is still learning to not put up with crap from others. She really was angry with me for talking to the manager. But when the Internet was still on the bill I guess she nailed them. I thought it was so funny to hear her tell me, "I had to be you just now!" (I thought she meant she said she was me, not that she had nailed them! and my thought was a victory Hot Damn!!) It has taken her almost 15 years to get this far. She is doing very good to have actually protested the bill to get both the Internet and the parking removed - and I got us 2 dinners and honestly only because the service was horrible, 4 days with a faulty door lock, the chips bag, etc. I would have much preferred everything being up to standards (mine). Had I done your approach (which is the correct one) she would have cancelled the appointment as City Clerk because that would have proved she could not control this loose cannon.
She and I get along because we understand each other. If I go to the office to see her she knows she can say go away and I will or she can also say shut up and sit down. She is the future of my City and I am a willing slave to get it done. I have discovered I am a people collector - that I know a lot of people who know the person needed for whatever. I am useful and she knows she can trust me. It is nice to be needed..... and not in a dependent way.
I guess then that I have a fairly low opinion of a city council that would put up with tourists being insulted in the way that you both were if they expected you to put up with that, then it is ok for anyone else to have to deal with that as well. You can be darned certain that no one on that city council would have tolerated those conditions on their own vacation. So why they think you are a 'loose cannon' for not tolerating shabby treatment is beyond me. Do they expect that you will just shut up when things are not done properly, or would they hope you would do your best to make sure your town is everything it can be?
No need to answer, we all know what small town politics can be like. But I'm surprised you could lose your job for making sure you were treated right when you were PAYING for the room. Maybe it is necessary to tip toe around in Council meetings (fat chance) but why is it necessary to put up wth crap when you're not even home?
They (Council) think I am a loose cannon because I am not afraid to open my mouth and they are afraid I will open it when it needs to be closed - they do not realize I do know when to shut up - because I have not put up with much from them.
The City was paying for the room as she and I were there on City business and everything just dropped into place to be consecutive days. She is a very intelligent woman who was brought up to be seen and not heard - and now she is setting this town on its ear as she has been appointed to some very prestigious committees. I look at her as my prodigy. 15 years ago she would not have moved this town in the direction she has nor would she have been hired as City Manager. Next week she is going to Chicago (on Council dime) to the National Main Street Conference - this town would never have dreamed of doing that 15 years ago. She and I have pulled it kicking and screaming (actually with a bit of help from some of the boys still on Council who won the election to change the Charter to City Manager form). We did it a little at a time. I am so proud of my City. I guarantee one thing - if her room is not up to par in the future, she will not hesitate to voice it. This trip taught her you have expectations that are to be met - or else.

It is worse than you think.
Why do we pray before our meals? THAT IS ONE REASON! KEEP US SAFE!
I can tell you stories aplenty from working environmental health - like the guy who sat ON the toilet as he chopped veggies at the chinese restaurant. Health inspector caught him in the act.
I will say that chinese restaurants overall are the worst offenders.
If the front doesn't look clean - the back is 100 times worse. That is the rule of thumb. Since many kitchens in America hire illegals workers, many who not speak or read english - you can imagine some of the issues that arise from that.
Here is the worst - neighborhood ice cream trucks have a toilet in them BUT NO SINK or handwashing station..
Our street vendor carts were required to install hand washing sinks. Let's think about this. The cart is on the sidewalk. Where does the water come from? Nowhere. Where does the water go IF someone uses bottled water or the cart-cleaning hose? All over the sidewalk. What's usually IN the hand-washing sink? Junk.
It's a good idea with no way to implement it. And, yes, it's gross to think these kids are out there in the sun and rain all day making lemonade and sandwiches with no way to wash up. Even if it was just to get the sugar and lemon and ice cream, etc off their hands, much less the bacteria from handling raw meat. (They do have an inside bathroom they use. Whether they wash is unknown.)
Come on, y'all...what did they do "back in the day"?? Goodness gracious....
Raw meat is a real concern but you're taking all the fun out of life. :)

I can tell you stories aplenty from working environmental health - like the guy who sat ON the toilet as he chopped veggies at the chinese restaurant. Health inspector caught him in the act.
If the front doesn't look clean - the back is 100 times worse. That is the rule of thumb. Since many kitchens in America hire illegals workers, many who not speak or read english - you can imagine some of the issues that arise from that.
Here is the worst - neighborhood ice cream trucks have a toilet in them BUT NO SINK or handwashing station..
Our street vendor carts were required to install hand washing sinks. Let's think about this. The cart is on the sidewalk. Where does the water come from? Nowhere. Where does the water go IF someone uses bottled water or the cart-cleaning hose? All over the sidewalk. What's usually IN the hand-washing sink? Junk.
It's a good idea with no way to implement it. And, yes, it's gross to think these kids are out there in the sun and rain all day making lemonade and sandwiches with no way to wash up. Even if it was just to get the sugar and lemon and ice cream, etc off their hands, much less the bacteria from handling raw meat. (They do have an inside bathroom they use. Whether they wash is unknown.)
Samster said:
I still eat there and at a variety of 'unhealthy' places. Heck, just because they have handwashing sinks in restaurants doesn't mean anyone uses them. What gets me is the 3 bay sink + handwashing sink + mop sink that the commercial kitchens require. I have a 2 bay sink, no handwashing sink and no mop sink. Heaven help me, I actually wash my hands in the same sink I put the dishes in! That can't possibly be sanitary.
wink_smile.gif
I use the same sink for the mop. Of course, the dishes aren't in there at the same time, imagine me figuring that out on my own. I tell ya, some of the rules are silly.
When I opened the box of dishes my grandmother left me, there were still bits of food on the bottoms of the plates. We ate at her house a couple of times/month and we all lived. I remember her washing dishes and talking. Swipe, swipe with a damp cloth, 'Here, dry this off.'
But the germs are tougher these days, so more precautions are necessary.

Samster said:
I still eat there and at a variety of 'unhealthy' places. Heck, just because they have handwashing sinks in restaurants doesn't mean anyone uses them. What gets me is the 3 bay sink + handwashing sink + mop sink that the commercial kitchens require. I have a 2 bay sink, no handwashing sink and no mop sink. Heaven help me, I actually wash my hands in the same sink I put the dishes in! That can't possibly be sanitary.
wink_smile.gif
I use the same sink for the mop. Of course, the dishes aren't in there at the same time, imagine me figuring that out on my own. I tell ya, some of the rules are silly.
When I opened the box of dishes my grandmother left me, there were still bits of food on the bottoms of the plates. We ate at her house a couple of times/month and we all lived. I remember her washing dishes and talking. Swipe, swipe with a damp cloth, 'Here, dry this off.'
Plus a produce sink here...
Common sense has to prevail.

Samster said:
wink_smile.gif
Samster said:
So wait, 3 sinks for washing dishes, 1 sink for washing hands, 1 sink for washing mop and another whole sink for washing veggies? Is there a 'sink' lobby in your town???

Samster said:
wink_smile.gif
Samster said:
So wait, 3 sinks for washing dishes, 1 sink for washing hands, 1 sink for washing mop and another whole sink for washing veggies? Is there a 'sink' lobby in your town???
Yep...6 sinks total for commercial restaurant kitchens. The produce sink requirement was added after all that produce scare stuff.
No lobby to purchase and install sinks that I know of .... :)

Samster said:
wink_smile.gif
Samster said:
Yep...6 sinks total for commercial restaurant kitchens. The produce sink requirement was added after all that produce scare stuff.
No lobby to purchase and install sinks that I know of .... :)
And does the restaurant inspector really think that the produce is going to be washed any better/differently/at all because a sink is required to do that? Makes you wonder why no one thought of washing the food BEFORE this.

A dresses cocktail is actually a woman's dress worn at cocktail parties,like homecoming.The one shoulder cocktail dress varies depending on fashion and local custom.The length ranges from just above the knee to touching the ankle.designer cocktail dresses was called late afternoon' within the old days. When gentlemen are in company suits, ladies also wear bridal dresses wedding or good afternoon skirt and dresses. white cocktail dress offered inside your nearby boutique shop or on the internet shops, so before your window shopping about, try to have some styles or suitable ones in mind or else you will waist a lot more time and power in the aimless wondering.If you want to show how sexy and hot you might be, why don't you go for strapless cocktail dresses. This neck style assists to accent your shoulder and bust beauty a lot. To show a bit cleavage, it is possible to select sweetheart neckline wedding gowns. For girls who have shapely legs to show off, cocktail dresses evening wear are definitely their best bet to show that slim, slender and shaved legs. Also this can even allow a girl make a more memorable look on her homecoming. cocktail dresses online are cute for the homecoming prom dress. This is definitely recommendable for girls who want to appear a lot more adorable on the party. Besides, the colors for cocktail dress are wealthy. Red, black or some bright color will support you to stand out among numerous beauties. But do keep in mind to wear black dress wedding,that may go with your skin tone. If you would like to know more about black cocktail dress.Come our site,Just appreciate your time and uncover one that may genuinely complement along with your evening gown.You will find also much more cocktail dresses with modest style obtainable.At times it isn't great to run following the fashion trend,just go towards the style that could show your personality and style!

One reason to NEVER eat food from a festival vendor. The little tourist town that my shop was in is known for its festivals. We have at least one every other month. During the festivals the streets are lined with food vendors selling everything from boiled crawfish to bbq, finger foods galore. Yum.
Until you realize that during festivals the powers that be lock the public toilets because of septic system issues and bring in portable toilets. That means everyone who doesn't have a storefront is using a porta potty and NOBODY is washing their hands. Including the food vendors.
Gross.
I NEVER eat at street festivals and fairs. It just has always grossed me out. Besides the food not really very appealing to me..the thoughts of where the vendors hands have been just turns me off totally.
I never buy anything from bake sales. My friend took a cake decorating class. I went to her house to see a cake she had done it was pretty good but her 3 year old son has licked the cake and she smoothed the icing out and sold it to her neighbor. She told me she did tell her neighbor what had happen. Oh my!!! Same friend made a cheese ball to take to a cookout and same thing her son licked the cheese ball and she just took it anyway. So I don't eat anything from a bake sale. I am not sure what people do in the kitchen.

One reason to NEVER eat food from a festival vendor. The little tourist town that my shop was in is known for its festivals. We have at least one every other month. During the festivals the streets are lined with food vendors selling everything from boiled crawfish to bbq, finger foods galore. Yum.
Until you realize that during festivals the powers that be lock the public toilets because of septic system issues and bring in portable toilets. That means everyone who doesn't have a storefront is using a porta potty and NOBODY is washing their hands. Including the food vendors.
Gross.
I NEVER eat at street festivals and fairs. It just has always grossed me out. Besides the food not really very appealing to me..the thoughts of where the vendors hands have been just turns me off totally.
I never buy anything from bake sales. My friend took a cake decorating class. I went to her house to see a cake she had done it was pretty good but her 3 year old son has licked the cake and she smoothed the icing out and sold it to her neighbor. She told me she did tell her neighbor what had happen. Oh my!!! Same friend made a cheese ball to take to a cookout and same thing her son licked the cheese ball and she just took it anyway. So I don't eat anything from a bake sale. I am not sure what people do in the kitchen.
sandynn said:
My one requirement when I dine out, never ever seat me where I can look into the kitchen. I think most of us would never eat out again, if we watched. Unless it is a totally open kitchen, like some upscale restaurants have, they KNOW they are being watched.
I guess a kid licking the cake and then selling it is probably one of the lesser health dept violations you might find...you know we talk about that here on the forum with many believing that there should never be any sort of licensing, training or inspections to cook for people, no food handling class, zilch. That scares me!
Reminds me of the Chinese cook in China town Sydney Oz who they found sitting on the loo as he chopped veggies into another pot. It was a spot inspection when they found him. I was working at the health dept - environmental health and have some interesting stories to tell about this!
Another being a scarlet fever outbreak (which used to be fatal, now we have antibiotics) it continued for months with serious illness, and after investigating all avenues, the health inspectors finally showed up at midnight at one particular restaurant they pinpointed where they found Grandma from Greece doing prep work in the kitchen (she was not documented as working there), she was not ill at all, just a carrier.

Back