Confirmation of reservation

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MTLLodge

Reaction score
What do you include in your confirmation email? Map? restating days of reservation? I just wonder who will add something I didn;t think of.
wink_smile.gif

After the usual thank you for..., I state the day and date of arrival and the day and date of departure, the room & rate per night plus tax rate, note the dietary restrictions (including the word none if that is what they said and the brussel sprouts they were smart ass with). I tell them they need to tell me each evening what time they want breakfast in the morning, and then I end with turn by turn directions from the Interstate or from the highway they tell me they will be using to get here. I also include my cancellation policy including that a full reservation charge will be posted for a no-show. Horse confirmations include where to call me from the highway so I can meet them to go to the stable AND the cancelation includes a posting of the stable fee if canceled after the cut-off or a no-show.
The final sentence is Please do not hesitate to call if you have any questions.

Mine is a template from SuperInn where the reservation software automatically has the pertinent info. It also imports the policies (that you put in). You also make up a standard email for the body of the confirmation. I have a link to the PDF on our website with the directions. I tweak the confirmation email with a personal touch for each guest.

Mine is a template from SuperInn where the reservation software automatically has the pertinent info. It also imports the policies (that you put in). You also make up a standard email for the body of the confirmation. I have a link to the PDF on our website with the directions. I tweak the confirmation email with a personal touch for each guest..
Samster said:
Mine is a template from SuperInn where the reservation software automatically has the pertinent info. It also imports the policies (that you put in). You also make up a standard email for the body of the confirmation. I have a link to the PDF on our website with the directions. I tweak the confirmation email with a personal touch for each guest.
This is what I do also. I now bold the cancellation policy and check-in times. In red, I tell them I highly recommend printing the directions from our website and then give them the link.

Mine is a templet form too. Here is an example:
Code:
Dear Mr Smith, 
Greetings from the _______________ Bed & Breakfast;

Thank you for your online reservation with us in the Sunny Dale Suite for the dates of Friday and Saturday Sept. 11 & 12, 2009.
The details of your reservation are as follows:
     Unit: Sunny Dale Suite - 1 unit @ $225 p/n, plus taxes.
   Guests: 2 - adults, 0 - children, 0 - pets
 Check-In: September 11, 2009 3-6 PM. Later by prior arrangement. 
Check-Out: September 13, 2009 by 11 AM
  Staying: 2 nights
Sunny Dale Suite Amenities include:
Period Victorian Antiques, queen size feather bed, private bath with shower & spacious jacuzzi, seasonal fireplace, in room TV, and free WI-FI access. 
A candlelit, 3 course gourmet breakfast is served in our dining room each morning at 9 AM. Coffee/Tea service is available in our dining room each morning at 7:30 AM.
Complimentary bottle of wine en suite upon arrival.
Off street parking provided for 1 car.
Daily chamber care.
Cancellation Policy: 
15 days prior to arrival date for standard reservations. 
30 days prior for reservations that fall over a Holiday, Special Event, Special Rate Package or Single night stays.
Cancellation with in 24 hours of your arrival date will forfeit the entire amount of your reservation. 
Reservation Status: Confirmed.
The credit card on file is used only to hold your reservation. 
An authorization only will be taken against the credit card provided to secure the reservation.
Payment in full is due at check in.                   
Thank you for making the ________________ B & B your destination. 
We look forward to your visit.
Regards,

Code:
Dear Mr Smith, 

Thank you for your online reservation with us in the Sunny Dale Suite for the dates of Friday and Saturday Sept. 11 & 12, 2009.
Period Victorian Antiques, queen size feather bed, private bath with shower & spacious jacuzzi, seasonal fireplace, in room TV, and free WI-FI access. 
A candlelit, 3 course gourmet breakfast is served in our dining room each morning at 9 AM. Coffee/Tea service is available in our dining room each morning at 7:30 AM.
Daily chamber care.
Cancellation Policy: 
30 days prior for reservations that fall over a Holiday, Special Event, Special Rate Package or Single night stays.
Cancellation with in 24 hours of your arrival date will forfeit the entire amount of your reservation. 
An authorization only will be taken against the credit card provided to secure the reservation.
Regards,
  • Reservation Status: Confirmed.
  • The credit card on file is used only to hold your reservation.
  • An authorization only will be taken against the credit card provided to secure the reservation.
I like these a lot...

Code:
Dear Mr Smith, 

Daily chamber care.
Cancellation Policy: 
Regards,

Mine is a template from SuperInn where the reservation software automatically has the pertinent info. It also imports the policies (that you put in). You also make up a standard email for the body of the confirmation. I have a link to the PDF on our website with the directions. I tweak the confirmation email with a personal touch for each guest..
Samster said:
This is what I do also. I now bold the cancellation policy and check-in times. In red, I tell them I highly recommend printing the directions from our website and then give them the link.
Breakfast Diva said:
I now bold the cancellation policy and check-in times. In red, I tell them I highly recommend printing the directions from our website and then give them the link.
I use a template from Webervations tweaked to include what I feel is pertinent information. I bold and cap the cancellation policy. State the day & date of arrival and depature so there are no mix-ups. That is if they actually take the time to read the confirmation.

Code:
Dear Mr Smith, 

Daily chamber care.
Cancellation Policy: 
Regards,
Breakfast Diva said:
What penalty do they have if they cancel within the 15 day cancellation period, but give you more than 24 hours?
They forfeit 50% of their stay for a reservation of 2 nights or longer. Single night stays on weekends and Holidays have a 30 day prior to arrival cancellation timeframe. If the cancel within 24 hours, they forfeit 100% of their stay.

Code:
Dear Mr Smith, 

Daily chamber care.
Cancellation Policy: 
Regards,
Breakfast Diva said:
What penalty do they have if they cancel within the 15 day cancellation period, but give you more than 24 hours?
They forfeit 50% of their stay for a reservation of 2 nights or longer. Single night stays on weekends and Holidays have a 30 day prior to arrival cancellation timeframe. If the cancel within 24 hours, they forfeit 100% of their stay.
The Farmers Daughter said:
Breakfast Diva said:
It didn't state that in the confirmation you shared with us. If it's not in the one you send to the guest, you might want to add it so it's in their face.

Hello Dick & Jane, thank you for choosing My B&B!
This email contains details about your reservation; please reply to indicate you've received it and understand our policies.
If you have any questions about the inn or the area, feel free to email. We look forward to your visit!
Best regards,
Me
Booking Confirmation
Guests: Dick & Jane Smith
Arrive: Saturday September 1
Depart: Monday September 3
Check in: begins at 3pm (see end of this email for things to do if you are in the area earlier)
Check out: by 11am
Room: Maple
[if they booked a package, I'll indicate it here along with the inclusions]
Food Restrictions: no soft cheeses, caffiene or cold cuts for Jane
Rate: $240 + tax = $264
Reservation held with Visa card number
Cancellation Policy
If cancelling with 7 days notice or more, a $25 administrative fee is charged to your card; if cancelling with less than 7 days notice, 50% of the booking amount is charged to your card.
Smoking and Pets
Smoking is not allowed indoors, near doorways, nor on our trails. We have one friendly dog in residence and guest dog(s) may be present during your stay.
Directions
[basic directions from where they're coming from, plus our street address, then...] The road has some unexpected turns (where you think you should go straight, but don't) so please print out the map from our website 'How to Reach Us' page at:
[link to directions page on website]
Snacks, Beverages & Other Meals
You're welcome to bring your own wine, beer, snacks and beverages to enjoy on the property. There are two mini-fridges and a microwave available for guests to share, however there are no guest kitchen facilities.There are many excellent restaurants in Big Town and a smaller selection in the towns north of us. I'll post some restaurant suggestions at the end of this email [sometimes]. Dinners are available here at the inn with advance notice. Please enquire for more details if interested.
September in the Country
[bit of info on what to bring for the time of year, ie bathing suits, insect repellent, jackets for cool evenings, winter weather essentials]
: : : : : : : :
Dining Out
[list 3 restaurants and links to their websites in case people stop in town for dinner before checking in; a lot of guests comment this is useful]
In the area early?
Your room and hosts will be ready to welcome you any time after 3:00 pm. If you're in the area early, don't come straight to the inn as there may be no one here or available to let you in. Instead, you may enjoy some of these activities to pass the time:
[list 3 things to do including basic directions and/or link to website]
Planning Ahead
[I include this with longer bookings where we are the home base for their holiday]
Visit our blog to find sample itineraries, descriptions and links for activities, galleries and day trips.
[link to our blog]
Visit our website for links to area parks, outfitters, golf courses, and cultural arts.
[link to our website Things to do in the Area page]
My B&B
contact info

Code:
Dear Mr Smith, 

Daily chamber care.
Cancellation Policy: 
Regards,
Dear Mr Smith,

Daily chamber care.
Cancellation Policy:
Regards,

This is back up to reiterate what I tell them on the phone. I remember reading somewhere that the average person needs to read/hear the same information repeatedly before it actually sinks in. Selective absorbtion of information, if you will.

Code:
Dear Mr Smith, 

Daily chamber care.
Cancellation Policy: 
Regards,
Dear Mr Smith,

Daily chamber care.
Cancellation Policy:
Regards,
I think that it really does not matter whether they read it or not. If they sign-off on it, and if we have it on our web sites and in the confirmation letter, we have back-up that we made it available for them to have read it. It gives the CYA if we need it.
I hope I never get one of those destructo-robos that have been described on the Forum lately. Goodness!!

I would venture to guess that most people don't read the cancellation policy until they actually have to cancel. That's why so many get irate. Rather than kicking themselves for not reading the fine print, they take their frustration out on the innkeeper. Responsible behavior? Nope. Typical? Yep.

I would venture to guess that most people don't read the cancellation policy until they actually have to cancel. That's why so many get irate. Rather than kicking themselves for not reading the fine print, they take their frustration out on the innkeeper. Responsible behavior? Nope. Typical? Yep..
Proud Texan said:
I would venture to guess that most people don't read the cancellation policy until they actually have to cancel. That's why so many get irate. Rather than kicking themselves for not reading the fine print, they take their frustration out on the innkeeper. Responsible behavior? Nope. Typical? Yep.
Yup, then they describe it pejoratively as "fine print". Well, if we all didn't feel the need to dot every "i" and cross every "t" for you pinheads so you can't weasle out of a booking and leave us empty handed and eventually empty pocketed, the print wouldn't need to be so fine.
I will say though in these troubled economic times, our cancellation rate is down to nearly zero. It just seems like the only folks traveling are the ones really committed to following through on their plans.

Back