Confirmations and double confirmations and triple confirmations

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
Is it just me or are people just being air heads lately? I mean, they get a confirmation, then another saying your stay is three days away, why oh why do they call "Oops I put in the wrong dates" or "Oh we wanted two nights not just one"
If I TYPE ON THE WEBSITE OR CONFIRMATION to read and double check the dates (which I think I alreayd have on there) they won't read it. It seems to be at epidemic proportions this year and we are only just getting started!
poke.gif

I know, I really like it when they act like I changed it on purpose. YOU put the dates in, I can't change what you put in!
But on the other hand, at least they are READING the confirmation.

We had some a few weeks back that booked for the 28th of April and turned up on the 28th of march! they were ruddy lucky we had a room as they turned up at 9.30 and if we had had a walk in they would have been stuffed. He showed it me on his eye-phone and I thought we had made a mistake till I clocked the date! We are having a mad time cos we have a ton of events over lap say for example this week comming up we have one conference monday, tuesday, wed and the other tues, wed thurs, so the overlap days are insane! plus we have some comming up in June that over lap on the saturday so = two lots of conference people plus normal sat weekend people. I have two lots of people going to 60th birthday parties that are on those days so no one will take them as they are hanging out for conference people who will stay 4 nights each way so wont take the chance on 8 nights being blocked by one on the saturday. I can see why us B&B's are doing it and i am to but I feel for the people who can't get in anywhere. I did have a slot between 2 conferences so got 2 lots of randoms in the spaces so feel I have helped a bit and got one in with my neighbour who has a really nice place so am pleased as I gave them the number. But I am going bonkers!

I know, I really like it when they act like I changed it on purpose. YOU put the dates in, I can't change what you put in!
But on the other hand, at least they are READING the confirmation..
Don Draper said:
But on the other hand, at least they are READING the confirmation.
This exact thing happened last week. They accused us of changing the date when they showed up a week early. They NEVER read the confirmation. We were completely NOT ready for guests that night.

I had a couple book for the 28th of march turned up 28th feb were ruddy lucky that I had a room!

I had a couple book for the 28th of march turned up 28th feb were ruddy lucky that I had a room!.
I had a couple book for the 28th of march turned up 28th feb were ruddy lucky that I had a room!
I'm curious, did you charge them for their original reservation or was it within the range of your cancellation policy?
I think idiots who do this should be slapped with the full force of a cancellation policy. After all, we are removing rooms from the market and may or may not be able to book them after they discover THEIR screwup.

I had a couple book for the 28th of march turned up 28th feb were ruddy lucky that I had a room!.
I'm curious, did you charge them for their original reservation or was it within the range of your cancellation policy?
I think idiots who do this should be slapped with the full force of a cancellation policy. After all, we are removing rooms from the market and may or may not be able to book them after they discover THEIR screwup.
We didnt charge as our cancellation policy is 48 hours for 1 night bookings and when they had booked for was in 4 weeks time and we sold it easily. He pulled it up on his phone to show me he was right and I had my heart in my throat thinking Id cocked up till I saw the date! and pointed it out to him. His Mrs had a look that said when we are alone you are in so much trouble so I figured he was going to be punished enough! The best one was a chap that was trying to reserve 4 doubles for a time when we had only one. We use laterooms and they send through a reservation request and I rejected it, then same chap tried again (thats why I remember it) rejected it again. On the day they all turned up! turns out he is dyslexic and couldnt read the reply from laterooms saying it was rejected and assumed it was booked! luckily the friends saw the funny side and said it was typical of him! Got them 4 rooms at the holiday inn luckily Id have been furious with him if it was me! Luckily I remembered the name cos I had thought at the time what an idiot if we didnt have the rooms on a saturday during the spring bridal fair we aint going to have them in the afternoon. I love it when Im right.

We juggle two electronic reservation systems: the one on our website, and the one we subscribe to through the ski area's central reservation system. Happily, the central res system won't allow bookings within 24 hours of the 1st day of the stay--but our res system will (I'm thinking of changing this).
Can't tell you the number of times we've had people show up at 4:30 (the lifts close at 4) wanting to check in, and we scrabble around looking for their reservation with no luck.
Uh, when did you book this?
"Oh, it was maybe a couple of hours ago on the lift. We decided we didn't want to drive back to Denver in the traffic. Aren't i-phones the greatest?"
Right.
Generally, however, when there is a problem with a booking, it's because we made a mistake when transferring a reservation from one system to another.

We juggle two electronic reservation systems: the one on our website, and the one we subscribe to through the ski area's central reservation system. Happily, the central res system won't allow bookings within 24 hours of the 1st day of the stay--but our res system will (I'm thinking of changing this).
Can't tell you the number of times we've had people show up at 4:30 (the lifts close at 4) wanting to check in, and we scrabble around looking for their reservation with no luck.
"Oh, it was maybe a couple of hours ago on the lift. We decided we didn't want to drive back to Denver in the traffic. Aren't i-phones the greatest?"
Right.
Generally, however, when there is a problem with a booking, it's because we made a mistake when transferring a reservation from one system to another.

Right.
Generally, however, when there is a problem with a booking, it's because we made a mistake when transferring a reservation from one system to another..
We juggle two as well and it sure requires a lot of double checking. We have the wine tours and the B&B and often people don't book if the wine tour is full - they want to change their dates so the wine tour is available.
The other way around is usually workable - we refer them to any of the other B&Bs in our pickup location and book the wine tour separately.
Riki

Right.
Generally, however, when there is a problem with a booking, it's because we made a mistake when transferring a reservation from one system to another..
Happily, the central res system won't allow bookings within 24 hours of the 1st day of the stay--but our res system will (I'm thinking of changing this).
If this is a continual problem, then yes you SHOULD change it! And with WiFi phones becoming more and more polular this type of issue will only get worse. I have had some attempt this on the road, but have 'if booking within 24 hrs of your stay, please call', but some don't see this and call "I see you have a room open but I can't book it" - It sure save you if you are away from the inn, not expecting a check in!

We had some a few weeks back that booked for the 28th of April and turned up on the 28th of march! they were ruddy lucky we had a room as they turned up at 9.30 and if we had had a walk in they would have been stuffed. He showed it me on his eye-phone and I thought we had made a mistake till I clocked the date! We are having a mad time cos we have a ton of events over lap say for example this week comming up we have one conference monday, tuesday, wed and the other tues, wed thurs, so the overlap days are insane! plus we have some comming up in June that over lap on the saturday so = two lots of conference people plus normal sat weekend people. I have two lots of people going to 60th birthday parties that are on those days so no one will take them as they are hanging out for conference people who will stay 4 nights each way so wont take the chance on 8 nights being blocked by one on the saturday. I can see why us B&B's are doing it and i am to but I feel for the people who can't get in anywhere. I did have a slot between 2 conferences so got 2 lots of randoms in the spaces so feel I have helped a bit and got one in with my neighbour who has a really nice place so am pleased as I gave them the number. But I am going bonkers!.
We had a quick stop in Harrogate for a bite to eat this week on our way back to York from a tourist site. The restaurant was full of folks wearing conference badges!
Sorry...no time to find you and stop in for a quick "hello"....

We had some a few weeks back that booked for the 28th of April and turned up on the 28th of march! they were ruddy lucky we had a room as they turned up at 9.30 and if we had had a walk in they would have been stuffed. He showed it me on his eye-phone and I thought we had made a mistake till I clocked the date! We are having a mad time cos we have a ton of events over lap say for example this week comming up we have one conference monday, tuesday, wed and the other tues, wed thurs, so the overlap days are insane! plus we have some comming up in June that over lap on the saturday so = two lots of conference people plus normal sat weekend people. I have two lots of people going to 60th birthday parties that are on those days so no one will take them as they are hanging out for conference people who will stay 4 nights each way so wont take the chance on 8 nights being blocked by one on the saturday. I can see why us B&B's are doing it and i am to but I feel for the people who can't get in anywhere. I did have a slot between 2 conferences so got 2 lots of randoms in the spaces so feel I have helped a bit and got one in with my neighbour who has a really nice place so am pleased as I gave them the number. But I am going bonkers!.
We had a quick stop in Harrogate for a bite to eat this week on our way back to York from a tourist site. The restaurant was full of folks wearing conference badges!
Sorry...no time to find you and stop in for a quick "hello"....
cry_smile.gif

Harrogate is always full of people wearing conference badges! lol usually they have a map in one hand, a confused expression on their faces and are dragging a trolly bag! I was telling this to one of our guests who was just here on holiday and she came back to me in the evening and said "when you know what to look for you see them everywhere!" and we had a good laugh. They were Joyful guests on their way to a bird watching thing but stopped off here for 2 days and really packed it in! did the home of the Bronte's, where Agatha Christie stayed in Harrogate, Bettys cafe (this is world famous) Every place to see in York, and about a million other things and took a ton of literature with them and are planning a return trip. they were a pleasure to have.

Back