Congratulations you survived October!

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
Well done everyone.
cheers.gif

October was a great month for us... our best ever at 60% occupancy! Hope it was a great month for all!

Then we just did our numbers and we are down 25% from last November and lagging slightly behind our major competitors whom we are usually ahead of...so discouraging. Don't know whether to be upset or happy 'cause at least that's 25% less PITA's I'll have to deal with
sad_smile.gif

October was a great month for us... our best ever at 60% occupancy! Hope it was a great month for all!.
Great for us too...three more rooms nights than last year, which I thought we would never beat.

Then we just did our numbers and we are down 25% from last November and lagging slightly behind our major competitors whom we are usually ahead of...so discouraging. Don't know whether to be upset or happy 'cause at least that's 25% less PITA's I'll have to deal with
sad_smile.gif
Do you have any innsight as to why that occured for you?

Luckily we went back and it was an error in engineering hub's spreadsheet (31 days instead of 30 in the month) plus not accounting for some closed days. SO, still on track. But man, thinking we weren't was enough to really tweak me yesterday. We sorely need a rest.

We had a stellar October as well. Need to take a couple of days off and rest now!!!
Riki

Luckily we went back and it was an error in engineering hub's spreadsheet (31 days instead of 30 in the month) plus not accounting for some closed days. SO, still on track. But man, thinking we weren't was enough to really tweak me yesterday. We sorely need a rest..
InnsiderInfo said:
Luckily we went back and it was an error in engineering hub's spreadsheet (31 days instead of 30 in the month) plus not accounting for some closed days. SO, still on track. But man, thinking we weren't was enough to really tweak me yesterday. We sorely need a rest.
You don't count days you are closed in your occupancy numbers?

Luckily we went back and it was an error in engineering hub's spreadsheet (31 days instead of 30 in the month) plus not accounting for some closed days. SO, still on track. But man, thinking we weren't was enough to really tweak me yesterday. We sorely need a rest..
InnsiderInfo said:
You don't count days you are closed in your occupancy numbers?
We do both. For our official "occupancy" we do, it's all based on 365. But just for our own internal tracking we don't.
Our PO's not only didn't count days that they were closed, they counted days that their daughter stayed with them free of charge as occupied. Yeah, we found that out AFTER we closed.

Of the the 155 bed nights available we had 93 bed nights (60%) with 43 guests (yeah for the mulitple night stays!)
33% were Internet resesrvations or finding us thru the internet - online reservations (14%) vs internet search (18.6%)
30% were repeat guest stays
11.6% were medical student stays
7% were referrals from local businesses
7% were referrlas from friends
the remaining were referrals from local residents, past guest referrals, B&B directory, and walk-in stays
So having a website with an online reservation system pays off, as well as, building good relationships with our guests. Hopefully the remaining guest stays will come back or refer others to us.
We get a lot of first time b&b guests - do you find that you are getting a lot of first time guests?

I'm mentally doing cartwheels... the days of actual cartwheels are long past......

You are in good shape to even do mental cartwheels after such a busy month!

Of the the 155 bed nights available we had 93 bed nights (60%) with 43 guests (yeah for the mulitple night stays!)
33% were Internet resesrvations or finding us thru the internet - online reservations (14%) vs internet search (18.6%)
the remaining were referrals from local residents, past guest referrals, B&B directory, and walk-in stays
So having a website with an online reservation system pays off, as well as, building good relationships with our guests. Hopefully the remaining guest stays will come back or refer others to us.
We get a lot of first time b&b guests - do you find that you are getting a lot of first time guests?.
We are getting good repeats, and a lot of first time B&B guests.
Riki

We get a lot of first time b&b guests - do you find that you are getting a lot of first time guests?.
Awesome stats and a great reminder that it's good to step back and get an overview once the craziness dies down.
We also had a fair amount of first time b&b guests and I am finding that it is a demo I LOVE. I'm trying to brainstorm ways I can appeal more directly to the market.
I think I am going to add section to our website specifically for first time guests. Once I get a list started I will post a new thread so y'all can chime in!

We just barely survived. We received over 12" of rain in one week. Our pond rose to over flood stage, but thankfully our spillways worked as intended. Our yard guys made a mess because the ground was saturated and very soft. We're finally drying out and doing damage control.
The week was topped off by the visitation of a small odiferous black and white mammal that chose to let loose beneath one of our cabins.
On a positive note: Our guests didn't notice a thing out of place.

We had so much rain & cold that October was horrible. However, November is filling in nicely....

Back