Consensus of Opinion NEEDED!!

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gillumhouse

Reaction score
OK, the following is an e-mail from a participant in the B & Bs For Vets. How do YOU think this should be handled. I gave MY answer but said I would ask innkeeper friends for a second opinion. I will post MY answer later tonight.
What an awesome idea for our vets and active duty military! We had 2
free rooms posted that were both booked just moments ago, and since they
were both taken so quickly, we are going to give any other vet that
calls a room at half price for that evening.

Our owner served in the Marines, and he is very happy to serve those who
serve us.

What say you Oh Wise Innkeepers?

I would say that's very generous of them, and a personal decision to do it or not do it.

I would say that's very generous of them, and a personal decision to do it or not do it..
I would say "That's wonderful! Thanks for doing even more for our vets!"
I would not worry about this causing any confusion over the original offer. Everyone understands limited quantities.
Personally, I'm offering all our rooms (just 4) I think we can afford that for just one day and think of the PR value the inn gets. I'm considering the "loss" to be part of our advertising budget.

I would say that's very generous of them, and a personal decision to do it or not do it..
I would say "That's wonderful! Thanks for doing even more for our vets!"
I would not worry about this causing any confusion over the original offer. Everyone understands limited quantities.
Personally, I'm offering all our rooms (just 4) I think we can afford that for just one day and think of the PR value the inn gets. I'm considering the "loss" to be part of our advertising budget.
I agree with Pollyana. You have to stick to your rules for this. It is up to the innkeeper to decide what they want to do beyond the requirement. Personally if I were open, I would give every room away to a vet for the night. ANd, yes..chalk it up to advertising and marketing...for sure :)

The only comment I'll make is I don't think you should ask the webmaster to keep track of any one-off offers like that. I think that will make his head explode.

The only comment I'll make is I don't think you should ask the webmaster to keep track of any one-off offers like that. I think that will make his head explode..
Oh I agree . . . .can't have an exploding head.
smileystooges.gif

I say stick to the original premise and then let individual innkeepers do whatever else they like.Offer all rooms or give a discount..whatever it is up to them.

They should say they filled the quota or give the room for free.
Edited to add that my take is anything else is bait and switch.

I feel it needs to be a free room. That is what this is all about. They could blog or twitter or facebook any other offer. But I say it has to be a free night.

OK, I waited long enough to see what others said.
My answer was
To retain credibility, I think you would be better off to just say the truth - the allocated rooms have been booked. Let me throw this out to some innkeeper friends for another opinion. It is a wonderful thought but knowing how people think - I am leery that they would hang up saying, "Sure, they said free but now it is half-price."

OK, I waited long enough to see what others said.
My answer was
To retain credibility, I think you would be better off to just say the truth - the allocated rooms have been booked. Let me throw this out to some innkeeper friends for another opinion. It is a wonderful thought but knowing how people think - I am leery that they would hang up saying, "Sure, they said free but now it is half-price.".
Exactly.

I agree to keep it simple. Stick to what is already set up. This makes room for confusion as the word will go around and they will expect another inn to do the same.
And it's not equal - one gets free, others get half price - makes it look like a way to fill rooms midweek, not what the original idea was to promote.
RIki

i say that a b&b who offers two rooms free for vets and both are taken ... if they decide to offer a half off price for a vet it is THEIR promotion and nothing to do with the b&b's for vets. will the vet understand? hard to say. will they think it was a bait and switch? hard to say. can you prevent a b&b from doing this? no.
not to discourage a b&b from participating, but this must be very clear to the vets, to the public, and to the b&b. anything other than a free stay on the specified date is a private promotion ...
a b&b who insists on a BOGO is NOT participating in the program. this is a private promotion of that b&b riding on the coat tails of a very generous program. and just not appropriate.
this should be clearly stated on the b&b for vets website.
you know it was bound to happen
just as you know that some potential guests will ask to stay a dfferent nite instead or will want two nites for free not just one. have spoken to a married couple, both vets, who want to reserve 2 free rooms and then bring another couple along and switch partners so they get two free rooms. i told them NO NO NO ... they know it's not right.
smileystooges.gif

etcetera ....

i say that a b&b who offers two rooms free for vets and both are taken ... if they decide to offer a half off price for a vet it is THEIR promotion and nothing to do with the b&b's for vets. will the vet understand? hard to say. will they think it was a bait and switch? hard to say. can you prevent a b&b from doing this? no.
not to discourage a b&b from participating, but this must be very clear to the vets, to the public, and to the b&b. anything other than a free stay on the specified date is a private promotion ...
a b&b who insists on a BOGO is NOT participating in the program. this is a private promotion of that b&b riding on the coat tails of a very generous program. and just not appropriate.
just as you know that some potential guests will ask to stay a dfferent nite instead or will want two nites for free not just one. have spoken to a married couple, both vets, who want to reserve 2 free rooms and then bring another couple along and switch partners so they get two free rooms. i told them NO NO NO ... they know it's not right.
smileystooges.gif

etcetera .....
One innkeeper e-mailed me asking what to say - they put up half their rooms and all were booked but those calling AFTER that were ANGRY because they could not have a room.
I told her to stop saying they had given half their rooms and they were now booked. Told her to say ALL her rooms were booked - and all the rooms allocated for this were!

smileystooges.gif

etcetera .....
Many B & Bs were already doing something for Veterans Day well before this promotion. For years, we have had a promotion with one free night with the purchase of a paid night for the entire week surrounding Veterans Day for any veteran or active duty. We joined the cause just to lend support and all our rooms on the 10th are gone now, free, all one night stays. We continue to offer our own regular two for one promotion for that week, as we do every year. Nothing bait and switch or riding coattails about it. We do let callers know that our own promotion is in addition to the free night promotion, which is now "sold" out. We're getting a lot of callers. They don't seem to just check availability.

smileystooges.gif

etcetera .....
Many B & Bs were already doing something for Veterans Day well before this promotion. For years, we have had a promotion with one free night with the purchase of a paid night for the entire week surrounding Veterans Day for any veteran or active duty. We joined the cause just to lend support and all our rooms on the 10th are gone now, free, all one night stays. We continue to offer our own regular two for one promotion for that week, as we do every year. Nothing bait and switch or riding coattails about it. We do let callers know that our own promotion is in addition to the free night promotion, which is now "sold" out. We're getting a lot of callers. They don't seem to just check availability.
i should clarify. no offense intended. you explain to potential guests and that's the difference. it's wonderful what you've been doing for years and what you're doing now.
i am talking about a place that wants to be included in the publicity the b&b's for vets is getting but does not want to offer a free room on the one night. if they only want to offer a free room if the vet books a second night, a bogo, they are not part of that specific promotion. and where did i see something like that? i am not seeing it here now. ah, it's in the email thread.
i was asked by a local who has a b&b ... could she ''get in on the publicity'' but when they call to book stipulate that they had to buy a room the night before or the night after. i told her no. it has to be at least one room for a free night's stay. unconditionally, to be part of the b&bs for vets. why not do that? no, she said, can't afford to. she just wants to 'ride coat tails' ... if she wants to do her own offer, her own rules, she should advertise her own special.

Ok, I was away from the forum aparently when this all came about. I don't know anything about the "B&B for Vets" promotion! Is it too late? I'd love to participate. I don't have any rooms booked for the 10th yet.

Back