Construction Season starts on Tuesday - good news and bad news

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheBeachHouse

Reaction score
The Good News - we are closed for two months!!! For the first time in 4 years since we bought the place.
We will end up with three beautiful bathrooms in place of three embarrassingly tired bathrooms. - One of which includes a toilet that is a bid lopsided! One other gets bad reviews because the show is a cement base and is very small and dark. The third currently has a carpeted floor and a claw foot tub with shower added. Yuck! That will add up to 5 of 6 bathrooms finished!!! In four years!
The Bad News - the money is killing me. But that's how you get it done.
Construction is tough. But at least it's on the other side of the wall - inn only. Not in my 'home.'
Side by side - I'm seeing way more good news than bad news.

Take deposits. It keeps the cash flow going in the off season.

I’m not sure but it seems that the construction would be a capital investment and fully deductible in 2018. Any accountan5 out there with an opinion on how the new tax law might affect us ?

The stress is starting to show. Stairs are all covered with plastic and dust. In fact, the whole house is covered with dust. Three bathrooms are gutted to the studs. Plumber is coming today. Electrician has already finished. We have three toilets in our living room and one on the front porch!
Here's the good news. The construction guys told my husband that they are so happy to see us restore this old house. That means a lot coming from a crew that works in many houses in town. Makes us feel like we are doing the right thing.
You know you think to yourself, the bathroom works fine and I could use the money. Then you think, but we need to keep the house upgraded and healthy. So it helps to hear that outsiders appreciate what you are doing.
Speaking of keeping the house healthy, we did find knob and tube wiring behind the wall in the antique bathroom. We expected as much, which is one of the many reasons for the project, but it's good to get it fixed and safe.

It will all be worth it in the end. I would love to change our bathrooms, but that's not in the picture in the near future. We have very old plumbing and my husband is afraid of what would happen if we started messing with it. Make sure you take a lot of pictures.

The stress is starting to show. Stairs are all covered with plastic and dust. In fact, the whole house is covered with dust. Three bathrooms are gutted to the studs. Plumber is coming today. Electrician has already finished. We have three toilets in our living room and one on the front porch!
Here's the good news. The construction guys told my husband that they are so happy to see us restore this old house. That means a lot coming from a crew that works in many houses in town. Makes us feel like we are doing the right thing.
You know you think to yourself, the bathroom works fine and I could use the money. Then you think, but we need to keep the house upgraded and healthy. So it helps to hear that outsiders appreciate what you are doing.
Speaking of keeping the house healthy, we did find knob and tube wiring behind the wall in the antique bathroom. We expected as much, which is one of the many reasons for the project, but it's good to get it fixed and safe..
There are no original owners left for our house, but later owners have commented on how they love to see what we're doing and how good it is to know the house is being improved a little at a time.

Speaking of keeping the house healthy, we did find knob and tube wiring behind the wall in the antique bathroom. We expected as much, which is one of the many reasons for the project, but it's good to get it fixed and safe..
There are no original owners left for our house, but later owners have commented on how they love to see what we're doing and how good it is to know the house is being improved a little at a time.
It's nice to hear. When I see the house, I see cobwebs and scuff marks and carpets that need cleaning. Others see the upgrades and polish we've contributed. Gotta get out of my own way. :)

We bought from the estate. When the city asks when repairs or changes were done, we tell them to ask the dead lady.

It's nice to hear. When I see the house, I see cobwebs and scuff marks and carpets that need cleaning. Others see the upgrades and polish we've contributed. Gotta get out of my own way. :)
TheBeachHouse said:
Grin!

Back