Consulting Existing Innkeepers

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cherry64

Reaction score
I remember seeing something like this on the last board, but I thought I would bring it up again.
regular_smile.gif
What would be the best way to approch an existing innkeeper and ask for a sit down for questions or perhaps a "innternship"? I think it would be great if I could go and offer to help out around an inn, free of charge, in exchange for the experiance of it all. How does that sound? Would it work? How would I best approch an innkeeper about this? Or I am being to hopeful about this.
embaressed_smile.gif

I Think someone else asked a similar question here the other day. If you keep reading maybe you can see what she was told.DO search and you can find it.
I think it is good to do lots of research, attend aspiring classe and if possible do some sort of interning with an experienced innkeeper. If you have a particular place in mind, send them an email / or snail mail with a proposal and see what kind of response you get.
Look here: https://www.innspiring.com/node/948
https://www.innspiring.com/resources/aspiring-innkeeper-info/test-drive-your-dream-job-vocation-vacations

There was a thread recently... I don't remember where it was, either.
Do plenty of research beforehand, read everything posted here, be familiar with the basics.
Call (or write) the innkeeper midweek (not during breakfast) to set up an appointment to come and interview and take a tour. Have a few basic questions and let them do all the talking. I learned as much in my tours as I did from my interviews.
I am very greatful to the innkeepers who talked with me before I opened, and would be happy to do the same with aspiring innkeepers... provided they contact me in advance, are respectful of my time, and are seriously aspiring!
=)
Kk.

Wasn't this just covered in depth on here for the last two weeks? See the two threads Catlady posted also the thread about INNSITTERS.

It was on the Should I try innsitting topic. Also posted under the topic: Test drive your dream job - vocation vacations

Here's how I look at the experience you are wanting...it is going to take a LOT of my time to show you the ropes. I did this when I wanted to learn 'bookselling'. I offered to work for free to learn the biz, but she ended up paying me to work there, which I thought was really nice.
You would need to show me that you had done some research and weren't just jumping on a bandwagon. I've had a few people contact me looking for the experience but not realizing they were going to have to give up their weekends to do this. Hmmmm. Wonder what they think the job consists of?
Anyway, depending on how in-depth you want to go with this...shadowing someone for a weekend, doing all of the work, just having a chat, there are different levels of participation. You could do the vocation vacation that was posted a couple of days ago, you could contact an innkeeper you know and arrange a sit-down where you are just chatting for an hour or so. You could also plan to stay for a weekend and pay for your room.
Whatever you do, there should be some sort of gift for the innkeeper for their time...a dinner GC or something of that caliber.

i don't think there was info re interning on the should i try innsitting thread. i'm an experienced innkeeper ... and i think i could handle whatever came up on my own.
as in intern, you want to get what? room and board in exchange for your helping where needed? and you would have on the job training. sounds good to me.
a lifetime ago, taking secretarial classes, we all had to intern some place for a month. it was not for pay ... it was for class credit. i learned a lot, some of the girls did not. depends on where they were sent.
you might try this website there is a posting there NOW that would work for you. i think it sounds like a good idea ... if you are sincere, i could have used you in summers past!

Thanks for the replies. I don't know how I missed that whole thread on it from earlier..I looked, I really did.
confused_smile.gif
Maybe it was the mention of competitors that threw me, I hadn't even opened that thread. *sigh*
Anyway, I have read the books and the forums and I have gone to a local innkeeping seminar that was quite informative and I (and my DH) still want to do this. I do realize that shadowing (good word Bree!) would take alot of time and effort, especially weekends, but isn't that what innkeeping is all about?
teeth_smile.gif

I have looked into doing a vocation vacation, even before I knew about that particular website, but have a hard time with the amount of money it would take just to go work for the weekend, not counting traveling money. $1000+ or so isn't the kind of money I can just throw around. I believe the closest inn to me that offers a package like that is 4+ hours drive away.

Thanks for the replies. I don't know how I missed that whole thread on it from earlier..I looked, I really did.
confused_smile.gif
Maybe it was the mention of competitors that threw me, I hadn't even opened that thread. *sigh*
Anyway, I have read the books and the forums and I have gone to a local innkeeping seminar that was quite informative and I (and my DH) still want to do this. I do realize that shadowing (good word Bree!) would take alot of time and effort, especially weekends, but isn't that what innkeeping is all about?
teeth_smile.gif

I have looked into doing a vocation vacation, even before I knew about that particular website, but have a hard time with the amount of money it would take just to go work for the weekend, not counting traveling money. $1000+ or so isn't the kind of money I can just throw around. I believe the closest inn to me that offers a package like that is 4+ hours drive away..
Where are you located, generally speaking? How long of a committment are you talking about? One weekend? A season?

confused_smile.gif
teeth_smile.gif

I have looked into doing a vocation vacation, even before I knew about that particular website, but have a hard time with the amount of money it would take just to go work for the weekend, not counting traveling money. $1000+ or so isn't the kind of money I can just throw around. I believe the closest inn to me that offers a package like that is 4+ hours drive away..
cherry64 said:
confused_smile.gif
teeth_smile.gif

I have looked into doing a vocation vacation, even before I knew about that particular website, but have a hard time with the amount of money it would take just to go work for the weekend, not counting traveling money. $1000+ or so isn't the kind of money I can just throw around. I believe the closest inn to me that offers a package like that is 4+ hours drive away.
This is my saying, and you can quote me on it for vocation vacations "It's a heckuvalot cheaper than buying an inn"
But you saw the cost involved, so perhaps you could approach one of the inns like you mention above. I do not see how you can do it without paying for it. This is a profession and the owner of an inn would be "training" you and DH.
Unless you want to clean all the rooms for the entire month. ? It has to be a trade of sorts, for what you are asking. Are you a masseuse? You might find some trades in that! I WISH!
Keep pushing the idea around maybe someone will pop up with something for ya.

confused_smile.gif
teeth_smile.gif

cherry64 said:
confused_smile.gif
teeth_smile.gif

This is my saying, and you can quote me on it for vocation vacations "It's a heckuvalot cheaper than buying an inn"
But you saw the cost involved, so perhaps you could approach one of the inns like you mention above. I do not see how you can do it without paying for it. This is a profession and the owner of an inn would be "training" you and DH.
Unless you want to clean all the rooms for the entire month. ? It has to be a trade of sorts, for what you are asking. Are you a masseuse? You might find some trades in that! I WISH!
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
Thanks for the thread, Cherry64! I had been curious about innternships, as well, but most of them do seem a bit pricey, especially when you're saving for a downpayment and travelling all over the region looking at turnkeys.
I wouldn't mind doing room flips and answering phones for a couple of days (saving the innkeeper an hour or two, perhaps, once I'd learned the ropes) since I'll have to work on my technique anyway, but from the innkeeper's perspective it's hard to tell whether we'd be worth our keep.
So, current owners, is there anything besides money that would make us aspirings of value to you? I would have thought cleaning rooms could be a fair trade, but I can't prove it without a housekeeping resume. What about data entry, marketing, photography, sewing, anything else we happen to have a knack for and could do for you while shadowing you?
Come on, who doesn't like a good barter?
teeth_smile.gif

You will learn so very very much from this fourm. I am still learning and I have been open for over 7 years.
I am sure you can find someone would do a barter. I would love to barter for a shadow weekend. I would like someone to come when we are full so they could get a better idea. We don't have very many phone calls now that we have on line booking. Gotta love on line bookings!!!!!!!!!
Look to state associations for help finding someone.

confused_smile.gif
teeth_smile.gif

cherry64 said:
confused_smile.gif
teeth_smile.gif

JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
Thanks for the thread, Cherry64! I had been curious about innternships, as well, but most of them do seem a bit pricey, especially when you're saving for a downpayment and travelling all over the region looking at turnkeys.
I wouldn't mind doing room flips and answering phones for a couple of days (saving the innkeeper an hour or two, perhaps, once I'd learned the ropes) since I'll have to work on my technique anyway, but from the innkeeper's perspective it's hard to tell whether we'd be worth our keep.
So, current owners, is there anything besides money that would make us aspirings of value to you? I would have thought cleaning rooms could be a fair trade, but I can't prove it without a housekeeping resume. What about data entry, marketing, photography, sewing, anything else we happen to have a knack for and could do for you while shadowing you?
Come on, who doesn't like a good barter?
teeth_smile.gif

If you are going to trade for something you are good at for training in something I am good at, then I need web designing, photography, decorating & landscaping skills.

confused_smile.gif
teeth_smile.gif

cherry64 said:
confused_smile.gif
teeth_smile.gif

JBJ said:
But I totally get what she's talking about. I thought the $500 we spent on a weekend innkeeping class was high (as it turns out, after I did more research, it WAS high). We didn't do any shadowing, the innkeepers just TOLD us what they would do in a day.
Then again, it needs to be repeated that if you don't have the money to do the research, you will have to find the money to pay for the mistakes you make. I don't think we were going to back off at that point, anyway. Even if the class was a disaster, I think I would have found another class with a different perspective.
If someone is spending the money to do the traveling to look at properties, why not combine the 2? See if the owners at the properties you are looking at would do a trade of sorts.

i don't think there was info re interning on the should i try innsitting thread. i'm an experienced innkeeper ... and i think i could handle whatever came up on my own.
as in intern, you want to get what? room and board in exchange for your helping where needed? and you would have on the job training. sounds good to me.
a lifetime ago, taking secretarial classes, we all had to intern some place for a month. it was not for pay ... it was for class credit. i learned a lot, some of the girls did not. depends on where they were sent.
you might try this website there is a posting there NOW that would work for you. i think it sounds like a good idea ... if you are sincere, i could have used you in summers past!.
"If you have taken a "seminar" in running a B&B, you will need to forget most of what you learned."
This came straight from the site regarding one of the inns that is looking for help...

you might try this website there is a posting there NOW that would work for you. i think it sounds like a good idea ... if you are sincere, i could have used you in summers past!.
"If you have taken a "seminar" in running a B&B, you will need to forget most of what you learned."
This came straight from the site regarding one of the inns that is looking for help...
penelope said:
Totally disagree unless they are talking about a 'buy a B&B' seminar. If you attend a hands-on or at least innkeeper-led SMALL seminar, you will come away with invaluable info. (Even if you think the price was high, as I did.) I think it would be difficult to come away from a large seminar with the kind of info we did at a very small one (we were the only aspirings in the 'class'). Heck, we were the only guests at the B&B after the first night. But, it completely depends on who is leading the seminar and what their goal is.
Which is good info for aspirings...find out what the hosts of the seminar expect from it...Just your money? You will buy a property they have listed? You will be an endless 'market' for their services? Or that you will 'get' the essentials of owning a B&B and be able to make an informed choice from there? (Some attendees realize a B&B is too SMALL and that they are really looking at a boutique hotel or some such.)
I know a few folks on here lead seminars. It would be interesting to know if attendees of large, convention-style seminars feel they got the info they needed or if they felt lost. Have any of the presenters been contacted by aspirings who are now running their inns and what was the commentary?

confused_smile.gif
teeth_smile.gif

cherry64 said:
confused_smile.gif
teeth_smile.gif

JBJ said:
But I totally get what she's talking about. I thought the $500 we spent on a weekend innkeeping class was high (as it turns out, after I did more research, it WAS high). We didn't do any shadowing, the innkeepers just TOLD us what they would do in a day.
Then again, it needs to be repeated that if you don't have the money to do the research, you will have to find the money to pay for the mistakes you make. I don't think we were going to back off at that point, anyway. Even if the class was a disaster, I think I would have found another class with a different perspective.
If someone is spending the money to do the traveling to look at properties, why not combine the 2? See if the owners at the properties you are looking at would do a trade of sorts.
Bree said:
JBJ said:
#1 there is no better cash value than this forum right here! You can ask, and seasoned innkeepers ANSWER. HOW ABOUT THAT! It is incredible.
Or you can go get intensive classes at a PAII conference or regional or state conference. PAII being very costly to attend if you have to travel there. State and regional still cost $. But you do not have hands on experience.
If I hired an innsitter would I hire someone who took classes or helped you make breakfast and clean rooms? That right there is the proof in the puddin'. You can slam that on your resume and it sticks.
Day to day operations are more valuable to me than the training seminars. Sure when you go to OPEN your own Inn you need those classes! They are invaluable.
My quote is representational of the many innkeepers who buy an inn because baking cookies, sipping lemonade and entertaining is something they like to do or are good at.
Then they have something that is not so easily gotten rid of, and they get themselves in a bind. THAT is what my quote references.
Why would someone toss away their day job and buy an Inn and then realize it is not for them? This is what vocation vacations is about. Those wanting to change career paths. It is also a GIFT CERT idea for those who have everything. Work on a pit crew, run a bar and grill, Captain a sailing ship. It is a FUN adventure. And - unbeknownst to many of us, running an inn is considered fun! ha ha If we can only look back that far and recall it. (I am just kidding - it is fun. It has more oppty for fun than most jobs! It is what WE make it. That is what the beauty of owning your own inn is all about!)

that is just the opinion of those innkeepers. i don't agree. but it 'reads' like they want someone with no preconceived ideas of how things should be done ...

well, there was no way for me to know what state you are in ... but that doesn't mean there wouldn't be an opportunity like that where you are. and i don't believe you have said where you are? how about posting your OWN free advert on the website i gave you? or do up a little intro note proposing an internship and sending it off to some nearby places?

that is just the opinion of those innkeepers. i don't agree. but it 'reads' like they want someone with no preconceived ideas of how things should be done ...
seashanty said:
And, to me, that is a 'bad' thing. They are looking to mold the aspiring into what THEY think is the right way to run a B&B. (If that is the intent of saying you'll need to forget what you learned.) And we all know there are hundreds of 'right' ways to run a B&B!
wink_smile.gif

There is a well of 'core knowledge' and after that it's all icing to make your place work in your niche.

Back