Consumables

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
If you know, what is the total cost per room or per person for consumables? Meaning anything they can eat, drink or use that you provide, per stay. (not linens and such)
For those who added senseo or similar pod one cup coffee machines, have you seen a drastic increase in per person cost?

Per double room ours works out at $32.00 (give or take a few cents) that is linens, chamber maid, if they take every single shampoo,soap thing and every tea coffee thing as well as every thing on the breakfast menu.

Great question. For us it depends on the season...the people here over the winter months (on a STEEP discount!) consume everything they can get their hands on...you've seen this in action yourself here. Summer time, it's actually much less...they're up and out. Go figure.
Typed as we have ONE set of people here and snow all day...they will eat cookies and burn firewood because it's no use going out, everything is closed. This is when it would have been better to just be closed. Sometimes you just can't win.

Not, not the cost per room, not chambermaid, linens, cable tv, just consumables, things they may use, or eat. ie breakfast, snacks, etc
wink_smile.gif

If you were doing your taxes, what is the avg/the mean, what you would put down as the consumables per person cost?

We offer flowers, artisan chocolate and port turndown, sparkling water and non alcoholic drinks in the room, chocolate kisses, soap and vinotherapy shampoo that I can think of off the top of my head. In the tasting room they have more soft drinks, popcorn and cookies we bake and put out as eaten. I think this comes to per room around $22
RIki

I KNOW I should know this but I just don't have the time or the energy to sit down and figure it out - I just charge all my B&B related foods as "cost of goods sold" but I have never sat an averaged it out based on occupancy. spoilage etc ...

With fruit basket in the room, pretzels, dish of Hershey kisses (sometimes empited/sometimes hardly touched), and the breakfasts I serve (I now do bacon & sausage so my costs HAVE gone up), I think it may be $8 to $10 per person depending on the season.
Fruit is my big cost. Each fruit basket gets 2 bananas and 4 or 5 apples depending on how many it takes to look decent (size of apples). Whether the apples are $1.29 per lb (fancy Washington apples) or $0.79 per (Wv apples in the Fall) @ the produce store or $1.99 per at the local grocery when I cannot get to the produce store makes a huge difference as does the cost of the fresh fruit for the breakfast fruit. Mangoes will vary between 50 cents per to $1.50 per (over that they stay in the store), if I have a "run" of guests meaning 6 to 8 breakasts in the near future, i will spend the $3.99 for a papaya to add to the mango, kiwi (usually 3 for .99), and honeydew or canteloupe (depending on price/size for the price). I buy blueberries when they are on sale and freeze them so will add a few blueberies for color or strawberries when they are on sale - sometimes berries are BOGO.
Edited to add: I do not use the little soaps & shampoos so I cannot judge that. I buy those items by the gallon and fill the cylinders as needed. I just bought a gallon of soap - $18.75 + shipping. With a new pump (after 13 years the old one broke) the total was $28.14. I pay less than $10 per gallon for the shampoo & conditioner locally (cannot get the soap ;ocally.)

With fruit basket in the room, pretzels, dish of Hershey kisses (sometimes empited/sometimes hardly touched), and the breakfasts I serve (I now do bacon & sausage so my costs HAVE gone up), I think it may be $8 to $10 per person depending on the season.
Fruit is my big cost. Each fruit basket gets 2 bananas and 4 or 5 apples depending on how many it takes to look decent (size of apples). Whether the apples are $1.29 per lb (fancy Washington apples) or $0.79 per (Wv apples in the Fall) @ the produce store or $1.99 per at the local grocery when I cannot get to the produce store makes a huge difference as does the cost of the fresh fruit for the breakfast fruit. Mangoes will vary between 50 cents per to $1.50 per (over that they stay in the store), if I have a "run" of guests meaning 6 to 8 breakasts in the near future, i will spend the $3.99 for a papaya to add to the mango, kiwi (usually 3 for .99), and honeydew or canteloupe (depending on price/size for the price). I buy blueberries when they are on sale and freeze them so will add a few blueberies for color or strawberries when they are on sale - sometimes berries are BOGO.
Edited to add: I do not use the little soaps & shampoos so I cannot judge that. I buy those items by the gallon and fill the cylinders as needed. I just bought a gallon of soap - $18.75 + shipping. With a new pump (after 13 years the old one broke) the total was $28.14. I pay less than $10 per gallon for the shampoo & conditioner locally (cannot get the soap ;ocally.).
Don't forget coffee in your estimate.
wink_smile.gif

Sorry, that is something we should track but I don't think we could. All of the consumables are lumped together so the cleaning materials would be in there as well.
The coffee machine is a bit easier to track. That is about $30/month not including water & electricity costs, just the pods. So, about $1/day more than before. Not bank-breaking at all.

Edited to add: I do not use the little soaps & shampoos so I cannot judge that. I buy those items by the gallon and fill the cylinders as needed. I just bought a gallon of soap - $18.75 + shipping. With a new pump (after 13 years the old one broke) the total was $28.14. I pay less than $10 per gallon for the shampoo & conditioner locally (cannot get the soap ;ocally.).
Don't forget coffee in your estimate.
wink_smile.gif

I didn't forget coffee. Remember I get green coffee beans and roast them. The most expensive bean I will buy is a Hawaiian that is about $10 per pound. Most are in the $4 to $7 range. Shipping ends up being just a couple dollars because I get 15% off if I spend a certain $$ amount - easy to do - and that just about covers the shipping. I get 3+ roasts per pound and 2 pots of coffee per roast. I roast when DH or I am going to be in the kitchen anyway (since the day I roasted my first roaster - I do not use that particular bean any longer).

Since I charge $25 for a third person in a room, I guess that's my answer. Definitely something that we should calculate precisely. I will delegate to the spreadsheet king.

Since I charge $25 for a third person in a room, I guess that's my answer. Definitely something that we should calculate precisely. I will delegate to the spreadsheet king..
I was thinking that of all people, you'd have the precise numbers for this. ;)

Back