Continuing a conversation...

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alibi Ike

Reaction score
...hours later.
A guest called while I was out earlier today. I explained she could make a reservation online to be sure she got the room she wanted. She just called back and said, 'Are you home?' And that is all she said. Not, 'Hi, this is Sue, we spoke earlier while you were at the store...'
Why would anyone think I am going to answer such an odd question as, 'Are you home?'

Questions like these always make me want to have a quicker wit - cos imagine all the fun responses you could come up with - "who wants to know?" I am assuming you had to take her info over the phone cos she didn't want to book on-line!

Questions like these always make me want to have a quicker wit - cos imagine all the fun responses you could come up with - "who wants to know?" I am assuming you had to take her info over the phone cos she didn't want to book on-line!.
She needed to be sure we would not charge the card as the person arriving is paying for herself and the person making the reservation is not paying. Yes, she had to call me to make the reservation to be sure she wouldn't be charged.

Questions like these always make me want to have a quicker wit - cos imagine all the fun responses you could come up with - "who wants to know?" I am assuming you had to take her info over the phone cos she didn't want to book on-line!.
She needed to be sure we would not charge the card as the person arriving is paying for herself and the person making the reservation is not paying. Yes, she had to call me to make the reservation to be sure she wouldn't be charged.
Alibi Ike said:
So what will happen if this person is a no show? Would you charge her card? That is a problem when dealing with a 3rd party. And what's the sense in taking her info if it is not to be used. After being burnt with a reservation like this I have since made sure they understand that if they do not want the deposit on their card, I must have the right card on file before the date I take the deposit. They are sent a confirmation for the reservation which I require a reply accepting the terms for phone reservations.

Alibi Ike said:
So what will happen if this person is a no show? Would you charge her card? That is a problem when dealing with a 3rd party. And what's the sense in taking her info if it is not to be used. After being burnt with a reservation like this I have since made sure they understand that if they do not want the deposit on their card, I must have the right card on file before the date I take the deposit. They are sent a confirmation for the reservation which I require a reply accepting the terms for phone reservations.
I told her that the card she gave me would be charged if the guest did not come. This was after she gave me the cad number. She said she was the guest's boss so she would be sure she explained to the guest that a no-show would not be tolerated.

She just called back and said, 'Are you home?'
In the dys of cell phones, this is not s stupid a question s it sounds. Stupid beginning of a conversation, but logical - if you are at the grocery, you are not able to take a reservation.

How about are you in the toilet? I know you all have been in a public restroom with someone near you in a stall on a cellphone conversation. SICK SICK SICK!

Back