contract for monthly guest

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

westendhaus

Reaction score
Has anyone ever had a guest, that stayed a whole month, ask for a contract?
If yes, what did you give them?
Thanks!

I did a week-to-week for a welder's helper. We did not have a contract.
What I do with my weekly rate people (a rare occurance BTW) is this is the rate with NO breakfast. I will put out coffee and juice. IF I have other regular guests the weekly guest is welcome to join us for breakfast. I have pruchased a box of cereal in the past and milk.
What you offer should depend on #1 - rate you give them #2 - how early would you have to be up to provide that coffee (or could you set a timer) #3 - if offer includes breakfast if other guests being served - how often would this happen #4 - housekeeping & sheet change once a week. (How comfortable will YOU be with someone inn-house every day/night.)
Make sure it is worth your while to do it as you will tie up a room that could possibly be giving you full rate, will increase your utility costs, what is the season? If your slow season no problem but if it is your high season.... Mine was the smallest room (full-size bed) with shared bath in high season but absolutely worthwhile (she was an excellent guest).

My confirmation served as a contract. I loved my monthly guests, no breakfast, or continental or packed continental or paid extra for full. Did an "occupied" turn daily, changed sheets weekly and towels if they left on floor/in basket, or weekly. I did boxed simple lunches on request. I made any good friends and some stayed every week for 6+ months, sometimes going home on weekends sometimes not. They had a good rate and works well if you need the business like that. Never once had an issue and it paid the bills.

Where we are we are not allowed to rent by the month, only the day. Diff rules apply to us if we do, so you would have to break up the stay, give them a night off the contract in the middle, here.
A month stay I would recommend payment in advance and a deposit for damage/cleaning.
PS Welcome to the forum!
How cute your last name is Poteat and Poteet is a place in Texas too! :)

I did extended stays but never one as long as a month. The detailed email confirmation and signed guest registration served as a "contract". Every extended stay was not the same - it depended on what the guest needed - for guest services and the rate. I often did these extended stays for guests that were here for our university or other business. It was a great addition to my bottom line, especially in slower times. These folks were some of my favorite guests.
Our one remaining B&B here is doing long term "guests" (really more like extended rentals) for the majority of their guest rooms now. They are down to the same number of strictly B&B rooms that we had. There has been a building boom here for new, nicely appointed, suite type hotels which really hurt the B&Bs.

Be very careful about a month long contract. In many states it would put you under tenant landlord laws. It's much better to do a week-by-week, then just extend it each week if it's mutually agreed on. That would also give you an out if these folks turned out to be guests you wish were not there.
Like JB, we are not licensed for long term rental.

Be very careful about a month long contract. In many states it would put you under tenant landlord laws. It's much better to do a week-by-week, then just extend it each week if it's mutually agreed on. That would also give you an out if these folks turned out to be guests you wish were not there.
Like JB, we are not licensed for long term rental..
Same thing here...different rules for 30 day rentals or longer. Including the applicability of lodging taxes. So check into that with your municipality. For collecting lodging taxes, they had to be checked out and then checked back in under a different reservation at day #29. Otherwise, they become a tenant and it's a different ballgame.
Good luck!

Welcome!
Some areas do exclude monthly rentals within short term rental licenses so check with your city/county to see if you are able to rent by the month. They have that law here but turn a blind eye to it at times when normal monthly rentals are running at max. (i.e. after storms, during major construction and filming.)
Your confirmation is a contract but I would make sure to have signed copies for both the guest and yourself. If your terms are different (and they should be) than what you post on your site and in your brochure, make sure it is CLEARLY stated so there is no confusion.
If it were me I would have full payment upfront, no refunds for partial stay and subject to damage/cleaning fees.

I do the week-to-week for just that reason - do not want to get into the landlord/eviction problem and I also do not want to deal with the State over taxes. Plus, we never knew when the job would end. Over 30 days the lodging tax does not apply BUT then the landlord stuff does. No thank you. Week-to-week extentions with one week notice of departure.

I do the week-to-week for just that reason - do not want to get into the landlord/eviction problem and I also do not want to deal with the State over taxes. Plus, we never knew when the job would end. Over 30 days the lodging tax does not apply BUT then the landlord stuff does. No thank you. Week-to-week extentions with one week notice of departure.
gillumhouse said:
I do the week-to-week for just that reason...
Can ResKey handle that? Do you have it set to not let them reserve more than a 7-day stay? If so, how do you avoid losing them at reservation time if they wanted to stay longer than 7 days?

Actually in my case for guests that stayed more than ( I think) 17 or so consecutive were exempt from hotel tax. Great for the customer .. No landlord tenant issues and I believe the landlord tenant issue is almost a non issue for most inns...

gillumhouse said:
I do the week-to-week for just that reason...
Can ResKey handle that? Do you have it set to not let them reserve more than a 7-day stay? If so, how do you avoid losing them at reservation time if they wanted to stay longer than 7 days?
In RezKey, you can reserve as many days as you wish. I just, in the case of Glenda, added 2 weeks at a time until it got close to one rez I already had for 2 rooms - I moved her rez into the big room since it was open for that week. She knew about one night that was on the books for all 3 rooms - we were going to move her stuff into the storage room for that night (and then 2 of them cancelled). She was laid off before we ran into a problem. I then un-reserved the nights I had her booked in advance. We miss her and she has texted how she misses us.

Back