Conumdrum -

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gillumhouse

Reaction score
I am having an attack of should I or shouldn't I. Here is my quandry. I just took a1-night reservation for 2 rooms that are coming to visit an attraction that is approx 25 miles from me. She found me because there is a link to my site on the web site of where they are going to visit. She specified the coffee as one I had listed on my site because her Mother had lived in that country for a while. So what is my problem? There is another B & B within less than 10 miles (probably more like 5) of that attraction. They are not linked (probably never occurred to her). I am feeling torn whether I should tell the guest about the other B & B (have no idea if she even has availability) or should I just shut my mouth (and tell the other B & B .to contact the attraction for a link after the rez leaves). It has been a VERY empty winter....... Opinions?

no ... no ... and no!
she is your guest ... you marketed (in a smart way) to get her booking. it is lovely that you want to be a benefactor of the other place, but why? will you tell every guest who books with you after following that link that there is a closer place to the attraction? no. should you tell your competition to put links up? no. you have a link on that website for a reason. you were smart enough to be aware and take advantage of the opportunity.
this reminds me of when i was young and there was an election. two of us were nominated. to be 'nice' i voted for the other candidate, thinking she would be 'nice' and vote for me. doh! she voted for herself! and i lost by one vote ... mine.
be your gracious self, serve her that wonderful coffee and be glad she booked with you sweetie.
heart.gif

Please don't! As guests, we are so excited to "find" a great B and B; she picked you, be proud! Besides, it might give a weird vibe to be given an unrelated option: like walking into a great diner, and the first thing they say is that you might like to eat somewhere else!
regular_smile.gif

Don't do it!!!!!! It was your marketing skills/idea that made her find you. After she found your website, she liked what she saw and wants to experience your place. I get guests all the time that choose to stay with us because they want what we offer, instead of another b&b that might be closer to their target area. Take it as a compliment and pat yourself on the back that she chose you.

Thank you all. DH told me the same thing. I just felt she may be ticked to find a B & B 10 miles away when I am 22 (I finally looked it up). The other one is not as close as I thought although half the distance as me.
From now on, I will go on the I got 'em, I will keep 'em!

I agree with the others. She chose you possibly for more reasons than distance. You might really turn her off by suggesting she go elsewhere, too!
Riki

i just want to remind you, this guest has made an emotional connection with you ... she has mentioned her MOTHER. we all know how smells can evoke a memory. how many times have guests reacted to the smell of cookies baking or bacon sizzling or coffee?
now just focus on making sure you have that special coffee brewing and will you be giving her a little of it to take home? will she buy a mug maybe?

i just want to remind you, this guest has made an emotional connection with you ... she has mentioned her MOTHER. we all know how smells can evoke a memory. how many times have guests reacted to the smell of cookies baking or bacon sizzling or coffee?
now just focus on making sure you have that special coffee brewing and will you be giving her a little of it to take home? will she buy a mug maybe?.
I am the only lodging with a link on that site - and that is how she found me. Thanks for the suggestion - I WILL do an extra roast of Zimbabwe coffee for Mom. I was going to have a corsage but I think the coffee will be a better idea - and I have lready paid for that, no extra cost to me!

now just focus on making sure you have that special coffee brewing and will you be giving her a little of it to take home? will she buy a mug maybe?.
I am the only lodging with a link on that site - and that is how she found me. Thanks for the suggestion - I WILL do an extra roast of Zimbabwe coffee for Mom. I was going to have a corsage but I think the coffee will be a better idea - and I have lready paid for that, no extra cost to me!
Yes, go with the coffee...why bother with a corsage for someone who just made a normal reservation? Save yourself the $$.

Keep the reservation--ditto for what everyone else said and to boot you are a great markater and should reep the rewards of your hard work.

Back