converting to a restaurant kitchen

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a stainless three tub sink and in the am's they are ALL full of stuff when I need to wash bacon or raw eggs off my hands. So maybe I need four! But really the rqmt s/b hands free washing, oh I long for the day to have a little foot pedal to tun the water on..
Get one of those new faucets that you tap on anywhere with anything...spoon, nose, elbow.

I got a quick reply from the health inspector. She says I would need to upgrade my equipment (not sure whether she means everything) and replace cabinets with food grade cabinets or shelving. I would need a prep table and a dishwashing area (3 vat sink or 2 vat sink with commercial dishmachine.) Walls must be clean and smooth. Sounds expensive but I will keep the idea afloat.
Thanks for all your thoughts.
~Karen.
Health inspector probably means that your equipment has to be restaurant quality, not household. That includes photos like Seashanty posted of the fridge and so forth. And, they usually want stainless steel and shelving that can be sterilized vs. wooden cabinets. Not to rain on your parade, but this could get into some bucks and I'd be sure to have everything spelled out so that you didn't invest a lot of dinero before finding out that you need something else and don't have the room for it in your allotted space. Best of luck with whatever you decide!

You may also have to install a back-flow trap in the plumbing. This is differnt from the grease trap. A back-flow trap is required for restaurants and many other enterprises and is to prevent sanitary sewer water from back-flowing into the drains of the restaurant etc (or the chemicals etc used at the funeral home from getting into the sewers). This reg went into effect quite a few years ago now - while I was still on City Council. Again - health Dept and everything in writing. You may also be required to have a mop sink.

I have a stainless three tub sink and in the am's they are ALL full of stuff when I need to wash bacon or raw eggs off my hands. So maybe I need four! But really the rqmt s/b hands free washing, oh I long for the day to have a little foot pedal to tun the water on..
I am actually going to check out the new motion activated ones!

we bought a thing that when you put your hand under it it dispenses hand cleaning stuff it is cool by Dettol and i picked it up at the supermarket

Back