Cook Books?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hillbilly

Reaction score
Has anyone here every had a cook book made that you sell at your property? If so is it worth it? Where did you get them printed?

There is a beautiful new cookbook by Brewster House in Freeport, Scott drops in from time to time on the forum. Here is a new blog article by Delicious Dishings about their breakfasts and cook book!
Here is their online gift shop

Yes, I did mine in Publisher. It was just a small one I had printed up locally. Sold like hotcakes. Anytime someone asked for one of my breakfast recipes, I pointed them to the cookbook :) Now there were a few cheaters who actually took it to their room and copied the recipes ..that's ok. I did one for one of my clients and they have already gone through about 200 of them in the first year they printed them.

I sold tons of our Assoc cookbook Vol II (sold quite a few Vol I also but not as many as Vol II). Then I made my own small one and it sold well - until a computer crash ate it. I still have on copy and need to sit down and type it in again - NOW I have an auto backup. I printed a few at a time.
All I had to do was wave toward the "gift shop" (the Hoosier in the dining room) as I served breakfast and said, "The recipe is in the cookbook." I did my cookbook in WORD and bought a stapler that would staple in the center of a landscape format 8.5 x 11 page. I sold it for $7.50. Association cookbooks were $15.

I have a little cookbook I sell. I used to use two rack cards and a Word doc, but I recently got 4x6 postcards made. I printed them mostly to use as covers of the cookbook, but they are formatted like a regular postcard so I've also put them in the rooms for guests to use. I punch two holes and tie them together with curling ribbon.
I sell them for $5 each and they sell pretty quickly... when I'm not giving them away!
When I have a charity I'm willing to support, I give them a gift basket with a pound of my house label coffee, a cookbook, and a few other small things.
=)
Kk.

We don't but I would think as long as the price is about $10 it would sell well as its the sort of money people will spend quickly and easily. I would say though make sure you are making money on it! Also if you are having them printed rather than doing it yourself rember you have to pay up front for them and store them!

Thank you everyone! We have guests all the time asking if we have one. I guess it is something we need to do!

Thank you everyone! We have guests all the time asking if we have one. I guess it is something we need to do!.
Bob said:
Thank you everyone! We have guests all the time asking if we have one. I guess it is something we need to do!
There are plenty of services on line who will do this for you as well, send them the recipes and they compile it. Without using a costly printer to print them. If you do this Bob, will you consider adding country anectdotes and such to the book? To make it clever and cute and gift worthy? I love those type books. I think people buy cook books for more gifts than for themselves, perhaps the others here can verify this?

Thank you everyone! We have guests all the time asking if we have one. I guess it is something we need to do!.
I agree with JB about this. You can do some pretty cool online books now that can include photos and sayings, etc. I would have loved to create a book like that with our before/after renovation photos also. My son and his wife created a book with their engagement photos to use as their guest book at their reception. It was not expensive. It is so cool!
I did give our guests a large photo postcard from Vistaprint with one of our most requested easy recipes that I was willing to share.
wink_smile.gif

Back