Cool guest

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ukmaineiac

Reaction score
We have cool guest I feel comfortable mentioning staying with us next Thursday for an event at our local bookstore.
It's a public, advertised event so I feel OK about posting this .... but I'm using my pseudonym because - well just because.
http://www.mainecoastbookshop.com/

That will be fun! Get some books signed - they make great presents if you know some fans. Their music takes me back to my childhood - my mom is a big fan.

That group was one of my all time favorites. Congratulations, and I'm sure he'll have a wonderful time with your great sense of humor and wonderful hospitality.

Cool beans!! I like his music!! The music of my yout' as they say on the Sout' side of Chicago!

holy
potty-mouth.gif
but in a good way!
wow how awesome is that?

Now, here is where it gets WEIRD. There's a lot of info here, but for those of you who believe in the "small world" syndrome this will confirm it once and for all.
  1. The other "P" was a regular at a bar DH ran last year.
  2. Our guest's daughter is now well known in her own right. Here's where it gets long, but bear with me.
    My last family home was a tiny village in the UK.

Last week, I had long-lost family friends stay with us from that village (I used to baby sit their daughters). I thought that was cool enough, until they shared one of their favourite stories.
    Apparently, our immediate next door neighbours ran an Anglo-American summer school in Cambridge and at the end of each semester would have a party at their home for their students. One year, one of the students was running late and, "missed the bus", Our family-friend was pulled into service to meet her at the local train station - he maintains he will never forget the experience.
    That Girl was our guest's daughter.
  3. When I first moved to the US, I met a really cool guy at a social event. He is / was a'cellist (so am I) and half Canadian (so am I). We exchanged email addresses and have "talked" once every 4 or 5 years since then. He is now "That Girl's" primary collaborator and music partner.
...... and none of this has any bearing on our guest staying with us - it is ALL co-incidence.
It really IS a small world.

Now, here is where it gets WEIRD. There's a lot of info here, but for those of you who believe in the "small world" syndrome this will confirm it once and for all.
  2. Our guest's daughter is now well known in her own right. Here's where it gets long, but bear with me.

Last week, I had long-lost family friends stay with us from that village (I used to baby sit their daughters). I thought that was cool enough, until they shared one of their favourite stories.
    Apparently, our immediate next door neighbours ran an Anglo-American summer school in Cambridge and at the end of each semester would have a party at their home for their students. One year, one of the students was running late and, "missed the bus", Our family-friend was pulled into service to meet her at the local train station - he maintains he will never forget the experience.
  3. When I first moved to the US, I met a really cool guy at a social event. He is / was a'cellist (so am I) and half Canadian (so am I). We exchanged email addresses and have "talked" once every 4 or 5 years since then. He is now "That Girl's" primary collaborator and music partner.
...... and none of this has any bearing on our guest staying with us - it is ALL co-incidence.
It really IS a small world..
I firmly believe that there are people in this world who are connected in wild and wooly ways. I'm not one of them, but Gomez is. Since we've been here, ONE person has come thru the door for whom there was a wacky connection to me. Gomez generally finds at least one guest/month that he can trace a connection to.
We can't forget the former poster here whose best man is more than likely a relation to me and we (she and I) lived in multiple places at the same time but never met. But that's an odd thing to happen to me. My life is a lot of 10 degrees of separation!

I firmly believe that there are people in this world who are connected in wild and wooly ways. I'm not one of them, but Gomez is. Since we've been here, ONE person has come thru the door for whom there was a wacky connection to me. Gomez generally finds at least one guest/month that he can trace a connection to.
We can't forget the former poster here whose best man is more than likely a relation to me and we (she and I) lived in multiple places at the same time but never met. But that's an odd thing to happen to me. My life is a lot of 10 degrees of separation!
It was just so odd having friends that I hadn't seen in 25 years, from a place no one has heard of, staying with me out of the blue and the first reminiscence starts with ... "I'm sure you haven't heard of this person, but .... "

It was just so odd having friends that I hadn't seen in 25 years, from a place no one has heard of, staying with me out of the blue and the first reminiscence starts with ... "I'm sure you haven't heard of this person, but .... "
THAT is always the fun thing. People from out of the way places who we know showing up at the door. We just had a couple from Wales and now I want to go see their town. Wales always strikes me as 'out of the way'! Today is the day for 'out of the way' as we also have a couple from Manitoba!

Oh, awesome! I love them! And I have even stood at the foot of the "real" P the dragon!
In college, a good friend's mother used to design and make their on-stage costumes. Once, while at her house, she showed me a project she was working on: using left over fabric from one of the costumes, she was making a set of placemats, hot pads, etc., but said that she didn't think she would send them. Years later, she did send them -- to ME as a wedding gift. I still use them, but often wonder if she gave them specifically, or if she even recollected that I knew anything about them! :)

AWESOME! My dh loves that group! I actually met them when I was in college at a small venue in Washington, DC and heard them perform in Northern California on one of their reunion tours many years later.
The degrees of separation are uncanny - one of my last guests grew up not far from me but went to a different high school in the same time frame. He was amazed that he found someone here who knew his hometown. So, I was talking to him about how we always seemed to find some connection to our guests (mostly because we've lived all over the country) and he proudly announced to me that now I was only one degree of separation from Kevin Bacon, since he and his wife know him. lol!
teeth_smile.gif

Enjoy this special guest and take a photo if you can!

That is awesome!
I met one of my dearest friends at a company dinner. As usual I sat at a table wehre I knew no one. I started talking to the man sitting next to me, fnding out he was retired Air Force I asked where he was from originally. He said eastern Ohio. OK, where in eastern Ohio. A town you never heard of, Salineville. I told him I knew Salineville (it really is an eyeblink) and said Route 39. You DO know Salineville!! Our friendship was cemented and continued until he had the termerity to die. He found both of my motorcycles for me. I had a motorcycle put into the flowers we sent.

I do know. There is much that doesn't appeal personally. I can't control this, but I would much rather this chain of thought or opinion is not pursued and I'd much rather the link hadn't been added.

There are many in the entertainment industry - music mostly - that I WILL hold my nose and listen to and maybe even pay to hear. Acting is a different story because that involves my time in addition to my money and they are just reading someone else's words. I can listen to and enjoy music and allow them to believe whatever. Let's face it - there is someone, somewhere, who considers each of us to be a radical jerk - unless they are someone like Tipsy or SeaShanty. We get guests who are of opposite political poles but we bite our tongues and smile as we ring up the revenue.

There are many in the entertainment industry - music mostly - that I WILL hold my nose and listen to and maybe even pay to hear. Acting is a different story because that involves my time in addition to my money and they are just reading someone else's words. I can listen to and enjoy music and allow them to believe whatever. Let's face it - there is someone, somewhere, who considers each of us to be a radical jerk - unless they are someone like Tipsy or SeaShanty. We get guests who are of opposite political poles but we bite our tongues and smile as we ring up the revenue..
heart.gif
I e-mailed PT and apologized for being a PITA. I'm kicking myself for posting something that I thought would be fun, but at the same KNEW could turn on me. Honestly, I should have stuck with my usual philosophy of keeping things to myself. I am so NOT upset with PT. I believe in saying what you believe, I just try to avoid it in the public eye whenever possible. My fault for "sharing" something that didn't need to be shared.

There are many in the entertainment industry - music mostly - that I WILL hold my nose and listen to and maybe even pay to hear. Acting is a different story because that involves my time in addition to my money and they are just reading someone else's words. I can listen to and enjoy music and allow them to believe whatever. Let's face it - there is someone, somewhere, who considers each of us to be a radical jerk - unless they are someone like Tipsy or SeaShanty. We get guests who are of opposite political poles but we bite our tongues and smile as we ring up the revenue..
heart.gif
I e-mailed PT and apologized for being a PITA. I'm kicking myself for posting something that I thought would be fun, but at the same KNEW could turn on me. Honestly, I should have stuck with my usual philosophy of keeping things to myself. I am so NOT upset with PT. I believe in saying what you believe, I just try to avoid it in the public eye whenever possible. My fault for "sharing" something that didn't need to be shared.
It was wonderful that you shared! I would have been thrilled to have him at MY inn and I do not share ideology but I DO love the music and would have been turning cartwheels to have him here.
We share JOYS and try hard to keep ideology out of here. I thank you for sharing the excitement. If EVER you get another "COOL GUEST" Tell all!!!

Back