Cooties vs Bed Bugs

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
HuH? If there are bed bugs in a room, they will be everywhere. Just because you triple sheet doesn't really mean a thing. Put an open suitcase on the floor or sit it on a chair and they may be jumping right in there with your clothes as well.
Everyone is so freaking out over this. Innkeepers will just have to be vigilant about cleaning and checking their rooms...that is all that can be done. If you find them exterminate....not much else to do.

HuH? If there are bed bugs in a room, they will be everywhere. Just because you triple sheet doesn't really mean a thing. Put an open suitcase on the floor or sit it on a chair and they may be jumping right in there with your clothes as well.
Everyone is so freaking out over this. Innkeepers will just have to be vigilant about cleaning and checking their rooms...that is all that can be done. If you find them exterminate....not much else to do..
I agree. I'm much more concerned with STINK BUGS and when they will be finished this year. They are a nightmare.

Everyone is so freaking out over this. Innkeepers will just have to be vigilant about cleaning and checking their rooms...that is all that can be done. If you find them exterminate....not much else to do..
catlady said:
HuH? If there are bed bugs in a room, they will be everywhere. Just because you triple sheet doesn't really mean a thing.
Maybe I got a different reading from the article than you did. The article's premise is, why are people making such a big deal over bedbugs when the germs on the never-washed bedspreads are a much bigger concern (to the author of the article).
It's not an article about preventing bedbugs. It's an article about triple-sheeting being more sanitary than double sheets and a bedspread that's never washed.
At least that's what I got from it.

catlady said:
HuH? If there are bed bugs in a room, they will be everywhere. Just because you triple sheet doesn't really mean a thing.
Maybe I got a different reading from the article than you did. The article's premise is, why are people making such a big deal over bedbugs when the germs on the never-washed bedspreads are a much bigger concern (to the author of the article).
It's not an article about preventing bedbugs. It's an article about triple-sheeting being more sanitary than double sheets and a bedspread that's never washed.
Arkansawyer said:
catlady said:
Ya know Arkie it scares me when we think alike. :)
Yes, people, the article is about WHY IS EVERYONE UP IN ARMS OVER A FEW INSTANCES OF BED BUGS when you can put a crime scene lamp up for bodily fluids and see a lot worse in the room?!
Me thinks the forum is skimming and not really getting the gist.
"Worry about gunga" as DH says, not a few bed bugs in the news.

I still don't get AT ALL how triple sheeting does anything??? It seems like it protects the middle blanket but still not the comforter??? I tried You Tube, I need a visual on this triple sheeting thing...

catlady said:
Yeah I got it :) Still...triple sheeting really isn't going to protect you from too much. Only to avoid contact with the top comforter. Hampton Inn I believe is the place that now advertises they wash EVERYTHING between guests. Top Comforters / bedspread as well. That's enough to get my business.

I still don't get AT ALL how triple sheeting does anything??? It seems like it protects the middle blanket but still not the comforter??? I tried You Tube, I need a visual on this triple sheeting thing....
a visual on this triple sheeting thing...
I looked for an example but couldn't find one either. We did triple sheets all the time.
  1. Fitted sheet first on the bed,
  2. then the flat sheet, top with the blanket,
  3. then place the second flat sheet over the blanket.
  4. I fold the top flat sheet edge over the top of the blanket edge,
  5. then take the top edge of the bottom flat sheet and fold it over the top flat sheet.
It is like a sandwich for the blanket. Then my decorative comforter goes over it all.

I still don't get AT ALL how triple sheeting does anything??? It seems like it protects the middle blanket but still not the comforter??? I tried You Tube, I need a visual on this triple sheeting thing....
I looked for an example but couldn't find one either. We did triple sheets all the time.
  5. then take the top edge of the bottom flat sheet and fold it over the top flat sheet.
It is like a sandwich for the blanket. Then my decorative comforter goes over it all.
We use quilts or bedspreads, so then that would go on top of the third sheet?
Maybe this is like the cruise ships...so everything is just all white? I think I get it, just don't see what you think that's protecting you from...now you're making a nice warm sandwhich for all the germs on the blanket to reproduce in!!! Just kidding...

Maybe this is like the cruise ships...so everything is just all white? I think I get it, just don't see what you think that's protecting you from...now you're making a nice warm sandwhich for all the germs on the blanket to reproduce in!!! Just kidding...
Don Draper said:
on the blanket to reproduce in!!!
taking you out of context for a moment. But the blanket should start out clean and is protected between guests as it is sandwiched in between the sheets, or for another example a duvet cover that is washed with every new guest, so the duvet itself, or feather downy inside is not washed but the protective cover is washed.
To quote you out of context for a reason, those are the cooties that are found on reg quilts, blankets, comforters, etc.
If I began again, I would triple sheet every room every time.
PrimlandGuestRoom_0.jpg

See the white on the top - that is a cover sheet over a blanket which has under it a flat sheet, then the reg fitted sheet is on the bed itself. Hard to show it here. I believe they put the colored duvet on the end of the bed to protect it from luggage, and then at turn down they do put it away in the trunk below it.

Don Draper said:
taking you out of context for a moment. But the blanket should start out clean and is protected between guests as it is sandwiched in between the sheets, or for another example a duvet cover that is washed with every new guest, so the duvet itself, or feather downy inside is not washed but the protective cover is washed.
To quote you out of context for a reason, those are the cooties that are found on reg quilts, blankets, comforters, etc.
PrimlandGuestRoom_0.jpg

See the white on the top - that is a cover sheet over a blanket which has under it a flat sheet, then the reg fitted sheet is on the bed itself. Hard to show it here. I believe they put the colored duvet on the end of the bed to protect it from luggage, and then at turn down they do put it away in the trunk below it.
Thanks I think I finally get it. Isn't it just easier to have multiples of your quilts (as we do) and wash in between guests? I don't like all white for our place, too generic.

Yes! Who knows what happens with those hotel room quilts and comforters. Ewwwwwwwwwww! A much bigger concern for me than bed bugs.
This bed bug thing is really getting hyped up! Not that it's not a real concern but there are other things that seem to be more common and maybe even worse.

Since I'm a 'cover-kicker' myself, and I've never slept in triple-sheets where I haven't un-sandwiched the blanket before dawn, I don't believe triple-sheeting is the answer to the cleanliness issue.
One of our guests is a reporter for USA Today - she came out with a story recently on bedbugs.

Don Draper said:
PrimlandGuestRoom_0.jpg

Thanks I think I finally get it. Isn't it just easier to have multiples of your quilts (as we do) and wash in between guests? I don't like all white for our place, too generic.
I did not use all white. I had coordinating colors for each room.

Everyone's different. We use all cream linens. I like the look of the different shades, and that way we don't have to keep track of what goes in what room. To me they look much cleaner than colored. Same with our towels. The rooms don't look generic to me.
It's faster for me to wash a couple extra sheets than having multiple bedspreads for each room. The spreads take loger to wash. Our guests have commented on the triple sheeting, especially those in the nursing field.
RIki

Everyone's different. We use all cream linens. I like the look of the different shades, and that way we don't have to keep track of what goes in what room. To me they look much cleaner than colored. Same with our towels. The rooms don't look generic to me.
It's faster for me to wash a couple extra sheets than having multiple bedspreads for each room. The spreads take loger to wash. Our guests have commented on the triple sheeting, especially those in the nursing field.
RIki.
I'm a little confused, Riki. I love the idea of triple sheeting, but don't do it now, mostly because my current sheet sets don't have a matching extra top sheet (but maybe it wouldn't have to match...hmm) and because I already have all the laundry I want. My question is when you say "it's faster for me to wash a couple extra sheets than having multiple bedspreads for each room." I went to your website to see how you make the beds, and your pictures do show bedspreads (or comforters). So isn't the triple sheet an extra daily wash item and you still have the comforter that needs cleaned just as often? (Perhaps you were meaning the blanket that's sandwiched, rather than the top bed cover).
....What a lovely place you have, by the way!!

RIki.
I'm a little confused, Riki. I love the idea of triple sheeting, but don't do it now, mostly because my current sheet sets don't have a matching extra top sheet (but maybe it wouldn't have to match...hmm) and because I already have all the laundry I want. My question is when you say "it's faster for me to wash a couple extra sheets than having multiple bedspreads for each room." I went to your website to see how you make the beds, and your pictures do show bedspreads (or comforters). So isn't the triple sheet an extra daily wash item and you still have the comforter that needs cleaned just as often? (Perhaps you were meaning the blanket that's sandwiched, rather than the top bed cover).
InnBloom said:
I love the idea of triple sheeting, but don't do it now, mostly because my current sheet sets don't have a matching extra top sheet (but maybe it wouldn't have to match...hmm) and because I already have all the laundry I want.
I have mostly floral sheets too, but if I were to triple sheet (and I consider it all the time but never really bite the bullet due to the laundry costs) I would buy king size flat sheets in cream or white monogrammed with the initials of the inn. Then if you wanted to eliminate the bedspread or quilt, you could.

RIki.
InnBloom said:
Thank you!
You could purchase white or cream sheets and have that one be the first one down, then the blanket, then your patterned sheet. THat way the clean cream or white would fold over and look like a nice trim on the pattern. I actually think that would look better than a matching patterned sheet.
We wash the comforter once a month or when needed. They are waaaay too cumbersome to try and wash and dry every time. In the winter we use duvets and comforters which can be washed more often (duvet covers are as thin as a couple of sheets)
Bear in mind we are two rooms and will max out at five. Others with more rooms may not have the time to do all this...
RIki

RIki.
InnBloom said:
Thank you!
You could purchase white or cream sheets and have that one be the first one down, then the blanket, then your patterned sheet. THat way the clean cream or white would fold over and look like a nice trim on the pattern. I actually think that would look better than a matching patterned sheet.
We wash the comforter once a month or when needed. They are waaaay too cumbersome to try and wash and dry every time. In the winter we use duvets and comforters which can be washed more often (duvet covers are as thin as a couple of sheets)
Bear in mind we are two rooms and will max out at five. Others with more rooms may not have the time to do all this...
RIki
Both good ideas, thanks. I don't actually use floral sheets, usually white or ivory with a faint same color striping. (I like striped sheets because the stripes ALWAYS run head to foot, which cuts WAY DOWN on the number of times you have to start over on putting on the fitted bottom sheet. I like to use down alternative blankets, and I can see that a nice top sheet would give a beautifully clean feeling. And I like the idea of the monogram. Lots to think about!

catlady said:
We do the same thing. We stagger the sheets as we lay them down and fold down the top of the bedding about 16" in such a fashion that each sheet layer is revealed then tuck everything under the mattress with hospital corners at the foot of the bed.
The duvet is folded at the end of the bed. We alternate between solid and prints on the layers so it looks quite Martha Stewart.
For bed bugs, the pillow and mattress covers are more important than triple-sheeting. These are washed regularly in HOT water and bleach.

Back