Corn

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Question JB? What is the difference in our pumpkin verses OZ pumpkin? Does it taste totally different?
If we make it down south I want to have some wonderful corn hush puppies. Ummm I hope they taste as good as I remember them!

Question JB? What is the difference in our pumpkin verses OZ pumpkin? Does it taste totally different?
If we make it down south I want to have some wonderful corn hush puppies. Ummm I hope they taste as good as I remember them!.
Pumpkin? In Australia that is a pumpkin you buy cook and mash, vs a can of pumpkin like we have in the USA.

If we make it down south I want to have some wonderful corn hush puppies. Ummm I hope they taste as good as I remember them!.
Pumpkin? In Australia that is a pumpkin you buy cook and mash, vs a can of pumpkin like we have in the USA.
ok then it is the same kind as we have orange on the out side and yellow to orange inside? Or are they smaller then ours and sweeter?
I buy pumpkin in oct. use it for Halloween then cut it up and cook it. Is that the same kind? Why I ask is some one told me Oz pumpkin is totally different and that it's taste is different.

ok then it is the same kind as we have orange on the out side and yellow to orange inside? Or are they smaller then ours and sweeter?
I buy pumpkin in oct. use it for Halloween then cut it up and cook it. Is that the same kind? Why I ask is some one told me Oz pumpkin is totally different and that it's taste is different.
Flower said:
They are all sorts of pumpkin. I have not see a "jack-o-lantern" type there, that is probably what they are referring to, no they don't have those or eat those. Just like in your squash dept at your grocery store, you have the green outside orange inside and various others. Smaller and larger. NOT GIANT like we grow them for Halloween.
At my inlaws and friends we had squash with every roast. Here is a common eating pumpkin (and they are grown for the flesh, not to be empty to carve like our big punkin's... and there is no canned pumpkin.

Can I take a guess? Cucurbita maxima (probably something like Hubard Squash), Cucurbita pepo, Cucurbita Mixta and Cucurbita moschata (Dickinson squash is usually canned pumpkin). Basically all the squashes including pumpkin come from these families, but they are different. Or it could be referring to winter squash versus summer squash.

Can I take a guess? Cucurbita maxima (probably something like Hubard Squash), Cucurbita pepo, Cucurbita Mixta and Cucurbita moschata (Dickinson squash is usually canned pumpkin). Basically all the squashes including pumpkin come from these families, but they are different. Or it could be referring to winter squash versus summer squash.
Eric Arthur Blair said:
YES Hubard! :)
and squash and pumpkin is used interchangeably for the most part.

Eric Arthur Blair said:
YES Hubard! :)
and squash and pumpkin is used interchangeably for the most part.
The Jack o'lantern ones aren't great to eat, but the seeds are nice :)
The French have one that they call a potiron that I suspect is a hubbard. We don't see them much around here. Make a heck of a soup though.

There are different pumpkins as we know pumpkin in the States. there is the huge to big that are used as jack-o-lanterns and for Halloween decor and then there is the small pir pumpkin. A pie pumpkin is small - max the size of a basketball but mostly the size of a 16 inch softball. - trying to think of another comparison and am drawing a blank.
The larger pumpkins can be cooked down but they are stringier and less flavorful. The pie pumpkin has a smooth flesh, sweeter, and is more orange. I bake them to cut down on the extra moisture in it. Then I puree and freeze in one cup measures - perfect for a recipe. I bake the seeds for DH.
Wash the seeds (7 1/2 cups) and then boil in salted water (5 cups cold water & 1/2 cup salt) for 45 min. (for no salt use just water) Drain and pay dry. Place on a cookie sheet - do not over-crowd. Bake @ 300F until done - they usually "pop" when done. This recipe comes from Geobert's Pumpkin Farm in Schaumburg (I think), Illinois.

Flower said:
They are all sorts of pumpkin. I have not see a "jack-o-lantern" type there, that is probably what they are referring to, no they don't have those or eat those. Just like in your squash dept at your grocery store, you have the green outside orange inside and various others. Smaller and larger. NOT GIANT like we grow them for Halloween.
At my inlaws and friends we had squash with every roast. Here is a common eating pumpkin (and they are grown for the flesh, not to be empty to carve like our big punkin's... and there is no canned pumpkin.
Thank you for straighten it out for me. By George I got it now.
lightbulb.gif
I have seen the dark green skin at the squash farm . So now I know what it is. UMMIe I can't wait to drive there and pick one up.

Flower said:
Thank you for straighten it out for me. By George I got it now.
lightbulb.gif
I have seen the dark green skin at the squash farm . So now I know what it is. UMMIe I can't wait to drive there and pick one up.
Yes they are lovely squash! Hard to cut but worth the flavor in the end.
thumbs_up.gif
I roast them with the skin on vs peeling and using IN a roast pan.

Back