Corners you are willing to cut?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We are not cutting back in guest areas. I frequently have one room, so have breakfast for 2 most of the time. I have found over the last few years that 3 egg omlettes are too big for most people with the rest of the food I provide, so I have cut omlettes to 2 eggs now.
I use what fruit is in season if possible, but not good in the midwest, so I usually end up using apples, bananna's and oranges. Sometimes raw and sometimes cooked for variety.
The breads I use are all homemade, either as bread, muffins or coffee cake.
I use juice from the hispanic section. It is very good and I don't have leftovers because it comes in small servings without being expensive. It is also something most people have never had.
I used to use frozen hashbrowns, but now have gone to using fresh potatoes if I am going to serve a potato dish.
I am already green, except that I do change towels every day. Like Sue, we can be humid and I like fresh and think it is nice. I already use multi use rather than individual soaps and the like. I have a few available and have only had a couple of people use them instead of the multi dispensers.
My basket of extras will continue. I have it in the beverage bar area for everyone to pick from. The guests I have had the last 4 days came without lugagge. It was lost for 2 days, so toothbrushes, etc. came in handy for them..
"My basket of extras will continue. I have it in the beverage bar area for everyone to pick from. The guests I have had the last 4 days came without lugagge. It was lost for 2 days, so toothbrushes, etc. came in handy for them."
I have those out too but, sigh....I had to put little notes on them because some folks that did NOT lose luggage really went shopping in there. It reads, "If you've forgotten something, please help yourself. Otherwise, please leave it for a guest who really needs it. Thank you! :)" I had to play the guilt card...haha! And I hate those dang notes!
I used to put travel toothbrushes in each bathroom, along with travel toothpaste, floss, a vanity pack with Qtips and round cotton pads, disposable razor, and travel mouthwash. The razors, toothbrushes and floss were all getting taken, not used, so they are in the amenities basket. A few rotten apples...haha!

We are not cutting back in guest areas. I frequently have one room, so have breakfast for 2 most of the time. I have found over the last few years that 3 egg omlettes are too big for most people with the rest of the food I provide, so I have cut omlettes to 2 eggs now.
I use what fruit is in season if possible, but not good in the midwest, so I usually end up using apples, bananna's and oranges. Sometimes raw and sometimes cooked for variety.
I use juice from the hispanic section. It is very good and I don't have leftovers because it comes in small servings without being expensive. It is also something most people have never had.
I used to use frozen hashbrowns, but now have gone to using fresh potatoes if I am going to serve a potato dish.
I am already green, except that I do change towels every day. Like Sue, we can be humid and I like fresh and think it is nice. I already use multi use rather than individual soaps and the like. I have a few available and have only had a couple of people use them instead of the multi dispensers.
My basket of extras will continue. I have it in the beverage bar area for everyone to pick from. The guests I have had the last 4 days came without lugagge. It was lost for 2 days, so toothbrushes, etc. came in handy for them..
"My basket of extras will continue. I have it in the beverage bar area for everyone to pick from. The guests I have had the last 4 days came without lugagge. It was lost for 2 days, so toothbrushes, etc. came in handy for them."
I have those out too but, sigh....I had to put little notes on them because some folks that did NOT lose luggage really went shopping in there. It reads, "If you've forgotten something, please help yourself. Otherwise, please leave it for a guest who really needs it. Thank you! :)" I had to play the guilt card...haha! And I hate those dang notes!
I used to put travel toothbrushes in each bathroom, along with travel toothpaste, floss, a vanity pack with Qtips and round cotton pads, disposable razor, and travel mouthwash. The razors, toothbrushes and floss were all getting taken, not used, so they are in the amenities basket. A few rotten apples...haha!
So far I haven't had people clean me out of supplies. But I do show it to them and tell them about it when showing the beverage area. So, I say something like that too, just no notes. Plus you probably have more people than I have at one time, which might feel less noticable. Most of the time I have 1 or 2 guests at a time. Only when something is really happening in town do I have more than that.

So far I haven't had people clean me out of supplies. But I do show it to them and tell them about it when showing the beverage area. So, I say something like that too, just no notes. Plus you probably have more people than I have at one time, which might feel less noticable. Most of the time I have 1 or 2 guests at a time. Only when something is really happening in town do I have more than that.
Typically, it does happen when we have more guests but my suspicioun is that it's usually one room. It is not the people that stay in B&Bs all the time, either. You just know these things
wink_smile.gif

That's their cover story...no way that I could know who it was because there are plenty of folks here.
shades_smile.gif

First off, I do not believe my business is going to be down. I had more reservations on the books by mid-January than ever before. We are right now 1 room night ahead of 2008. I will tell you in December if I was correct in my assessment.
We have so little waste that I cannot imagine what I could cut back - even on our side unless of course it was no more pudding. We already recycle, compost, and if those kids show up this Spring - I WILL spend the money to get them to pull up all the poison ivy they can find so neither guests not i will end up scratching. We have a bumper crop of the stuff. We keep the thermostat turned down, the A/C off, line dry when possible, DH drinks powdered milk (same as skim milk, we just add the water), our veggies mostly come from the "let's get rid of" rack at the produce store, I save money for a freezer by renting freezer locker for $50 per year (that is less than the electric bill and cost of freezer) in the town were I am going to the veggie store all the time anyway. When blueberries are on sale and when cranberries are available (holidays) I stock up and fill the freezer locker.
When the kids were home, the grocery chain near us would put the half gallon cartons of milk on half price the day before it went out of date. I used to buy everything they had and put it in the freezer. THAT helped a lot. They don;t do that here - darn it!.
It sounds like you do really well being frugal. How does the frozen milk hold up? Someone told me I should buy a bunch of milk and freeze it but then I read somewhere that freezing milk is not recommended.

First off, I do not believe my business is going to be down. I had more reservations on the books by mid-January than ever before. We are right now 1 room night ahead of 2008. I will tell you in December if I was correct in my assessment.
We have so little waste that I cannot imagine what I could cut back - even on our side unless of course it was no more pudding. We already recycle, compost, and if those kids show up this Spring - I WILL spend the money to get them to pull up all the poison ivy they can find so neither guests not i will end up scratching. We have a bumper crop of the stuff. We keep the thermostat turned down, the A/C off, line dry when possible, DH drinks powdered milk (same as skim milk, we just add the water), our veggies mostly come from the "let's get rid of" rack at the produce store, I save money for a freezer by renting freezer locker for $50 per year (that is less than the electric bill and cost of freezer) in the town were I am going to the veggie store all the time anyway. When blueberries are on sale and when cranberries are available (holidays) I stock up and fill the freezer locker.
When the kids were home, the grocery chain near us would put the half gallon cartons of milk on half price the day before it went out of date. I used to buy everything they had and put it in the freezer. THAT helped a lot. They don;t do that here - darn it!.
It sounds like you do really well being frugal. How does the frozen milk hold up? Someone told me I should buy a bunch of milk and freeze it but then I read somewhere that freezing milk is not recommended.
I did this for years when we were in Illinois and the kids were all at home. All are alive and well and the freezing of the milk was not a once in a while thing. It is a liquid.

There was a huge sale on gallons of milk at a grocery store (husband delivers bread for the "real" job and goes to grocery stores daily, so he sees alot of the "reduced" or "sale items) for $2.56/gallon--now that is a bargain, and with all the casseroles, breads, cookies and such I thought-hey, can we freeze them. Well in the not so distant past there where only carton 1/2 gallon milk and my aunt used to freeze them all the time. So we thought when we first opened if we could freeze the gallon juggs. We tried and because of the expansion of the liquid vs freezing the jug would open. So this time we thought, hey if we take like 1/2 cup of the milk out then it would freeze fine right?
We have 2 gallons frozen in the freezer. I do the same as Gillum house, anything that I can get on sale or in the reduced section we will buy and freeze. We don't go out to eat AT ALL and we try to be frugal with everything else.
Question-can you freeze eggs or whipping cream that has not been whipped? Have not tried this yet, but thinking about it. Any suggestions?

There was a huge sale on gallons of milk at a grocery store (husband delivers bread for the "real" job and goes to grocery stores daily, so he sees alot of the "reduced" or "sale items) for $2.56/gallon--now that is a bargain, and with all the casseroles, breads, cookies and such I thought-hey, can we freeze them. Well in the not so distant past there where only carton 1/2 gallon milk and my aunt used to freeze them all the time. So we thought when we first opened if we could freeze the gallon juggs. We tried and because of the expansion of the liquid vs freezing the jug would open. So this time we thought, hey if we take like 1/2 cup of the milk out then it would freeze fine right?
We have 2 gallons frozen in the freezer. I do the same as Gillum house, anything that I can get on sale or in the reduced section we will buy and freeze. We don't go out to eat AT ALL and we try to be frugal with everything else.
Question-can you freeze eggs or whipping cream that has not been whipped? Have not tried this yet, but thinking about it. Any suggestions?.
birdwatcher said:
Question-can you freeze eggs or whipping cream that has not been whipped? Have not tried this yet, but thinking about it. Any suggestions?
I don't know about freezing the eggs, but you can freeze whipping cream but it will not whip when you thaw it out

Thanks, know about the egg whites, will to see about whole eggs of course without the shell. Thought that whipping cream would not work in the caton, but have a difficult time with frozen when whipped and not having that "freezer" taste.

Thanks, know about the egg whites, will to see about whole eggs of course without the shell. Thought that whipping cream would not work in the caton, but have a difficult time with frozen when whipped and not having that "freezer" taste..
birdwatcher said:
Thanks, know about the egg whites, will to see about whole eggs of course without the shell. Thought that whipping cream would not work in the caton, but have a difficult time with frozen when whipped and not having that "freezer" taste.
Sometimes it is just better to go with fresh, not frozen. You *may* save some money buying in bulk/on sale, but not if the food doesn't taste good or you can't do with it what you wanted.

Back