Coronavirus?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Much of this remind me of a tale Maxine tells from her childhood. One of her brothers was sick with a childhood illness, all the neighbor kids ignored the illness and came and played except one whose family kept them home to be safe, yet of all the kids, the child who didn’t come to play was the only one to catch the illness.

Our town is normally thriving right now and it’s dead! Hardly any reservations coming in at all. This isn’t good!

Our reservation calls dried up this week.
Right now our April & May, which are certainly not super-busy, are almost completely empty.

They had not actually booked yet, but I got an e-mail today from the grandson of my Gillums who was talking about coming in April or May. They are cancelling their trip due to the virus. They are over 60 so such is life. Not a hit to my revenue as I never charge them - he spent a lot of time here with his grandparents so for him it is coming home. His kids DO pay.

Right now our April & May, which are certainly not super-busy, are almost completely empty..
PhineasSwann said:
Right now our April & May, which are certainly not super-busy, are almost completely empty.
Well, our market is the aarp crowd and they are being told to stay home. I almost, but not quite, feel guilty for being out on the road.
At a restaurant tonight the locals were commenting on ‘good crowd for a Tuesday.’ The bar was busy and there were 6 tables taken on the restaurant side.
But, yes, April is dead for us as well. May is about usual.

More news from the road - dinner last night the host seated every table next to each other, no space. At breakfast this morning we were the only guests. Then 3 other rooms showed up. Where did they sit? Right next to us! Whole dining room available and one group actually changed tables to sit right next to us! This is a situation where if I backed up my chair to stand up I was in kissing distance of the person at the next table.
My take on this is that until they get sick, no one is changing their habits.

More news from the road - dinner last night the host seated every table next to each other, no space. At breakfast this morning we were the only guests. Then 3 other rooms showed up. Where did they sit? Right next to us! Whole dining room available and one group actually changed tables to sit right next to us! This is a situation where if I backed up my chair to stand up I was in kissing distance of the person at the next table.
My take on this is that until they get sick, no one is changing their habits..
Morticia said:
I'm at least THINKING about it a lot more. When I went to the drive through bank yesterday, it was the first time I'd ever considered how many people had already touched/sneezed on that tube capsule thing. I'll be getting more paranoid every day for the duration of this :-(

Morticia said:
I'm at least THINKING about it a lot more. When I went to the drive through bank yesterday, it was the first time I'd ever considered how many people had already touched/sneezed on that tube capsule thing. I'll be getting more paranoid every day for the duration of this :-(
You are worried about the tube? Did you not notice that China disinfected and replaced their money in Wuhan. Thankfully, no one touches our CC here, we just tap and pay most of the time... how many people have used those terminals.
And did you read the instructions for those commercial cleaners... you have to leave the surface wet for 4 minutes (which is a good reason to use bleach as a disinfectant... 4 tsp to 1 litre of water) Can you imagine having to keep every surface WET for 4 minutes?

Morticia said:
Interesting that I’m getting slack seeing all the patent disregard all around me.
Some friends are in Italy. They are a couple traveling together. They were seated at separate tables last night for dinner. That makes no sense at all!
And while thinking about that tube, how about the money itself?
A local college has told students to not return to campus after spring break. No idea what they are all supposed to do with many students unable to pay their way home who were planning to stay on campus. We’re now wondering if the college will cancel the graduation ceremony. That’s generally a 3-day weekend booking for us.

I found a little pen-shaped pump bottle (clips on my shirt pocket) of hand sanitizer I picked up at the county fair a few years ago. I never used it, of course. Now I've poured out the old sanitizer and filled it from my bottle of 90% rubbing alcohol. So I'm now carrying it to spay down those door knobs, salt shakers, coins, etc. I run across when I'm out around town.
Still haven't decided if I'm going to spray the currency I receive back as change. Oh, why not!
I'm kind of making this a challenge game. If I end up avoiding getting sick, that's a bonus!
I also looked up how much alcohol you'd have to drink for your blood alcohol level to kill germs. Sadly, it seems if you drink enough to kill the germs, it will also kill you. Life is hard :-(.
Dambed it. I recommended cheap vodka to a man at the pharmacy. He said moonshine is too expensive.

Experts are saying 60% alcohol hand sanitizers. Does that mean you could dilute the vodka and still work.
I have long read that vodka is excellent as a cleaner as well. Well, not for the housekeeper though.
regular_smile.gif

Vodka is 80 proof which is 40% alcohol so even straight, it's not concentrated enough to act as sanitizer. Apparently 60% alcohol is minimum for a quick kill of a susceptible virus on a non-porous surface.

Morticia said:
Interesting that I’m getting slack seeing all the patent disregard all around me.
Some friends are in Italy. They are a couple traveling together. They were seated at separate tables last night for dinner. That makes no sense at all!
A local college has told students to not return to campus after spring break. No idea what they are all supposed to do with many students unable to pay their way home who were planning to stay on campus. We’re now wondering if the college will cancel the graduation ceremony. That’s generally a 3-day weekend booking for us.
WV has 0 (ZERO) confirmed cases. The 2 BIG universities gave told students to vacate by the end of the week ANDto not return after Spring Break. Classes will be online from for classes after the return from Break. The "Dance" playoffs will happen - without fans in the stands. WVU plays Thursday.
Boston,Chicago, & New York have cancelled St Pat's Parades, Illinois has 25 confirmed cases in the ENTIRE State!!! It is now officially a pandemic. WHY????
The most people - other than those who already had one foot on the proverbial banana peel - who had it recovered with no problems. Total panic has been generated. Chicken Little lives. This whole thing is disgusting. Wish in a way that I would be here in 50 years to hear the truth come out about this.
Oh, the County Board of Ed just cancelled ALL out-of-State school trips - our high school band was leaving for Disney next week.

I'm in a college town (35,000 students). Students told that all instruction has been moved online and all University-related travel has been cancelled. Our cancellations are coming in fast and furious. We're about to get shellacked.
The economy of the entire town lives and breathes off the students. This is going to have a massive impact to the area.

Morticia said:
WV has 0 (ZERO) confirmed cases. The 2 BIG universities gave told students to vacate by the end of the week ANDto not return after Spring Break. Classes will be online from for classes after the return from Break. The "Dance" playoffs will happen - without fans in the stands. WVU plays Thursday.
Boston,Chicago, & New York have cancelled St Pat's Parades, Illinois has 25 confirmed cases in the ENTIRE State!!! It is now officially a pandemic. WHY????
The most people - other than those who already had one foot on the proverbial banana peel - who had it recovered with no problems. Total panic has been generated. Chicken Little lives. This whole thing is disgusting. Wish in a way that I would be here in 50 years to hear the truth come out about this.
Oh, the County Board of Ed just cancelled ALL out-of-State school trips - our high school band was leaving for Disney next week.
gillumhouse said:
It is now officially a pandemic. WHY????
We'll know in a few months. We're only in the early weeks of this.
I was headed to a Cher concert in Little Rock Saturday night. I've decided to contribute my ticket to Cher and stay home. She's old and needs the money. I'm not joining 50,000 people at a concert Saturday. If I'm foolish and too conservative, so be it!

Just got the call tonight. One of my last remaining elderly relatives lives in a nursing home and two of the residents have the virus. These are weak and frail people. The outlook is not good. All the other residents, employees, visitors, even random contacts have all been exposed and could be carriers. including the elderly husband of one of the sick residents ... he does not live there. They might have a mild case of this flu and then recover, or might not .... and they might have carried it to someone who can’t fight it off. My cousin went to visit his mother in that home, and may have carried it to his brother who is on dialysis.
You see the problem?
Where I used to live, the town has postponed the St Patrick’s Day Parade and some people are furious. It was postponed a few years ago due to heavy snow and we all had a great time when it was finally held. No amount of explanation will help the angry ones understand.
I work for small venues that host coffeehouses. It looks like we will have to cancel. At least four. I am hoping we can reschedule some. It’s a lot of lost revenue. For us and for the groups scheduled to perform.
Someone is considering rescheduling a celebration of life .... after so much planning. It looks like air travel for some of the family coming in from Ireland will be restricted ... and they want to be there.
A young woman I know works in food service for a college. All the students are being sent home early for spring break. And then they are going to resume classes online. She is worried about lost wages.
My hands are raw from hand sanitizer (they don’t like it at all) ... I would shake hands, grab a little hand sanitizer. Repeat. I’m switching back to soap and water.
We are all in for a rough ride, I fear.
Hold tight, my friends.

Morticia said:
gillumhouse said:
It is now officially a pandemic. WHY????
We'll know in a few months. We're only in the early weeks of this.
I was headed to a Cher concert in Little Rock Saturday night. I've decided to contribute my ticket to Cher and stay home. She's old and needs the money. I'm not joining 50,000 people at a concert Saturday. If I'm foolish and too conservative, so be it!
I am not saying do not use common sense. I would not cram in with 50,000 people either. It just seems so silly to call a pandemic and get the crap scared out of everyone when so few are involved. SeaShanty, I DO sympathize with the nursing home people, they are limiting visitation at nursing homes here. THAT makes sense to protect the frail. I wonder how much has actually been spread due to the PANIC created sending everyone to the stores enmass when they would have most likely stayed home but raced to the store for supplies.
I honestly do not think it would have turned into any big deal had people not been worked up into a frenzy. It is a flu and as with most cases of flu, you have it and get over it.

It’s not the flu. It’s a virus we haven’t seen before. Some get flu-like symptoms. But the respiratory failure is deadly for some. It’s more a form of SARS.
Anyway, I’m no health professional I’ve just been reading up on it a lot, but this one is serious.
I share your aversion to sensationalism. I guess that is what sells on tv .. I don’t watch so can avoid all that. But ... Like the bread and milk buying hysteria when a blizzard is forecast, I just tried three stores and they were sold out of t.p. Why, I don’t know.

It’s not the flu. It’s a virus we haven’t seen before. Some get flu-like symptoms. But the respiratory failure is deadly for some. It’s more a form of SARS.
Anyway, I’m no health professional I’ve just been reading up on it a lot, but this one is serious.
I share your aversion to sensationalism. I guess that is what sells on tv .. I don’t watch so can avoid all that. But ... Like the bread and milk buying hysteria when a blizzard is forecast, I just tried three stores and they were sold out of t.p. Why, I don’t know..
My writing group canceled this month’s meeting. (We’re all of a certain age.)
Folks we’re emailing back and forth which stores have canned and frozen foods. Apparently the shelves are empty in some stores.
i guess we’ll be eating those canned sardines I get for Gomez as gag gifts.

Two reservations cancelled today, mentioning events they were going to cancelled because of coronavirus. I'm sticking to my cancellation policy. Not making exceptions.

I am planning on discontinuing main dining breakfasts and going to a tray at their bedroom door with muffins, pastries and fruit with tea or coffee with sugars, creamers -all to enable ‘social distancing’ with guests. Considering the contagious nature of this infecting 2-3 people on average vs 1.3 with the regular flu I don’t think having people sitting around the table makes a lot of sense right now.
Is anyone else planning on this?

We are one of 10 States with 0 cases. Afterthe 3rd girls basketball game this moring, it was announced the games scheduled for tonight and the rest of the State Finals AND the boys Regionals and next week's State Finals are now postponed. Mountain State (yes, the program on PBS) is cancelled for the next 2 weeks - this will cause a "Best of" to play in April or May. Just about everything is shut down. I apologize but I did not check the tp aisle at Sam's today (the tasting carts were still working, had a lovely hunk of salmon) - I was on my way to a reception at Graceland (the home of Senator John Davis on the grounds of Davis & Elkins College) sponsored by WV Executive magazine. There were about 40 people there but I noticed a lot of unclaimed name tags still on the table when I left. Schools are still open but most entertainments are shut down.

Back