Coronavirus?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am planning on discontinuing main dining breakfasts and going to a tray at their bedroom door with muffins, pastries and fruit with tea or coffee with sugars, creamers -all to enable ‘social distancing’ with guests. Considering the contagious nature of this infecting 2-3 people on average vs 1.3 with the regular flu I don’t think having people sitting around the table makes a lot of sense right now.
Is anyone else planning on this?.
Eugee2 said:
I am planning on discontinuing main dining breakfasts and going to a tray at their bedroom door with muffins, pastries and fruit with tea or coffee with sugars, creamers -all to enable ‘social distancing’ with guests. Considering the contagious nature of this infecting 2-3 people on average vs 1.3 with the regular flu I don’t think having people sitting around the table makes a lot of sense right now.
Is anyone else planning on this?
not planning breakfast delivery ourselves, but maybe limiting the number of guests at a time? Going to a scheduled seating time?
We did discuss afternoon snacks and we may need to rethink how we do those to avoid those people who touch everything.
We did baskets in the rooms about 5 years ago. Might go back to that again.
i mentioned earlier I have seen zero social distancing over the past 10 days. And I’ve seen zero table cleaning after guests depart.
that’s another area - do we remove table cloths and just use the table as is so we can wash it more thoroughly?

Eugee2 said:
not planning breakfast delivery ourselves, but maybe limiting the number of guests at a time? Going to a scheduled seating time?
We did discuss afternoon snacks and we may need to rethink how we do those to avoid those people who touch everything.
i mentioned earlier I have seen zero social distancing over the past 10 days. And I’ve seen zero table cleaning after guests depart.
that’s another area - do we remove table cloths and just use the table as is so we can wash it more thoroughly?
The staggered breakfast is a good idea but in my case guests tend to linger in the kitchen area as it’s actually one of two entrances..
I would think Lysol may then do the trick for you once you’ve cleared the table and placemats.
I forgot to mention to everyone that “ozone generators”- we normally use in rooms for any odor mitigation (lingering perfumes etc) also are equally good sanitizers and actually kill lingering influenza germs in the air and surfaces. See amazon, they’re about $75 and have a lot of other uses post flu era. If someone is hacking, when they leave slip the device in the room for 20mins, come back in an hour to air it out and clean.

Eugee2 said:
The staggered breakfast is a good idea but in my case guests tend to linger in the kitchen area as it’s actually one of two entrances..
I would think Lysol may then do the trick for you once you’ve cleared the table and placemats.
I forgot to mention to everyone that “ozone generators”- we normally use in rooms for any odor mitigation (lingering perfumes etc) also are equally good sanitizers and actually kill lingering influenza germs in the air and surfaces. See amazon, they’re about $75 and have a lot of other uses post flu era. If someone is hacking, when they leave slip the device in the room for 20mins, come back in an hour to air it out and clean.
Our dining room is the only entrance so everyone will still be walking thru at some point. Lingering will be discouraged if we do staggered breakfasts. We can seat 4 rooms at a time so it should work out.

Had a cancellation request last night, taking into account our 30-day policy. Made the decision that until the pandemic passes, we're shortening our cancellation window to 7 days, to give people a chance to still come if things clear up in April.

Eugee2 said:
Our Ozone Generator arrives today from Amazon!! I had already had one on my wishlist for perfume, then was recommended by an innkeeper I know in another group, exactly for this reason, although she has been using for years.

Asof this morning,we are the only State with zero cases. I wonder how long it will take for someone to drag one across the Ohio River or the Potomac River. We have 5 States around us so chance are good to inherit one of theirs just because they can.

I have just podsted on FB that ONLY the Gillum Room will be available for the next month. I just blocked out the other 2 rooms. Perhaps I can get some revenue with folks knowing there will be no other guests. One can only hope.

It’s in our area now. Cancellations are flooding in. You all need to prepare for a plan if this happens. We are trying to figure out a few things.
1) What happens if we get it? What will we do with our guests and future bookings? ( if we have any left)
2) we are throwing the idea around if delivery breakfast to each individual suite.
what is everyone doing to prepare? (not cleaning)

It’s in our area now. Cancellations are flooding in. You all need to prepare for a plan if this happens. We are trying to figure out a few things.
1) What happens if we get it? What will we do with our guests and future bookings? ( if we have any left)
2) we are throwing the idea around if delivery breakfast to each individual suite.
what is everyone doing to prepare? (not cleaning).
All good points. I have no idea what we will do if we get sick.

we’re kicking around breakfast ideas. if this continues into the summer then we’ll be lining up for one of the low cost loans to tide us over.

We ordered paper placemats and will switch to setting the tables and clearing them, rather than the self serve buffet we had previously. But I’m not sure anyone will care if they don’t come to stay. We will see. We are closed now, so I can’t really gage.

We ordered paper placemats and will switch to setting the tables and clearing them, rather than the self serve buffet we had previously. But I’m not sure anyone will care if they don’t come to stay. We will see. We are closed now, so I can’t really gage..
We have also been doing a self-serve buffet. Are you planning on taking orders? Just cooking and plating individual servings du jour? We always have a bread basket with multiple choices... are you going to ask what kind of bread folks want? Maybe we need to do menu choices the night before for juices, hot beverage, etc? Am thinking of bringing preordered breakfast to rooms on the trays that we use for our outside porch tables. Let's brainstorm.

what is everyone doing to prepare? (not cleaning).
Keeping in mind that we are winding down our guest load on purpose after 30 years of hosting, we are closing the two suites in the Main House and only booking our freestanding cottage. We will provide a continental breakfast, stocked in the cottage unless a guest opts for a full breakfast and pays the additional fee. Aside from the recent cancellation from our UK guest no one has canceled...but then again, no one is booked until June. About half of our guests attend classes held locally for mental health professionals so if those guests cancel we will be dipping into our savings for sure.
We are in the process of receiving a deposit from guests arriving in July and I am not going to process the deposit. Instead, I will contact them and tell them we are holding their reservation and deposit until we get closer to the date, to ensure that they, and we are all healthy. The last thing we want is to have sick guests in the cottage or to be sick our selves.
There has been at least one confirmed case of the virus in our area and we are self-distancing as much as possible. States around us are experiencing increasing infections and second homeowners (many with kids) and families are streaming to the area, clearing out the grocery stores and bringing their virus with them. Predictions for exponential growth are on target nationally so I expect that most of our area will be closed soon. We are closed at the moment and will not open until Memorial Day because of this pandemic. Libraries, schools, conferences, and large gatherings are all canceled. The Governor has declared a state of emergency and the health centers/hospitals are gearing up for testing and treatment. This is no time to be welcoming guests!

Cancellations are coming in fast today. One email after another. Summer can't get here fast enough :-(
They say the southern hemisphere is a good test on what warm weather will do to the virus spread, since it's summer there now...or was, it's more like early fall there now. And the heat does seem to have helped some, but it sure didn't kill it out completely :-(

Cancellations are coming in fast today. One email after another. Summer can't get here fast enough :-(
They say the southern hemisphere is a good test on what warm weather will do to the virus spread, since it's summer there now...or was, it's more like early fall there now. And the heat does seem to have helped some, but it sure didn't kill it out completely :-(.
Just reached NY. No sit down dining at restaurants. Take and go. Altho, that info does not appear to have reached the interstate rest areas.
I guess we order a pizza. We have to order breakfast in the hotel and then go away with it.
We are still getting summer reservations. I’m going to block a few more weeks in April as a lot of breweries and restaurants appear to be closed in my town.

Processed 5 different cancellations today between 1 p.m. and 4 p.m.
2 were state employees coming to town for a seminar that's cancelled.
2 were dance instructors coming to town to teach a dance class that's cancelled.
1 was coming to town to see a play that has been cancelled.
But somehow I suspect the monthly bills will still come on time. I'm planning to turn off the heat and air systems. Luckily, my water heaters are "on demand" so they cost nothing when not used. I wish TV cable/internet was "on demand". Trying to think of other ways to cut corners, pinch pennies. I have NOT having fun!

Cancellations here started last week. Hit a peak Friday and Saturday as the ski resorts started closing.
Love, love, love being able to tell callers that booked through an OTA that if they want any refund they'll have to go through the OTA. Then when the OTA calls and asks me if I'll waive the cancellation fee I say no, so they have to get back on the horn and take all the guff from the booker. Have been much more accommodating to those that book direct.
Right now, we have one prepaid 8-person wedding for this weekend (5 rooms) and then that's it -- nothing in April and May. Nothing.
We're going to have to lay off all but 1 of our part-time staff, and cut back the hours of our last person significantly.
Busy cutting things off and working on slashing expenses to the bone. Heard from someone today that Geico and some of the car finance people are granting customers grace periods for the next month or two.

Cancellations here started last week. Hit a peak Friday and Saturday as the ski resorts started closing.
Love, love, love being able to tell callers that booked through an OTA that if they want any refund they'll have to go through the OTA. Then when the OTA calls and asks me if I'll waive the cancellation fee I say no, so they have to get back on the horn and take all the guff from the booker. Have been much more accommodating to those that book direct.
Right now, we have one prepaid 8-person wedding for this weekend (5 rooms) and then that's it -- nothing in April and May. Nothing.
We're going to have to lay off all but 1 of our part-time staff, and cut back the hours of our last person significantly.
Busy cutting things off and working on slashing expenses to the bone. Heard from someone today that Geico and some of the car finance people are granting customers grace periods for the next month or two..
PhineasSwann said:
Then when the OTA calls and asks me if I'll waive the cancellation fee I say no...
I'm not backing down on the cancellation fees either. At this point, it's about all that's paying the bills :-(
But I live in a place that cancels school and locks down at home the first time of the winter when we have a 1/4" snow. Then by the 3rd snow they're going on with normal life like it's...normal life. So I'm hoping after a few weeks of this people will press on...with proper precautions and social distancing (an new term for us all).
Sorry for all the lay offs you had to impose. Really really sad.
I'm writing this during a pause in watching last night's episode of The Walking Dead, so I'm trying to be upbeat as I say...It could be worse.

We are basing our planning that things will not improve until June. And some of the projections I've seen on viral spread suggest this will still be a major catastrophe into the fall.

Checking in ... we are dead. Well, not us personally, but the bookings are gone, place is shut down, no one travelling. We are sandwiched between Washington and California so obviously on the trajectory. DW is pretty stressed, makes it hard to shelter in place ...

I was in the process of typing Surprise! I got a rez! when the phone rang. I had broken my dog policy to take this Tesla.
Tesla giveth and Tesla taketh away. "We realized there is not enough battery to get us that far for our second night. they were coming from Florida. Sigh.
I just had 4-nights at a super low rate for a band in town (I have a kid in the music business - we help others) and that will tide me through this month anyway.
My timing continues to be impeccible - years ago I quit my second job the day my son came home from school to tell me he lost a lens in his glasses in the snow and the furnace fan started rumbling. This time it was contracting for digital marketing and they started with a new website. There went the savings account! Sigh....
And it was announced at 6 PM that we have 1 corona - in the Eastern Panhandle. Probably (my opinion) someone who works in DC.

Back