Costco to accept food stamps nationwide

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
Costco to accept food stamps nationwide
[FONT= 'Times New Roman']About-face for retailer known for catering to affluent bargain hunters
--Associated Press
[/FONT]

Remember the stink with BandB.com selling discounted Gift Cards at Costco and they shared with us the whole benefit of getting the upper end shoppers to see these and have them in hand. hm.

I'm wondering....if you need food stamps how can you justify the (or afford) the $50 membership fee?? That should be going to feed your family!

I'm wondering....if you need food stamps how can you justify the (or afford) the $50 membership fee?? That should be going to feed your family!.
The membership could be paid for by a friend or family member.

I'm wondering....if you need food stamps how can you justify the (or afford) the $50 membership fee?? That should be going to feed your family!.
The news was saying that people who never used food stamps before...aka Costco shoppers...were now using them. So that is why they are taking them. I don't think they are pushing the "normal" users of food stamps to shop there...though who knows...they may offer a special membership deal...they want more people spending $$ at their stores too.

The news was saying that people who never used food stamps before...aka Costco shoppers...were now using them. So that is why they are taking them. I don't think they are pushing the "normal" users of food stamps to shop there...though who knows...they may offer a special membership deal...they want more people spending $$ at their stores too.
Trader Joe's already accepts food stamps and it has always been considered more of a high-end store. I think these places are doing it to maintain market share.

Trader Joe's already accepts food stamps and it has always been considered more of a high-end store. I think these places are doing it to maintain market share.
With a wine called '3 buck chuck' I never thought of Trader Joe's as 'high end'. The only one I've ever been in was in Santa Fe and it definitely didn't look high end! Not like Whole Paycheck.

I had friends in VT who were both professionals working FT and they qualified for food stamps. Even with both of them working, they lived in one of those old travel trailers (Airstream, but the really small one). And I knew plenty of people at IBM who had their kids on Medicaid.

Referring to business - I thought it was interesting as we were being sold on the Costco image/demographics thing and we all were saying we did not 'appreciate' the majority of guests who came on the discounted gift cards. That is why I posted this article, not trying to get dander up for anyone. Mine is already up.
whatchutalkingabout_smile.gif

Referring to business - I thought it was interesting as we were being sold on the Costco image/demographics thing and we all were saying we did not 'appreciate' the majority of guests who came on the discounted gift cards. That is why I posted this article, not trying to get dander up for anyone. Mine is already up.
whatchutalkingabout_smile.gif
No dander up here. Just commenting that food stamps do not necessarily equal people who can't afford (all the time) nice vacations. However, I DO perceive the 'Costco-like' shopping venues to not be the place to sell GC's to B&B's. Just the idea of buying them there implies 'cheap, mass-marketed goods'.

With a wine called '3 buck chuck' I never thought of Trader Joe's as 'high end'. The only one I've ever been in was in Santa Fe and it definitely didn't look high end! Not like Whole Paycheck.
Whole Foods accepts food stamps also. Basically, it is built into the credit card processing system. Perhaps B&Bs will be next. They could be used to pay for the breakfast portion.

Accepting food stamps is more about the kinds of goods you sell versus how "high end" a place is or isn't. If you sell bread/milk/eggs, etc that food stamps are eligible to pay for you are more likely to accept them.

food stamps - i thought they changed to some kind of voucher card years ago. anyway. any place that sells FOOD should accept them. but only for FOOD. those are the rules. they've recently starting accepting them at local farmers' markets. this is a good thing. to buy fruits and veggies grown locally.
i never thought of costco as a place for affluent bargain hunters to go. just people who buy in bulk. i was at one in florida last fall and was amazed at the travel packages in these sealed plastic containers showing pictures of places like aruba. that was totally new to me.
i used to think trader joe's was expensive. it depends on how youshop and what you buy. i've found some great quality, competitvely priced food there in the past year. i don't know how it was in years before because i wasn't a regular shopper.
i wouldn't be concerned about where those cards are sold. my friend i have mentioned before who constantly hunts up bargains and asks for discounts is a traveler .... and if he likes a place he stays at, he goes back and stays again and again. he loves to feel like he's getting a deal.

food stamps - i thought they changed to some kind of voucher card years ago. anyway. any place that sells FOOD should accept them. but only for FOOD. those are the rules. they've recently starting accepting them at local farmers' markets. this is a good thing. to buy fruits and veggies grown locally.
i never thought of costco as a place for affluent bargain hunters to go. just people who buy in bulk. i was at one in florida last fall and was amazed at the travel packages in these sealed plastic containers showing pictures of places like aruba. that was totally new to me.
i used to think trader joe's was expensive. it depends on how youshop and what you buy. i've found some great quality, competitvely priced food there in the past year. i don't know how it was in years before because i wasn't a regular shopper.
i wouldn't be concerned about where those cards are sold. my friend i have mentioned before who constantly hunts up bargains and asks for discounts is a traveler .... and if he likes a place he stays at, he goes back and stays again and again. he loves to feel like he's getting a deal..
Food stamps is kind of just generic these days. At least 40 states use credit card voucher system now instead of the actual food stamps.

I have never been in a Costco. Is it like Sam's Club? My Daddy used to buy me a membership at Sam's Club but I rarely went there - no items that were DH menu, fresh stuff was not that much cheaper that my regular store, and by this time the "animals " were gone and we would not use the sizes or quantities they packaged. Plus it cost more to drive there than it was worth. After Daddy died, I never went to Sam's again.
BTW my son took a wine class a few years ago - to learn what "good" wine was - and he said the Three Buck Chuck was a pretty good wine surprisingly.

Food stamps are what they are called, they have debit cards now, go to any grocery store the first of the month and you will see them in action.

Back