costing things out

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joey Camb

Reaction score
What does everyone who does this include? some things are obvious ie cost of laundry/toiletries/breakfast. but how do you work out electricity? ie divide the average bill by the number of rooms stayed or people? I appreciate people do different things ie extras that cost more or less depending but It is something I am working on so am curious what people do.

our accountant has figured up a % for business & personal based on square footage of this place.

I'm interested in how someone prices up the food. I've seen programs for restaurant kitchens but they are too involved. For us, as for many in this area, nothing is 'in season' for very long. Guests are always asking if I picked the mango fresh that morning. So fruit is our big ticket item. Probably the most expensive part of the meal and it's also the smallest part. (Luckily!) I keep saying I'm going to have make Gomez weigh the portions when the food starts slopping over the edges of the plates.

You have fixed costs that you can calculate when no one is in the building...if you have access to your electric meter, water meter, etc you can see what is used for the week you are closed. That's the basic amount the building needs to run all the appliances while they are just sitting there. You can then take a really busy week where it is hot/cold (so heating and cooling is also running) and do the same thing. That's the maximum it will run. You can subtract out the fixed cost to know what the guests are costing you.
We marvel that the building costs so much to run in Jan when no one is here. Lights are off, everything is unplugged but the fridge and still the bill is huge.

Are you wanting to cost out the guest rooms or the entire business? The entire business is easy enough from my annual taxes. Break down of cost per guest room is what I thought you were asking on the other thread. Steve Wirt has a spreadsheet on this. If he pops in maybe he can post it. We did have it on here a while back...
How much does it cost per guest room. How much does it cost with no one in the guest room...anyway...or if it is occupied. ie if you have individ room heaters then the cost rises significantly if it is occupied. If you water metre is per gal/litre vs bulk (I am not sure how they do all of that for businesses in the UK, I know the rest is all added into the council fees. Here it is broken down and we all pay it individually/monthly as well as sewer, rubbish removal, recycling, etc)

Here tis: B&B planning spreadsheets - at the bottom of this page it is an xls file.
Look at the diff tabs on the spreadsheet itself "Consumables Per Couple"

Are you wanting to cost out the guest rooms or the entire business? The entire business is easy enough from my annual taxes. Break down of cost per guest room is what I thought you were asking on the other thread. Steve Wirt has a spreadsheet on this. If he pops in maybe he can post it. We did have it on here a while back...
How much does it cost per guest room. How much does it cost with no one in the guest room...anyway...or if it is occupied. ie if you have individ room heaters then the cost rises significantly if it is occupied. If you water metre is per gal/litre vs bulk (I am not sure how they do all of that for businesses in the UK, I know the rest is all added into the council fees. Here it is broken down and we all pay it individually/monthly as well as sewer, rubbish removal, recycling, etc).
I thought I had seen the spreadsheet somewhere before! Thanks.

Back