Cottage Question ?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Ideas, comments, thoughts wanted...if you had/have a Cottage and were going to chose between ..1. Flipkey 2. VRBO 3. HomeAway, as another site for vacation people/extended stay. Thanks for all info..mary in bwater :)

AirBnB as well, very reasonable and you can put a nice listing up there!

I have a cottage and it is just booked and advertised through my regular channels ...

I have a cottage and I won't list it on any vacation rental sites. In my area there are hundreds of vacation rentals, a lot with front/ocean views (which I don't have) and charge about what I do, but they let 16 people sleep in them! I don't want that crowd and I also don't want to have to justify who and what we are to people who are looking to cram their families for about $20 per person.
I do have the cottage page on my website marketed separately so I can pick up people who are doing searches for "cabin" or "cottage" in my region. That seems to work well because I'm not just one on a list of vacation rentals.

I have a cottage and I won't list it on any vacation rental sites. In my area there are hundreds of vacation rentals, a lot with front/ocean views (which I don't have) and charge about what I do, but they let 16 people sleep in them! I don't want that crowd and I also don't want to have to justify who and what we are to people who are looking to cram their families for about $20 per person.
I do have the cottage page on my website marketed separately so I can pick up people who are doing searches for "cabin" or "cottage" in my region. That seems to work well because I'm not just one on a list of vacation rentals..
First, I do not have a cottage, so speaking tongue in cheek. BD, I think you bring up a very good point here. The sites mentioned by Mary are known for vacation rentals which are not the same as a B&B.
Mary, If you decide to post your cottage on one of these, be very clear of the type of place you are. Have policies that are very strict - ONLY # max guests, others will be turned away - say you LIVE on SITE.

I like the others agree...you won't get the kind of people you want staying in your cottage!! Just market it along with your B & B. Several of the B & B's here in Luray and Stanley have cottages and they market to "romantic" private get away/ or elopement stay. Guests get the breakfast in a basket delivered to the door. People love it. No need to market it at the Cabin rental sites. Check out their sites.

Don't forget you can list your cottage separately on Virginia.org (once they release the new website and access to adding a new listing there).

Back