Could I get a critique from my friends?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do you guys think the menu arrangement is logical? Is it easy to navigate?
One thing I attempted to do is get as much information about the rooms and pricing on one page as I could. I noticed through Google Analytics that most visitors were never getting past the first or second pages. They would just see the phone number on the first page and call..
Easy to navigate. Menu arrangement logical.
Like the box with the cancellation policies.
Don't want to beat a dead horse but don't like the stock photos throughout. I'm assuming those will be changed later?
The "couples" photos are some I had taken for our romance package brochure. I'm just using them as filler at the moment before I go live.
I'm not talking about the couples photos here. It's the stock photos. Are those filler, too?

SOrry to say..I am not a fan of your color scheme. The greens all seem to clash and it is hard on the eyes. I also not that some page have a san serif ( Arial???)and others have serif ( Times Roman) And for me the font size is just a bit too small.
The room photos are very nice, but having them just small images in a pop up window, doesn't get it for me. I would like to see them all in a bigger size. Show off what you have..
catlady said:
SOrry to say..I am not a fan of your color scheme. The greens all seem to clash and it is hard on the eyes. I also not that some page have a san serif ( Arial???)and others have serif ( Times Roman) And for me the font size is just a bit too small.
The room photos are very nice, but having them just small images in a pop up window, doesn't get it for me. I would like to see them all in a bigger size. Show off what you have.
Noted. Would you mind me asking what browser your using and what is the size of your monitor? The font's are set at 12pt with the headers at 18pt and 24pt. Normally, that should be large enough.
I'm sorry you don't like my color scheme. It's loosley based on an "Arts & Crafts" pallette, which would not be considered modern and trendy by current standards. But, modern and trendy is not the look I'm going for. I'm looking more for a "Martha Stewart meets James Muir" look. We are in the woods and I want to convey woodsy with out using the usual cliché motifs.
I am using Firefox and My monitor is a 20 inch screen. I still think you could choose more complentary green colors if you want to stay green. This is what I consider arts and crafts palette. http://img.hgtv.com/HGTV/2004/03/09/artsandcrafts_color_designstyles_lg.jpg
Your greens do no invoke 'woodsy' to me. Sorry.
Well, I may have to abandon the "Arts & Crafts" idea. I have too much advertising material printed up to start messing with my logo, so I'll possibly look for colors that compliment it.
Proud Texan said:
Well, I may have to abandon the "Arts & Crafts" idea. I have too much advertising material printed up to start messing with my logo, so I'll possibly look for colors that compliment it.
I actually like the Arts & Crafts idea and your logo. Just think the colors could be tweaked to be slightly less Reggae and slightly more Martha.

R, did you shave your beard for all those pix? Just kidding. :)
  1. I like the navigation. I would prob move specials up right below rooms and rates. and have About US and Directions toward the bottom.
  2. When I am on the weberv frame page I can't located a HOME button. There is not LARGE IMAGE on this page as the header and I already forgot what this place looks like, so wanted a to refresh my memory on how nice it is before I book my room. (also not sure if you like to have multiple windows open, I do). I am not a fan of BACK BUTTONS, and think most people have gone away from them...we just trudge on ahead...
  3. As for people the seniors are the only ones that distract me. Don't want to see old grey haired people, would rather see HIP seniors fishing or by the campfire...but really not see them at all.
  4. I still think you need a MUCH LARGER image of those rocking chairs. They really tie the color scheme together and the theme of relaxation. (Oops again went back so didn't realize it was a slideshow. See how we are! Good thing I checked again)
  5. I would agree to make the home page font larger. It is the WELCOME TO THE LAKE page. I am on a new version of Chrome, fyi.
  6. Ahh! There is a picture gallery, see I didn't see then once I started the journey and ended up checking avail. Wait, did I transverse back to the orig website? I think I did since I couldn't find a HOME button on the toolbar, so I did the cut off of the extra info on the URL.
My 2 cents.
I like the colorscheme, I am fond of bold bright cheerful colors like Catalina/Bauer/Fiestaware. :)

One thing I attempted to do is get as much information about the rooms and pricing on one page as I could. I noticed through Google Analytics that most visitors were never getting past the first or second pages. They would just see the phone number on the first page and call..
Don't want to beat a dead horse but don't like the stock photos throughout. I'm assuming those will be changed later?
The "couples" photos are some I had taken for our romance package brochure. I'm just using them as filler at the moment before I go live.
I'm not talking about the couples photos here. It's the stock photos. Are those filler, too?
What stock photos? Those are all actual photos of my B&B. If you mean the food pictures, that's my honey's cooking!

What stock photos? Those are all actual photos of my B&B. If you mean the food pictures, that's my honey's cooking!
The seniors in the senior discount gadget were the ones that really jumped out at me first.
But the bell, too. Not only because I think those bells are overdone on hotel sites but also because they really imply that it's a hotel where you can ring for the bellhop.
Sure they can ring for the innkeeper but we all hope they don't think room service is coming every time they do.

The seniors in the senior discount gadget were the ones that really jumped out at me first.
But the bell, too. Not only because I think those bells are overdone on hotel sites but also because they really imply that it's a hotel where you can ring for the bellhop.
Sure they can ring for the innkeeper but we all hope they don't think room service is coming every time they do.
Innkeeper To Go said:
For the seniors, I suppose I could use a picture of me and DW instead.
lol-053.gif
Though we're not as pretty. What would you suggest for "concierge service"?

Innkeeper To Go said:
lol-053.gif
Proud Texan said:
Innkeeper To Go said:
lol-053.gif
Hehe, well, I could use mine for a senior photo, too, I suppose. I have used my MIL's photo myself for that - she's famous all over California now, we tell her - so maybe one of your family members wouldn't mind the same thing. Caution: do not even think of asking your DW to be the model for the senior pix. You've been married long enough, though, to probably know that already!
For the concierge, I think if I were to use a photo at all, it would be one of you and/or DW maybe helping a guest. Guest opening a map, with one of you helping them out or something like that.

Innkeeper To Go said:
lol-053.gif
Proud Texan said:
Innkeeper To Go said:
lol-053.gif
Hehe, well, I could use mine for a senior photo, too, I suppose. I have used my MIL's photo myself for that - she's famous all over California now, we tell her - so maybe one of your family members wouldn't mind the same thing. Caution: do not even think of asking your DW to be the model for the senior pix. You've been married long enough, though, to probably know that already!
For the concierge, I think if I were to use a photo at all, it would be one of you and/or DW maybe helping a guest. Guest opening a map, with one of you helping them out or something like that.
Innkeeper To Go said:
I like that idea. Although, If I did that I could use it for my senior photo too!

i like the new pictures but would probably put all but one of the sequence of that couple in the romance package section instead of all on the home page ... that's been said by others.
how about replacing the side menu bar with horizontal buttons and a drop down with details on sub menus? since you like bright colors (and there's nothing wrong with that!) there wouldn't be that strong green on either side of the picture ... for me, to have the green on each side, or another block of color and text on either side, it takes away from the pictures and is distracting ... i don't know where to look. and it's a very busy site.
as for font size, it's fine for me. but on the test site, home page ... the W in 'we' is about six spaces to the left of 'e'. Firefox browser. i haven't been on every page on the site but it moved along very quickly ... thumbs up from me because my web connection can be really pokey
thumbs_up.gif
thumbs_up.gif

good luck with it!

i like the new pictures but would probably put all but one of the sequence of that couple in the romance package section instead of all on the home page ... that's been said by others.
how about replacing the side menu bar with horizontal buttons and a drop down with details on sub menus? since you like bright colors (and there's nothing wrong with that!) there wouldn't be that strong green on either side of the picture ... for me, to have the green on each side, or another block of color and text on either side, it takes away from the pictures and is distracting ... i don't know where to look. and it's a very busy site.
as for font size, it's fine for me. but on the test site, home page ... the W in 'we' is about six spaces to the left of 'e'. Firefox browser. i haven't been on every page on the site but it moved along very quickly ... thumbs up from me because my web connection can be really pokey
thumbs_up.gif
thumbs_up.gif

good luck with it!.
O.K., I've messed with the color scheme on the first page ONLY.
I toned down the green substantially. What do you think?
http://www.oakcreekbnb.com/new_website/index.htm
btw: It was always my intent to put the couples pics in the romance package section. I was mostly concerned about navigation and logic of information placement.
I attempted the horizontal menu, but could never find a script that would work for me.

It looks great. I really like what you've done with it! It looks fresh and inviting.
My eyes found the three different shades of green difficult...actually, four, if you count the teal-y color of the oak leaves in your header. I am thinking that a use of that great golden color in your header might be needed somewhere else on the pages just to tie it all together. The welcome box at the upper left is just a smidge different in green compared to your navagation bar. Maybe the same shade? Or a little bigger of a shade difference.
Is it not all linked together? I didn't see how to get back to the home page from any of the other pages.
I like the pop up of the room photos, but I'd love to be able to either see them bigger. Maybe clicking on the main room photo and getting to look at them more clearly. Not sure...just typing aloud here.
In your dinner by the fire part, the first paragraph, third sentence, it needs a capital "W" for the "We". The food shots are great. Love to see more!
Can I come visit?? You place is beautiful!

thumbs_up.gif
thumbs_up.gif

good luck with it!.
btw: It was always my intent to put the couples pics in the romance package section. I was mostly concerned about navigation and logic of information placement.
I attempted the horizontal menu, but could never find a script that would work for me.
Okay, I typed as you typed...I like the new green

i like the new green. it's much easier to read ... i really prefer your white text on darker green to the yellow text on the lime green.

thumbs_up.gif
thumbs_up.gif

good luck with it!.
The new green definitely is more Martha and less Reggae. Like it.

ps the site we're looking at isn't live yet ... he has the 'real' site live still. so i wouldn't expect all the links to work, etc. it's a work in progress.

thumbs_up.gif
thumbs_up.gif

good luck with it!.
Everyone is talking about a slide show - I could not find it. I had a heck of a time getting it to let me click on The Property - I would get to The Innkeepers and the menu would go away.

thumbs_up.gif
thumbs_up.gif

good luck with it!.
Everyone is talking about a slide show - I could not find it. I had a heck of a time getting it to let me click on The Property - I would get to The Innkeepers and the menu would go away.
gillumhouse said:
What browser are you using? That might effect the menu. I need to know if there are issues. The slide show is on the very first page. It runs on javascript, so your browser needs to support javascript and have it turned on in the preferences.

ps the site we're looking at isn't live yet ... he has the 'real' site live still. so i wouldn't expect all the links to work, etc. it's a work in progress..
seashanty said:
ps the site we're looking at isn't live yet ... he has the 'real' site live still. so i wouldn't expect all the links to work, etc. it's a work in progress.
Thank you SS. You're exactly right. I'm primarily working on the colors the navigation and really really cleaning up the underlying html code.

Looks like things are well in hand here. Just one thing from the technical side... Google is fast. Use robots.txt to block /new_website. You really don't want search engines indexing your developement directory.

Back