Could I get a critique from my friends?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Like the new darker color scheme very much. I think you hit the nail on the head with these. I really like the larger picture set up you have on your property page. If I were in your shoes, I would be using it (or that layout) as your home page. People like to see pictures! Nice size pictures. I think it was JB (forgive me if I am wrong) who said in another thread that she likes to look into the photo.
The Menu system works well but one thing I would change here is what is covered under "About Us" - or change the header to "Innformation". After all the sites I have viewed, when I see "About us" I am thinking this is about the innkeepers. I think you will get more calls about your policies and property as people saying they did not see it.
I like your rooms (change to Cabins) page and the info clearly stated on the right side...love the cancelation box! Clever. One thing I would do is to mention the amenities in your top sentance with a page down link in the word. Yes, I know it is right there! Speaking of the amenities - ok, you use features - I see you have massage listed but it is not included - while everything else is. (Use the word complimentary, it drives it home that you get these all included) I would not place this here. Too many miss the fine print. It would be better to make a note to "Check out our extras (or packages, etc) here" (link)
Oh, and use the word cottage instead of room in all places!!!
I do not mind the people pics but will say that some do look too staged i.e. the fishing one. I think it would look less staged if they were sitting on the bank, backs to the camera. Faceless people make it easier to allow you to put yourself there, and that is what the objective is with these shots.. make them dream of being there.
I am with all the others about the font style I like Arial - nice clean lines. The font size is fine for me but it could be slightly larger without giving the impression of yelling.

i like the new pictures but would probably put all but one of the sequence of that couple in the romance package section instead of all on the home page ... that's been said by others.
how about replacing the side menu bar with horizontal buttons and a drop down with details on sub menus? since you like bright colors (and there's nothing wrong with that!) there wouldn't be that strong green on either side of the picture ... for me, to have the green on each side, or another block of color and text on either side, it takes away from the pictures and is distracting ... i don't know where to look. and it's a very busy site.
as for font size, it's fine for me. but on the test site, home page ... the W in 'we' is about six spaces to the left of 'e'. Firefox browser. i haven't been on every page on the site but it moved along very quickly ... thumbs up from me because my web connection can be really pokey
thumbs_up.gif
thumbs_up.gif

good luck with it!.
O.K., I've messed with the color scheme on the first page ONLY.
I toned down the green substantially. What do you think?
http://www.oakcreekbnb.com/new_website/index.htm
btw: It was always my intent to put the couples pics in the romance package section. I was mostly concerned about navigation and logic of information placement.
I attempted the horizontal menu, but could never find a script that would work for me.
I like those shades better, now tone down the bright yellow a bit to match :)

i like the new pictures but would probably put all but one of the sequence of that couple in the romance package section instead of all on the home page ... that's been said by others.
how about replacing the side menu bar with horizontal buttons and a drop down with details on sub menus? since you like bright colors (and there's nothing wrong with that!) there wouldn't be that strong green on either side of the picture ... for me, to have the green on each side, or another block of color and text on either side, it takes away from the pictures and is distracting ... i don't know where to look. and it's a very busy site.
as for font size, it's fine for me. but on the test site, home page ... the W in 'we' is about six spaces to the left of 'e'. Firefox browser. i haven't been on every page on the site but it moved along very quickly ... thumbs up from me because my web connection can be really pokey
thumbs_up.gif
thumbs_up.gif

good luck with it!.
btw: It was always my intent to put the couples pics in the romance package section. I was mostly concerned about navigation and logic of information placement.
I attempted the horizontal menu, but could never find a script that would work for me.
catlady said:
I do too, and agree about the yellow. The all dark green was just too much.

thumbs_up.gif
thumbs_up.gif

good luck with it!.
I have no idea what my browser is - I am using Internet Explorer. Now that I know where to look.... I have the red rocking chair BUT now that I look, I can see a sliver of the next frame and the slide show is sliding there, I can see changing colors.
OK, About Us and Specials are the only ones that have a drop-down. I counted 9 tries to get beyond the 3rd before it disappeared when on rooms BUT this time when it left with the cursor over the photo of the cottage - i got a collage of each cottage when I put the cursor on it! The ONLY frame that let me look at the drop down was when I was on Directions. Specials had been working but this morning it was slipping away too.. This is weird. I have been sitting on directions as I typed (got interrupted by DH) came back and went to check again and it is not holding there either now. I guess I cannot help you with this because it must be my computer because it is a maybe yes/maybe no thing - sometimes it hold (Specials were holding and now they are maybe). You DO NEED a HOME button. I had to go thru a lot of back to get to Home. The red rocking hair is still there withthe slide show just peeking ro the right.
Sorry I could not be more helpful.

I am opening it now, but read your comments and wanted to say:
PT wrote: (1) I have embedded my Webervations page into an IFRAME so that it would have the look and feel of my website. I still have to edit the webervations page so that it looks correct in the new design. Also, because it is in an IFRAME, there is the issue of not being able to see the URL in the address block or the lock in the status bar to show the guest that it is actually on a secure site. I have a disclaimer to set to the site with a link to pull the Webervations page out of the frame. However, I spoke with Webervations and I should be able to upload my CSS style sheet and images up to their server and eliminate this problem by reconstructing the page there.
Coming from one who had weberv embedded in a frame, be prepared to tackle the phone calls telling you it is not secure processing, I had plenty of them, even though it was secure and said so. I am now using reservation key and you can use their online system and edit the color to scheme to match yours. Just thought I would share that, and the price is way better and it has many more features..
That's why I'll probably go with uploading my images and CSS to Webervations.
That's why I'll probably go with uploading my images and CSS to Webervations.
Yes, definitely get it out of the iframe. You can edit most of the template within webervations. You just need the other files like images and external css uploaded to their server so they don't trigger security warnings too. However, I suggest for that one page, put the css in the head rather than as an external file, it makes it so you can change it, as opposed to having to send them a new css file and wait for them to replace the old one.

It's definitely an improvement from the old site. I wish you had larger photos of the interior of the cottages. And, I would play up the water and porches for relaxation. I actually like the photo of the couple in the hammock!

Thank you all so much for the feedback. I took much of what you said under advisement and did the best I could within the scope of my technical abilities. I looked at the old colors next to the new colors and ya'll were right. Yuk! What was I thinking?
I made a big change in how the room pictures are displayed. The big changes are what's under the hood. I dramatically cleaned and tweaked the CSS and made numerous adjustments to accomodate the evil Internet Explorer (why can't browsers just get along?)
One vast improvement was figuring out how to do a Flash slide presentation as opposed to one using javascript. It's sooooooo much smoother.
You may now view the new and improved site: http://www.oakcreekbnb.com/
I'm in the process of massaging the keywords to see if I can reduce my bounce rate.

Thank you all so much for the feedback. I took much of what you said under advisement and did the best I could within the scope of my technical abilities. I looked at the old colors next to the new colors and ya'll were right. Yuk! What was I thinking?
I made a big change in how the room pictures are displayed. The big changes are what's under the hood. I dramatically cleaned and tweaked the CSS and made numerous adjustments to accomodate the evil Internet Explorer (why can't browsers just get along?)
One vast improvement was figuring out how to do a Flash slide presentation as opposed to one using javascript. It's sooooooo much smoother.
I'm in the process of massaging the keywords to see if I can reduce my bounce rate..
Proud Texan said:
I'm in the process of massaging the keywords to see if I can reduce my bounce rate.
Good work! Check your Specials > Romance Packages page. Something is amiss. (And change the wording on the Specials button to Specials and Deals or Special Deals.)

I'm in the process of massaging the keywords to see if I can reduce my bounce rate..
Like it. Really like the way you did the area attractions page.
All it needs now is your continued voice. Why no blog link?

Very nice, but I do have a couple of other tweeks for ya...
If you can, change the TA words to be in the same mild yellow as your "Welcome", the white is just over powering.
The other thing is to make a link from each paragraph heading to the approp. page " Private Cottages" link to rooms & rates - etc. do not miss an op to get them to look further.
One more additional note: As I said before, these rotating pictures distract me from reading, I did see a site recently (maybe one that JB said she liked?) that had the pictures make one complete round then froze. For me that would work well, and it was easy to go another round by clicking on the pic. I do LOVE the pictures and they do sell the place!!!!

Innkeeper To Go said:
Who the heck has time to blog?

Proud Texan said:
Good work! Check your Specials > Romance Packages page. Something is amiss. (And change the wording on the Specials button to Specials and Deals or Special Deals.)
IronGate said:
Proud Texan said:
Fixed. I'm still working on that page AND the Romance Package.

Looks great! I agree with CH...get those links to your other pages working for you! The room pics setup is definitely much better!

Innkeeper To Go said:
Who the heck has time to blog?
It does not have to take more than 5 minutes. Short and sweet, what's going on, what's interesting. Just like here.

I like this alot better. I did have a question about some of the "ads" you have on your site. Are these folks paying you to have them? For some reason to me, it takes away from the site. Just my opinion.

I saw the rotating pictures!!! Still having problems with the drop down menues not holding so I can click on a lower menue item.

Quick note in firefox i could not get your whole reservation page to work. it cuts off the bottom somehow. If I click on the frame breaker under the verisign area it works ok.
PS we are looking at who to use to do the credit card stuff and my partner used Superinn but i was comparing.

Quick note in firefox i could not get your whole reservation page to work. it cuts off the bottom somehow. If I click on the frame breaker under the verisign area it works ok.
PS we are looking at who to use to do the credit card stuff and my partner used Superinn but i was comparing..
I use Firefox as well and it worked fine for me this morning either way.

Back